Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wstephanie641
    • May 2016

Cheapest Solar Panel System in Perth, WA

I want to install a solar panel system to my new home. I want to know which type of solar panel system is beneficial and which solar company's solar panel system will be cheaper and has longer life?
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

You should start out by getting at least 5 cost estimates from installers and get the list of hardware they are proposing.

Comment

Installing a solar panel system is really a big help. I had a solar panel system installed over a year and a half ago by SunSource Group and now have credit (+) $300 on my electricity account. The cheapest system may not necessarily be the best value for money and the most expensive solar gain may be overkill for what you want. At the end of the day you will want a system that is reliable, cost-effective, and will save or even earn you money. To determine which system is best for you, think about: What you are prepared to spend. The amount of appropriate roof space you have available. How much power you want to generate and what you will use. The quality of the components you want used in the solar power installation. The level of service you expect from your installer, including after-sales service. Technicalities you can handle involved in the installation, i.e. – lead time. Hope this helps

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by saav
        Installing a solar panel system is really a big help. I had a solar panel system installed over a year and a half ago by SunSource Group and now have credit (+) $300 on my electricity account. The cheapest system may not necessarily be the best value for money and the most expensive solar gain may be overkill for what you want. At the end of the day you will want a system that is reliable, cost-effective, and will save or even earn you money. To determine which system is best for you, think about: What you are prepared to spend. The amount of appropriate roof space you have available. How much power you want to generate and what you will use. The quality of the components you want used in the solar power installation. The level of service you expect from your installer, including after-sales service. Technicalities you can handle involved in the installation, i.e. – lead time. Hope this helps
        Thank you for the advice and suggestions. I also thank you for deleting your first post with the advertisement link.

We are always happy to get good information on solar installations but frown on people advertising on this website without first getting approval from the Admin Solar Pete.

Comment

• BrentEMarvin
          • May 2016

Go solar means going green it's good to hear that you are going with solar energy. I have installed solar panel on my roof from freedomsolar.com the company is quite good and provide you solar panel on a very low price. Even when you install solar panel in your home they give you a grantee for a year or it depends on the company's term and condition.

Comment

• MetricAmerica
            • May 2016

First things first, what city/state do you live in? Some utlities, even planning boards, will fight tooth n nail, not to get you solar you want! Then find dealers/contractors...All the systems are pretty much equal, you still have to go shopping for the 'cheapest' panel/equipment, can't help you there, education is the cheapest route for now...

Comment

• dex
              • Jun 2016

Are you opposed to installing the panels yourself? The real cost of solar isn't what these solar companies are charging. They are making way too much money off the consumer

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by dex
                Are you opposed to installing the panels yourself? The real cost of solar isn't what these solar companies are charging. They are making way too much money off the consumer
                I agree that the labor price of a Contractor increases the total cost of an installation but if you perform a DIY then you are the one responsible if any equipment should fail due how it was designed or installed.

Paying for a Contractor to perform the work includes the responsibility for them to make the system work correctly. Sort of like buying insurance.

You just have to weigh the price of your ability to install it correctly compared to a licensed Contractor. Sometime a DIY is better. Sometimes not.

Comment

• dex
                  • Jun 2016

You're also paying for labor, overhead and salespeople. I would recommend just hiring an electrician or even finding electrician crews who now install panels. Still saves you thousands. I used to work for a solar company and it's a complete ripoff. Buying your own kit you are just buying the materials and having someone qualified install. I've had a few friends do it this way after the success with my setup.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by dex
                    You're also paying for labor, overhead and salespeople. I would recommend just hiring an electrician or even finding electrician crews who now install panels. Still saves you thousands. I used to work for a solar company and it's a complete ripoff. Buying your own kit you are just buying the materials and having someone qualified install. I've had a few friends do it this way after the success with my setup.
                    I am glad is work out for you.

Sadly here in Florida you have to have not only a certified electrician license but also a Contractor needs to be certified for solar installations. If you live in any community a DIY is off the table.

Comment

• dex
                      • Jun 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle

I am glad is work out for you.

Sadly here in Florida you have to have not only a certified electrician license but also a Contractor needs to be certified for solar installations. If you live in any community a DIY is off the table.

Will these contractors do an install on a piece rate?

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by dex

Will these contractors do an install on a piece rate?
                        Maybe. They still have to list the installation with the city which then falls under inspection including the required installers certification. It would be hard to not used a fully license installer or a system could be red flagged and never turned on.

It is a mute point for me since I plan on moving in about 1 year. Even if I could get the total price down to $2/watt or less the payback is still over 5 years. My power is < $0.10/kWh so hard to financially justify solar pv.

Comment

• Curtisy
                          • Jun 2016

If anyone knows any electricians in Maryland that will install my 8Kw system I'm purchasing online, please let me know. Solar companies are taking advantage of consumers and I don't plan to use them. Thank you.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Curtisy
                            If anyone knows any electricians in Maryland that will install my 8Kw system I'm purchasing online, please let me know. Solar companies are taking advantage of consumers and I don't plan to use them. Thank you.
                            If you do find an experienced solar contractor to perform your installation please be careful because the lowest price usually comes with the lowest quality.

Comment

• Curtisy
                              Curtisy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Okay, thank you.
                          • J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle

If you do find an experienced solar contractor to perform your installation please be careful because the lowest price usually comes with the lowest quality.
                            FWIW, +1. You get what you pay for, or less. The good feeling of a low price doesn't last anywhere as long as the problems of low quality and lack of professionalism which only get worse with time. The cost of low quality never leaves.

Comment

Working...