Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jorgey
    • May 2015

Ground Mount Wire Protection

On a ground mount array, what has anyone done to protect the wires on the back of the array from being touched/tampered with by humans? I have seen a lot of arrays that have nothing more than some wire clips to hold the wires up and I have seen other arrays that have had wire mesh over everything. ....then there are those that have fenced in the entire array. Don't want some kid to wander to the back of my property and start yanking on cables and get fried.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

The array site needs to be fenced to prevent access
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

As Mike said barriers. If a kid breaches it and gets hurt, you own it.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• jorgey
        • May 2015

The entire property is already fenced in and I would not consider it to be "readily accessible" to outside people, but what is considered reasonable? Anyone who wants to can climb over or cut through a fence, they do it all the time at power substations and steel copper.

Does one need yet another internal fence around the array? Razor wire? Armed guard. Just wondering where you draw the line to meet the code as to not be "readily accessible" and of course reasonably protect those that are just stupid. I know that this can be subjective as to who is actually doing the inspection, but I would like to know, or better yet, see what others have done on their ground mount arrays. Almost every picture that I have seen has little to no protection at all.

Comment

• foo1bar
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by jorgey
          The entire property is already fenced in and I would not consider it to be "readily accessible" to outside people, but what is considered reasonable?
          What do you think 12 of your neighbors would say if a 10-year old got hurt by your array?
          IMO if you make it so even if you got sued you'd have no problem winning the lawsuit, then you're set.
          Armed guard or razor wire is obviously more than enough.
          But a 2' high split rail decorative fence probably isn't.

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

The entire property is already fenced in and I would not consider it to be "readily accessible" to outside people,.
            Means nothing. No jury will take ignorance as a defense. Anyone gets hurt for any reason you own it.

Your only protection is pulling a permit and passing electrical inspections, home owners insurance policy with solar added, and it will require barriers to pass. Even then if anyone is hurt you own it. I have worked in, for, and around electric utilities for year. Utilities have made a lot of kids parents very rich. Those huge security fences and all those huge bright RED signs do not mean squat to a Jury.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• jorgey
              • May 2015

Originally posted by foo1bar
              What do you think 12 of your neighbors would say if a 10-year old got hurt by your array?
              IMO if you make it so even if you got sued you'd have no problem winning the lawsuit, then you're set.
              Armed guard or razor wire is obviously more than enough.
              But a 2' high split rail decorative fence probably isn't.
              Currently my property is fenced in with 48" high, 2inX4in mesh steel field fencing with a stand of double barbed - barb wire on top and bottom. It keeps all of the neighbors cows and horses out of my "yard". However the issue is people are a lot more troublesome and mischievous than cows and horses.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Currently my property is fenced in with 48" high, 2inX4in mesh steel field fencing with a stand of double barbed - barb wire on top and bottom. It keeps all of the neighbors cows and horses out of my "yard". However the issue is people are a lot more troublesome and mischievous than cows and horses.
                Wait till the cows and horses get lawyers. What do you call a Cruise Ship full of Lawyers at the bottom of the Sea

A good start.

At least Lawyers get more respect than a Drummer.

What do you call a drummer in a three-piece suit?

The Defendant
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• jorgey
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
                  Wait till the cows and horses get lawyers. What do you call a Cruise Ship full of Lawyers at the bottom of the Sea

A good start.

At least Lawyers get more respect than a Drummer.

What do you call a drummer in a three-piece suit?

The Defendant

Comment

• foo1bar
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2014

That sounds like a sufficient fence to me.

BUT - if you can walk from the front door of your house to the array and not have to jump a fence, then it really isn't fenced in, is it?

Comment

• emartin00
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                      Means nothing. No jury will take ignorance as a defense. Anyone gets hurt for any reason you own it.

Your only protection is pulling a permit and passing electrical inspections, home owners insurance policy with solar added, and it will require barriers to pass. Even then if anyone is hurt you own it. I have worked in, for, and around electric utilities for year. Utilities have made a lot of kids parents very rich. Those huge security fences and all those huge bright RED signs do not mean squat to a Jury.
                      That depends on your state. In NH, if you get injured on someone's property, it's no ones fault but your own. Unless they determine that there was intent to hurt you (i.e. shotgun rigged to shoot at the door).

A 48in fence may not be considered high enough to be a "security fence" but that would be up to local codes. Best to get advice on what exactly would be required in your state.

Comment

• inetdog
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by emartin00
                        That depends on your state. In NH, if you get injured on someone's property, it's no ones fault but your own. Unless they determine that there was intent to hurt you (i.e. shotgun rigged to shoot at the door).

A 48in fence may not be considered high enough to be a "security fence" but that would be up to local codes. Best to get advice on what exactly would be required in your state.
                        In some areas a wire screen enclosing the back of the panel mounts and all wires outside the screen in raceways is considered sufficient. Just touching the front surface of the panels is not a hazard.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
                          In some areas a wire screen enclosing the back of the panel mounts and all wires outside the screen in raceways is considered sufficient. Just touching the front surface of the panels is not a hazard.
                          What makes it interesting if any of the MC4 connectors are accessible by the electrical uneducated people.

I would think that there could be numerous requirements to making a ground mount system "safe" depending on what the AHJ says is ok along with your home owners insurance policy.

You would figure a fenced in array would be enough but that doesn't always meet "safety" in everyone's eyes.

Comment

• Panelmal
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2014

I install a lot of ground mounts (and the powers that be are pretty strict with us, bad blood) but if the array is fenced in its always been considered not accessible. If it isn't, we put up uv rated plastic meshing installed tightly over all the wiring below eight feet and haven't had any problems with it. If you use wire meshing you're going to have to worry about future chafing issues and having to bond it.

Comment

• Panelmal
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle

I would think that there could be numerous requirements to making a ground mount system "safe" depending on what the AHJ says is ok along with your home owners insurance policy.

You would figure a fenced in array would be enough but that doesn't always meet "safety" in everyone's eyes.
                              Might as well install it in the customers basement and brick off the entry points. It'll work fine, just face it towards a window and use solar optimizers.

Comment

Working...