Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hilltop
    • Aug 2010

Solarex Panels

Does anyone know where I would find the specs for SOLAR ENERGIZER TYPE SX100 panels mfg by Solarex Corp.?
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Is that name exact? When searching I came up empty?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• hilltop
      • Aug 2010

The plate on the panel read as follows:
      SOLAR ENERGIZER type SX100
      Solerex Corp,Rockland, Maryland,USA
      There is another label with the serial number L-0722076.
      I also came up empty on my search. I bought two of these panels second hand, the guy said they were 6 or 7 years old. They look new and no visible damage. They test about 19 volts open circuit. I dont know how to test further to see if they are producing properly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

From Bing:

Solarex Corp

5300 Spectrum Drive
        Frederick, MD 21703-7366 map
        Phone:
        (301) 698-9740
        Information not found
        Solarex Corp is a private company categorized under Solar Heating Equipment and located in Frederick, MD. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of 200,000 and employs a staff of approximately 2.
        Solarex Corp Business Information
        Location Type Single Location

From another search - Solarex Corporation (now BP Solar)
        BP solar shows no products like this -
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• solarc
          • Sep 2010

soalrex panels

Dear Hilltop,

if you could mail me an image of teh panels and indicate the size of the cells - most likely 4,5" (114mm) or 5" (125mm) - I can calcute the panel properties for you, since I used to manufacture custom designed panels using Soalrex cells.

This might not give you the exact figures that your specific panel has got, but at least this will provide the information what its properties should be.

C'U

christof

Comment

• hilltop
            • Aug 2010

Dear Christof,
            There are 40 cells 4X4 inches. Not sure how to post image on this site. I could email it to you if required. I appreciate your help.

Hilltop

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Originally posted by hilltop
              Not sure how to post image on this site.
              If you have the images on your computer, and have reduced their size to something reasonable (system limit is
              97kb for .JPG) you just go to advanced message edit, and Manage Attachments.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• solarc
                • Sep 2010

Solarex panel answer

Dear Hilltop,

panels from Soalrex that comprise 4x4 inch cells are pretty old. I assume them to be from the early 90ies. Much more common are the 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 later in that decade.

I calculated the properties as per an old data sheet of cells that I have. Even in that time the cells were sorted and sold according to their power output, resp. their effciency thus the properties might change slightly from what I give you - which is based on a cell efficieny of 12,5% and the assumption that all cells are connected in series in your panel:

P STC should be 51 Wp
                U OC should be 23,6 V DC
                U Mpp should be 19,6 V DC
                I SC should be 2,8 A
                I Mpp should be 2,6 A.

(Hope you are familiar with the abbreviations)

When checking your panel, please bear in mind that you will most likely not expose your panel to STC (standard test conditions) conditions, which are 1000W/m

Comment

• hilltop
                  • Aug 2010

Thank you for the assistance. I did not pay much for the two panels and they are producing power.

Comment

• jes
                    • Sep 2011

Solarex H50 and SX100EG modules.

Hi everyone,

I introduce myself. My name is Jes
                    Attached Files

Comment

• solarc
                      • Sep 2010

Hi Jes,

unfortunately I cannot help you with the required information of the panels directly, but I do have cells of similar layout. (Silver grid fingers on the front) that I could measure to get you an idea on the electrical properties.

You might consider to contact John Perlin in St. Barbara. He wrote the book on PV history and he should be able to get you into contact with ex soalrex guys if he doe not have brochures himself.

Best regards

Solarc

In case you even consider selling those pv panels. I'd be glas to aquire them for the pv archive I am building up.

Comment

• jes
                        • Sep 2011

Thank you very much for your answer. I really appreciate it.
                        For now I think that you can leave the test of your cells because I do not want to bother you and I have several fronts opened.
                        I did not know John Perlin and Sta. Barbara is a little bit far from Spain.
                        In any case I found his LinkedIn profile and I will try to reach him by through.
                        The pv panels do not belong to me. Sorry.
                        Thank you again.

Jes

Comment

Working...