Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SmallFrySolarGuy
    • Apr 2015

SREC question for system in Ohio

Last month we had a 3.5 KW system installed with an SMA 4000TL inverter.

We are comparing SRECTrade and SolSystems for SRECs when our solar installer signed us up for SolSystems without our consent (annoying, but not the main point of this thread). Meanwhile I just need to sign and fax in the contract to make it final.

Yesterday I read the SolSystems contract and it states that their commission is the greater of 5% or $10 per SREC. Since SREC prices are very unpredictable, and have dropped quite low in the past (near $20) it is very feasible that in a few years the price/SREC may be less than $10/SREC, meaning we would have to pay SolSystems the difference for each SREC generated.

SRECTrade appears to be the better deal at 7%, so I was considering switching - should be no problem since I never signed a contract. Meanwhile our installer wants control over this entire process (again, annoying) and expects us to send them the signed paperwork, "so we don't have to worry about those confusing details."

I would rather keep our installer out of the picture if possible as I would rather make my own decisions. I will demand the information from them if I need to.

Here are my questions:
    1) Does anyone else have experience with these two companies?
    2) Any other good SREC companies for Ohio?
    3) The SolSystems contract ask for the "certification number" of the system. What is this and how do I find out?
    4) What is a PJM MSET ID or EIA Plant code and generator identifier?
    5) I assume SRECTrade also requires the items 3&4, and besides the system info, address, etc. what other information is required for SRECTrade contracts? Any?

BTW, I already verified that we can enter the KWh information manually on their website on a monthly basis, so webconnect should not be an issue.

thanks!
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

You should have all the info you need on your permit and interconnect authorization. You shouldn't let the installer get in it they should just be helping you with either system not doing it for you. I believe you can also register in PA with Srectrade.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• SmallFrySolarGuy
      • Apr 2015

Could anybody else offer any insight to any these questions?

I was afraid this thread would become all about my installer going rogue, and I was right. I should not have brought that into the discussion.

Please ignore that issue and focus on the following (slightly reworded) questions.

1) Does anyone else have experience with either of these two companies?
      3) The SolSystems contract ask for the "certification number" of the system. What is this and how do I find out?
      5) I assume SRECTrade also requires the items 3&4, and besides the system info, address, etc. what other information is required for SRECTrade contracts? Any?

Note that I could not find items 3&4 in any of the documentation that I have, hence those two questions.

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by SmallFrySolarGuy
        I was afraid this thread would become all about my installer going rogue, and I was right. I should not have brought that into the discussion.

Please ignore that issue and focus on the following (slightly reworded) questions.

Note that I could not find items 3&4 in any of the documentation that I have, hence those two questions.
        I use Srectrade for my personal install, registered in PA. They were very helpfull and almost all the info you need should be on your permit and interconnect documents which you should have a copy of.
        If you do not, then you need to get a copy from the installer.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• JFinch57
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by SmallFrySolarGuy

I was going to go with SolSystems, I think, for MD and read the fine print. From what I recall it said they only pay every 3 months on an average price, which was unacceptable to me. I want the cash every month. I went with Flett Exchange and they do direct deposit with the funds in my account on the next business day, see http://markets.flettexchange.com/ohio-srec/ . They charge a $2.50 commission. Do you use http://www.pjm-eis.com/ for your SREC generation? If not there should be something similar for your area. You can call them and they are very helpful. I had to get my registration numbers from a MD agency and a letter to submit to them before activating my account. I suspect that you will have to do the same. Don't pay anyone else a commission to do this for you. Once it's setup it's easy and fun to do every month.
          Jeff, BSEE, 22.3KW, 45-240W w/M190, 46-260W w/M250

Comment

• Montrose
            • Oct 2014

As SRECTrade sold my first SREC today thought I would share.
            They took their 7% as agreed and answered the phone and email when I had questions.
            Was basically painless once I had all the data from my installer.
            They seem fine for now.

Comment

• JFinch57
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Montrose
              As SRECTrade sold my first SREC today thought I would share.
              They took their 7% as agreed and answered the phone and email when I had questions.
              Was basically painless once I had all the data from my installer.
              They seem fine for now.
              Why would you pay 7% when you can pay $2.50 with Flett Exchange http://markets.flettexchange.com/massachusetts-srec/ ? I use them for MD and the funds are direct deposited into my account the next day.
              Jeff, BSEE, 22.3KW, 45-240W w/M190, 46-260W w/M250

Comment

Working...