How to wire production meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to wire production meter

Can anyone tell me if the neutral can just pass through the meter box and go to the panel.

Looks like upper jaws go to inverter, lower jaws go to panel, and ground terminates in the box and continues on to the panel.

Not exactly sure what you are asking, but the Grounded Circuit Conductor (what you call neutral) by code has to be solid and pass through the meter can and service disconnect.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Not exactly sure what you are asking, but the Grounded Circuit Conductor (what you call neutral) by code has to be solid and pass through the meter can and service disconnect.

Thanks, electrical is not my expertise. I have help, but he has never installed a meter. My utility does not require an AC disconnect.

In laymans terms, the red and black go from the inverter into the top jaws of the meter. The bottom jaws red/black go from the meter to the panel. The white wire will run through the meter to the panel. The green ground will terminate in the meter box, and then continue out to the panel.

Let me know if that sounds right please.

Thanks for the help!!!

Comment

Here is a nice write up with pictures about how the meter gets wired. It shows how the guy did it wrong initially then how he corrected it.
        http://www.dukecityfix.com/m/blogpos...gPost%3A379728
        24 Suniva 275 Watt Panels. 24 Enphase M250.

Comment

Originally posted by Plut View Post
          Here is a nice write up with pictures about how the meter gets wired. It shows how the guy did it wrong initially then how he corrected it.
          http://www.dukecityfix.com/m/blogpos...gPost%3A379728

Thanks Plut!

The link you provided didnt work, but I was able to google the site and find it. Just google duke-city-solar-part-2

We had it exactly right, wanted to make sure because I was questioned about bonding the neutral to the ground.
          Last edited by arcsum68; 01-25-2016, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Also, make sure you don't put wire that's too small into the lugs. The ratings are on the side. Most 125a meter sockets take a minimum of 6awg. That being said, I have seen an electrician use 10awg and the inspector pass it...

Comment

Just from the technical side:
              The standard residential meter for 120/240V has four jaws in the socket that actually connect to the meter. The two hot leads (L1 and L2) pass through the meter in series from the POCO side to the customer side. There is a terminal for the neutral wire in some sockets, but the meter does not need either a current or a voltage connection to the neutral in order to work properly.
              The inverter, on the other hand, does need a connection to the neutral. Not so that it can send current through it but so that it can check that the L1 and L2 voltages are properly balanced and shut down if they are not. (An indication of a problem in the wiring or on the POCO side).

The same thing applies to they typical production meter which is under it all just a residential meter which is revenue grade (accurate.)
              It is possible that some POCOs or states mandate a meter which actually meters the neutral voltage too, since without that there is a chance of a few percent error.

Bottom line: The neutral must go to the inverter and if the meter provides a place to connect it along the way it should be connected there.
              If the "neutral" terminal in the meter base just connects to the metal enclosure, then you must NOT connect the neutral to it (unless it is part of a supply side tap). You should connect the safety ground wire (EGC, green wire) to that terminal instead.
              Hopefully this work will actually be done by an electrician who understands what he is doing, since giving advice on this over the internet is not adequate.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

I used a combination meter pan/breaker and there was no way to isolate the neutral from the ground. There are some that have separate ground and neutral buss, but I had already purchased it. Neutral to ground can only be bonded at the first disconnect point in the house, usually the main panel. With the permission of my inspector I bypassed the neutral around the meter pan with two Ts. That's a 3/0 generation feed, #4 neutral and #6 ground.
                Last edited by JFinch57; 02-05-2016, 04:42 PM.
                Jeff, BSEE, 22.3KW, 45-240W w/M190, 46-260W w/M250

Comment

Working...
                X