Need to work in installed system (live wires)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan Z
    • Mar 2016

Need to work in installed system (live wires)

Per my inspector, I need to make changes to the grounding connections at my roof disconnect box. The system is all installed and this box receives the trunk cables (two branch microinverter system). So, the hot wires will be live (unless I want to work on the roof in the dark). My plan is to work late in the day when there is no direct sun on the panels, but I think they still generate power from ambient light. So, I'm told people put blankets on the panels to block the sun.

Questions: are there other safety precautions I should take? I may not be able to 100% cover the panels due to the array size/shape. What should I do in this case? Should I touch the hots to the ground in order to dissipate any charge in the system?
  • Logan005
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2015

Get a professional. You are not qualified to do this!
    4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• Dan Z
      • Mar 2016

I installed the entire system myself.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Dan Z
        I installed the entire system myself.
        Thus why it has to be fixed. Short the panels out.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

You used microinverters. Throw the breaker, and the AC circuit is dead. Only live wires are the DC connections from each panel to its inverter.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Logan005
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2015

You should always handle High voltage AC circuits as though they are live.
            4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• ncs55
              • Apr 2016

Hire a trained licensed professional to fix the improper installation. But if you must proceed, then shut off all of the AC breakers at the POC. Then use a good meter to check the circuit before touching it.

Comment

• ncs55
                • Apr 2016

Per my inspector, I need to make changes to the grounding connections at my roof disconnect box. The system is all installed and this box receives the trunk cables (two branch microinverter system). So, the hot wires will be live (unless I want to work on the roof in the dark). My plan is to work late in the day when there is no direct sun on the panels, but I think they still generate power from ambient light. So, I'm told people put blankets on the panels to block the sun.

Questions: are there other safety precautions I should take? I may not be able to 100% cover the panels due to the array size/shape. What should I do in this case? Should I touch the hots to the ground in order to dissipate any charge in the system?
                Hire a trained licensed professional. Like Logan said, you are not qualified for this.
                However, if you must risk your life to save a few dollars you must be safe first. Before doing anything, wear your (PPE), personal protection equipment, turn off all of the breakers at the POC. Test all of the circuits and or the grounding for current or ground faults first before touching any wiring or grounding. And NEVER touch any positive to a negative or ground EVER. This assumes that the micros are functioning correctly and no DC voltage or current has made it into the AC junction box.

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

Don't even think you can cover the panels well enough to eliminate full DC voltage output. I have done plenty of work at night
                  to avoid loss of production, though its easier when you can just drive a vehicle over with headlights or set up lights on the ground.

However with micros, the DC isn't going to be enough voltage to be a hazard. Get the AC disconnected; better yet throw a
                  short on the AC output line. Things get more dangerous with high voltage strings. Bruce Roe

Comment

• MGE
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2013

If you have micros why don't you disconnect them from all the panels and turn your breaker off in your service panel. Then you have Zero voltage. Make your connections to the grounds and reconnect the micros to the panels and turn the breaker back on.

Comment

Working...