Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgarNewt
    • Aug 2009

Tigo versus EnPhase

Has anybody looked at the energy productivity between Tigo Energy products and EnPhase micro-inverters?

I understand that the products are different (Tigo's products are not inverters and rely on a typical inverter; EnPhase are micro-inverters), but I was wondering whether people had any experience with Tigo's products. I was pretty much ready to go with a EnPhase installation, but just learned about Tigo Energy's products. Now I am wondering if Tigo is the new, shiny thing....

Still digging on this, but since I just learned about Tigo's existence, I was wondering if others had already gone down this path....

Thanks in advance for any responses.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

At least Enphase has been out for a couple years, and I've heard no bad experiences attributed to them. Tigo who ???

Any properly installed system would not need enphase, which helps work around poor install sites.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• EdgarNewt
      • Aug 2009

Thanks for the response, Mike.

I really want to the monitoring and to avoid having a bird poop on one panel from lowering the overall efficiency of the string (until I can clean it off). Both EnPhase and Tigo offer me the monitoring and the panel by panel performance.

I think EnPhase was founded in 2006 or thereabouts. And I read that Tigo was founded in 2007. Not that much difference. EnPhase products were commercially released in 2008 (based on something I read -- no first hand knowledge).

Would love other thoughts -- if people have them -- as both are interesting techs.

I am still leaning towards EnPhase....

Comment

• Kelby
        • May 2010

Hi Edgar,

I have no experience with either. I just hired someone to install an Enphase system. I liked the things you liked, but also liked the fact that I can add additional panels down the road economically. My understanding is that Tigo has the same expandability issues as a traditional system because it also runs off a single inverter.

Good luck.

Comment

• EdgarNewt
          • Aug 2009

I am still struggling with the Tigo vs. EnPhase issue

One installer (REC) insists that Tigo is the way to go. This same installer was highly recommending Enphase just 12 months ago. Other installers say that Tigo is still untested, too new, etc. and are recommending Enphase.

Tigo's big claims over Enphase seem to be:

(1) "we don't cause heat issues under the panels like a micro-inverter does, so we are better"; "Enphase causes heat under the panels and thus reduces the efficiencies of the panels".

(2) "we are more effecient because the system will still use the 96%+ efficient regular inverters and not the 95% efficient Enphase inverters...."

I am more concerned about (1), but haven't been able to confirm that this is a legitimate issue.

I live near the water, so even though I am in southern california, I think the cool breezes will mitigate much of the heat concern. Unless I hear something verifiably objectionable, I think I will end up with Enphase.

Does anybody have a Tigo or Enphase installation that would care to comment on their experience?

Comment

• Walt_Solartown
            • Jul 2010

Isn't Tigo just a 'power maximizer' - as in, NOT an inverter? I have no experience with Tigo but I think you have to plug them into a central inverter? I have an Enphase setup. I've been happy with it - and was able to install it myself. You have to make sure the ineverters are detected by the communications unit, and that this device connects directly into a router. Also have had issues with a window A/C unit knocking out communications between the inverters and the communication unit (Envoy). But I've been able to work through it and just got my lowest electric bill ever: 267kWh! I think you will be happy with an Enphase setup.

Comment

• EdgarNewt
              • Aug 2009

Yes, Tigo is a "power maximizer". It purports to have some similar advantages to EnPhase (e.g., panel by panel monitoring, one shaded panel does not degraded the output of the others, etc.) while still using a regular inverter. So you can use (1) the Tigo system plus a regular third party inverter OR (2) the Enphase system. The cost of the two options above appear to be somewhat similar (give or take a few hundred dollars). I just want to know which is going to be "better". "Better", in this case is cheaper cost per AC Watt (assuming no changes in safety, length of service, etc.).

I know, I am asking the impossible given that the two companies have only been in business for 3 and 2 years, respectively.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

I'd stick with a fanless, monolithic GT inverter, and have a clean roof area. If you have un-avoidable shadows, then the micro-inverters seem better. While the "optimizers" look good on paper, if you have a good MPPT inverter, you won't see much difference, if all is well and clean, and sunny
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• dee_singh
                  • Sep 2010

Any recent experiences with Tigo or Enphase

I am looking at proposals for a residential system. Tigo is about 25c per DC-W more expensive. Wondering if there are any recent comparisions between Tigo and Enphase systems.

Comment

• Walt_Solartown
                    • Jul 2010

I haven't tried Tigo but wonder if the extra cost is worth it. Won't you still need a DC disconnect with this product since the electricity is still DC? With enphase it's AC coming off the roof...

Comment

Working...