Help: Reverse connection Between solar panel and the battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Reverse connection Between solar panel and the battery

when i installed the solar panel to the battery i reversely connected their Electrodes(and there was no any solar charge controller)--- after a while in the dazzling sun the solar panel started to burn severely in the back and so i disconnect it from the battery asap. the back is 1/4 burned (but has not reached the cell yet) is there any way i can fix it or not. the solar panel is 30W, 17.2V, the battery is 24AH, 12V

Time for a new solar panel, charge controller, and some education .
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

You might be able to salvage your panel but IMO it is probably a lost cause.

You should always use a solar Charge Controller to charge a battery unless the panel wattage is very low and is only a trickle charger.

I would also suggest you should read and learn more about electrical connections, following safe practices and procedures while wiring up your components.

Comment

I remember reading something in Home Power that in 3rd world areas, they generally cut the bypass diodes out of the panels as reverse hookups are common and there is less damage without the diodes. Not something I really spent anytime thinking about but it does sound remotely similar

After the fact I did some searching and this popped up

http://www.palangthai.org/docs/BipassDiodes.pdf
        Last edited by peakbagger; 03-30-2016, 12:00 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

No better teacher than loosing money. Like the ole saying goes: "You have been told, now it is time you learned"
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
          X