Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cinderella
    • Mar 2016

Bypass/Blocking diode failure

Has anyone maybe experienced a problem with the diodes failing on the solar panel.
    I have two 24V 250W panels connected in parallel, and then connected to an MPPT charge controller/Inverter combo.
    The system shows the panels providing about 120 Watts in the morning, but at midday, the wattage drops to around 9Watts and the batteries are only about 1/3 charged.
    The panel input then disappears off the controller display and only reappear in the late afternoon.
    Can the diodes be causing the problem.
    Any help appreciated.
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

What are the specs of your panels, and are you charging a 24 V battery? With an mppt controller, why aren't the panels in series? It sounds like maybe as the panels warm up, the panel voltage is dropping below the battery voltage and you lose the ability to charge.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

And, no the diodes are not causing the problem.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Few modern panels use Blocking Diodes anymore. Many panels use bypass diodes to reduce partial shading loss. Neither would cause the panel voltage to drop to 9V.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• cinderella
          • Mar 2016

Hi, Thanks for the response, The panels are 24 volts 250 watts fed into a 3Kva Mppt solar charge controller/inverter combo and charge a 24v battery bank.
          If I wired them in series, would that not raise the voltage too much for the charge controller?
          My problem started after a lightening strike took out my inverter which I replaced.
          The system worked reasonably well after that but was never the same.
          I cant seem to get my batteries to charge fully, even by running a 6.5Kva generator into the utility input of the inverter and d I had it running for about 6 hours.

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

If your 250 watt panels are of the 60 cell type they really aren't 24 volt nominal (as in 24 volt battery charging) panels. 60 cell panels are intended for grid tie applications. Their voltage isn't high enough. A 72 cell panel would be considered a 24 volt "nominal" panel. 60 cell panels may be used for battery charging with a TRUE MPPT charge controller and your panels wired in series as long as your maximum open circuit voltage remains below the max voltage allowed by your controller.
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...