Permits and installation accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permits and installation accuracy

Generally speaking, how exact do I need to be when doing the installation, and how big of an error is normally tolerated and/or can be amended in the field with the help of the inspector? I understand that it may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but some typical figures would help. Can't find this info anywhere. Let's assume that we're talking about a ground mount, and the array is safely away from any setback boundaries, so the only problem is that some distance markings in the plot plan are incorrect. Would, say, being off by 2 feet be an issue, or is it better to go to the building department and do an official plan amendment?

Its time to talk to the inspector, if the distances truly are outside of setback, I would expect its a non issue unless the project required site plan review of some sort for the installation. This would be rare in most areas but I expect there are some jurisdictions (probably large affluent cities) that are anal enough to require site plan review for accessory residential structures. Most folks generally advocate that its best to talk to the inspector and keep him in the loop, he is best qualified to make the call if in his opinion that the application should be amended. One thing that some folks don't understand is that the inspector is predominately hired to act as a agent of the local zoning and code authority (somewhat similar to a police officer), his job is to act to enforce the zoning/planning rules. His job is not to make or modify those rules as he/she doesn't have the authority to do so. Generally every inspector will figure out what the hot points are with the zoning/planning laws and where is his given leeway and he will use that long term experience to make the call.

On the other hand when it comes to things like building code enforcement, the inspector does have latitude, if he/she is willing to accept changes and alterations to the building code in effect, he/she may do so but it could open that individual up to litigation in the future if that decision leads to an accident.

Comment

Originally posted by eugenek View Post
      \ Would, say, being off by 2 feet be an issue, or is it better to go to the building department and do an official plan amendment?
      I'd probably go to the building dept.
      It'll take an extra hour to gp do the ammendment -but most likely for something fairly minor like that they won't even charge to amend the permit.

Comment

I would do the amendment if it were only one hour. It is an hour round trip just to get to the building department, and, if I have to hit up all stations (zoning, electrical, etc) like I did when I got the permit in the first place, it's a better part of the day (last time I got there at 8 and left with all papers signed at around 2).
        The problem with the suggestion to talk to the inspector is that I won't even know who the inspector is until he comes for foundation inspection, by which time the holes will have been dug already.
        Perhaps I need to clarify the situation. The plot plan in my permit specifies distances from corners of the array to the fence. After I got it and went to lay out the array, I realized that I somehow messed up the measurements, there is a mound of soil in the way and one corner of the array is shaded by the fence. I want to move the whole thing by 2 feet so it is clear of obstructions.
        I am in San Diego unincorporated county, CA.
        Last edited by eugenek; 04-08-2016, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X