Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deprived
    • Mar 2016

Renogy MT 5 issues

Hey - I've installed a Renogy MPPT40. The charging unit seems to be functioning okay (no error lights on the charger). I've added a MT-5 Tracer as well for additional control and information about my system. However, when I connect the MT-5 to the charger all it does is flash and blink. Pushing the buttons doesn't change anything.

Does all this flashing and whatnot indicate my monitor is messed up? Is my charger messed up? Am I messed up? The instructions, such as they are, don't mention the situation I'm experiencing here.

I've posted a video if you'd like to see what I'm talking about.

THANKS!!!!
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

I don't have the bandwidth to watch you youtubes. What's a tracer MT-5 for ? Any diagrams show it being used as you are trying to use it ? Do you follow the proper power application sequence, Batt first, then the PV ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• deprived
      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
      IAny diagrams show it being used as you are trying to use it ? Do you follow the proper power application sequence, Batt first, then the PV ?
      The solar install is by the book and, according to the charge controller, everything is okay. . The MT-5 is connected to the Renogy controller via a CAT-5 cable so either it is plugged in or it isn't. The MT-5 supposedly gives me a more detailed assessment of my charging and other aspects of my solar setup. The instructions are just about worthless.

Comment

• egebhardt
        • Apr 2016

Renogy Tech Support 800-330-8678 Press 3
        I have this same problem. Renogy said to let the MT-5 sit unplugged for an hour. Then install it again when the Tracer 40amp MPPT controller has no power on it. Disconnect the panels first, of course. Then connect the panels last.

I had to leave for work so I didn't have a chance to try this again yet. I'll report back.

Comment

• Raul
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2015

MT5 is just simply a remote control panel for the CC conected via a cable . If re boot does not work try another cable as it can be damaged on one of the pins.

Comment

• egebhardt
            • Apr 2016

I tried 4 other cables. No go.

Comment

• deprived
              • Mar 2016

Okay - I have since resolved this issue and it wasn't cheap: I had to buy a whole new charging unit. Yes, the old one seemed to be functioning properly and we tried every imaginable way to start up our system. At the end of the day, we decided to buy a whole new charger on Amazon and see if that solved our issues.

It did.

This may not be the solution for everyone, but it set us right.

The downside is the expense of our old charger. We bought it from Renogy on Amazon as a "refurbished" unit. Apparently "refurbished" means not only "non-functioning" but also "no refunds." Yeah, we got screwed but at least our setup is working.

Comment

• egebhardt
                • Apr 2016

I tried unplugging everything to the Tracer40. Then connecting the MT5. Then turning everything back on, battery power first. No go. The remote still sits at all lcd segments on. Mine didn't flash like the OPs Youtube video. Mine only flashed upon being powered on/plugged in. One blink, then all lcd segments stuck on. I bought mine on Ebay a month ago as a refurb. They said 1yr warranty. I"ll try calling tomorrow. 800-330-8678j 8-5PST. It's too late today.

Comment

• egebhardt
                  • Apr 2016

Originally posted by deprived
                  Okay - I have since resolved this issue and it wasn't cheap: I had to buy a whole new charging unit. Yes, the old one seemed to be functioning properly and we tried every imaginable way to start up our system. At the end of the day, we decided to buy a whole new charger on Amazon and see if that solved our issues.

It did.

This may not be the solution for everyone, but it set us right.

The downside is the expense of our old charger. We bought it from Renogy on Amazon as a "refurbished" unit. Apparently "refurbished" means not only "non-functioning" but also "no refunds." Yeah, we got screwed but at least our setup is working.
                  So your MT-5 was fine after all?
                  I called Renogy and they said it was only the MT-5 what is broken. I have no way of proving them wrong.
                  I don't want to buy another MT-5 in fear that another will break magically at anytime. My MT-5 was fine one minute, then broken the next.
                  Last edited by egebhardt; 05-10-2016, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• egebhardt
                    • Apr 2016

Update:
                    I called Renogy again after checking my (4) 100w Renogy Polycrys Panels. Each panel gave 18.7v and 1.2a, however, the controller was NOT giving any juice to the batteries. Also, the (3) red 'mode' lights on the MPPT 40amp controller were stuck on. That means the controller is bad. Renogy sent me a return label and said they will replace my controller under warranty. Yeah!
                    Last edited by egebhardt; 05-19-2016, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• egebhardt
                      • Apr 2016

Update:
                      I got the new Tracer MPPT 40a controller from Renogy. I powered up the controller (batteries connected first) and it worked fine. Then powered off the controller (batteries disconnected last) and plugged the MT-5 back in. Then powered it all up again. Now the MT-5 works fine. The problem was the controller. End of story.

Note to self: Don't plug and un-plug the MT-5 a bunch of times. Mount it once and forget it. If I want to view the data remotely, i'll get a web-cam to watch the MT-5 remotely from my phone.
                      Last edited by egebhardt; 05-19-2016, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Thanks for the update and suggestion about not playing with the MT-5 connections.

Comment

Working...