Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antscozz
    • Mar 2014

Error code K1-Open on Sunpower SPR-3000m

Today was a great day ... I was fortunate to get an amazing deal on a 3 year old 8.6 KW Sunpower Solar system (roof mount) last March. It was supposed to be a spring project installing it as a ground mount system feeding my barn then back feeding to the house ... I was blessed to be too busy with work all summer so it became a fall project! Well I completed it today .... The system consists of 2 strings of ten SPR-225-blk panels with a SPR-4000m inverter (which works properly); 2 strings on seven SPR-225-blk panels with a SPR-3000m inverter (which works properly); And one string of seven SPR-225-blk with a SPR=3000m inverter ... this string gave me an error immediately upon startup .... it says "K1 open" which when looking in manual says "Relay test failed. Contact Sunpower for assistance". I spent over 40 minutes on hold today and never got to a human. Anyone have any ideas?
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by antscozz
    Today was a great day ... I was fortunate to get an amazing deal on a 3 year old 8.6 KW Sunpower Solar system (roof mount) last March. It was supposed to be a spring project installing it as a ground mount system feeding my barn then back feeding to the house ... I was blessed to be too busy with work all summer so it became a fall project! Well I completed it today .... The system consists of 2 strings of ten SPR-225-blk panels with a SPR-4000m inverter (which works properly); 2 strings on seven SPR-225-blk panels with a SPR-3000m inverter (which works properly); And one string of seven SPR-225-blk with a SPR=3000m inverter ... this string gave me an error immediately upon startup .... it says "K1 open" which when looking in manual says "Relay test failed. Contact Sunpower for assistance". I spent over 40 minutes on hold today and never got to a human. Anyone have any ideas?
    If you knew which relay K1 was, we could give a better guess.
    But on its face the error message indicates that the startup test is trying to close the contacts on K1 and is not seeing the proper voltage or current as a result.
    It might be a relay on the grid side to isolate the GTI from the grid when a failure occurs, in which case it is probably looking to see line voltage and is not finding it.
    Maybe a blown fuse or incorrect wiring on the output side. Maybe a stuck relay, in which case a smart rap on the relay housing with a screwdriver handle may free it up.
    But I am not recommending that you go inside the case with either PV or grid power connected.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• antscozz
      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
      If you knew which relay K1 was, we could give a better guess.
      But on its face the error message indicates that the startup test is trying to close the contacts on K1 and is not seeing the proper voltage or current as a result.
      It might be a relay on the grid side to isolate the GTI from the grid when a failure occurs, in which case it is probably looking to see line voltage and is not finding it.
      Maybe a blown fuse or incorrect wiring on the output side. Maybe a stuck relay, in which case a smart rap on the relay housing with a screwdriver handle may free it up.
      But I am not recommending that you go inside the case with either PV or grid power connected.
      Thanks ... I ran out of time yesterday. I will poke around more today and see what I come up with .... I will post later what I turn up ... Thanks

Comment

• antscozz
        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by antscozz
        Thanks ... I ran out of time yesterday. I will poke around more today and see what I come up with .... I will post later what I turn up ... Thanks
        Well it looks like a failure in the inverter ... On a whim I switched array strings, didn't think this was the issue .. it wasn't! Tested fuse ...its good. Smacked the relays really well ... nothing. The other two inverters have a definitive relay click on startup that this one does not .... If it comes down to replacement I will probably remove the inverter and 5 of panels in that string (I'll add the other two to the 14 array system). I built the ground mount rack for future expansion .... with that string removed I will have space for 15 panels ... probably could get at least another 4kw system if not more .... really wasn't looking to tackle this just yet though

Comment

Working...