how to add dual charging system to an existing AC main inverter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chandra
    • Mar 2010

helo frens
    i hav a 1400va inverter with 24v 150AH lead acid tubular battery.im not getting enough electricity to charge my system.so t question is..
    1.the system shud get charge from solar panel durin power cut and switch to AC main charge durin power on automaticaly.i dont want to change my inverter.
    2.how many 12v 80 watt plates i need and wat wil b the configuration?
  • kicglobal
    • May 2010

Hello Mr. Chandra,

let me know about your load chart. And how many hrs u want to run the system for? ur location? Do u have solar charge controller? If yes, its ratings, Volts & Amps?

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Without knowing what your inverter is, only you can tell us if it has a internal battery charger in it, to recharge the battery from the grid.
      A 24V 150ah battery, needs almost 400W of solar PV to recharge it. If those are 80W panels, you would need at least 5 of them. That's an odd number, to make an even number, you need 6.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• kicglobal
        • May 2010

how to dual charge system to an existing AC main inverter

Originally posted by Mike90250
        Without knowing what your inverter is, only you can tell us if it has a internal battery charger in it, to recharge the battery from the grid.
        A 24V 150ah battery, needs almost 400W of solar PV to recharge it. If those are 80W panels, you would need at least 5 of them. That's an odd number, to make an even number, you need 6.
        Ofcourse Sir, but the person is having conventional inverter, not an inbuilt solar charge controller (PCU) and attached 2 batteries of 12V each. Therefore, in my view 4 x 80W panels are sufficient.

Comment

• kicglobal
          • May 2010

Mr. Chandra,

You may send me a private msg.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Therefore, in my view 4 x 80W panels are sufficient.
            Ah, but loads ALWAYS increase over time, and my opinion, is that only 4 panels will cause chronic undercharge, destroying the batteries early.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• kicglobal
              • May 2010

Originally posted by Mike90250
              Ah, but loads ALWAYS increase over time, and my opinion, is that only 4 panels will cause chronic undercharge, destroying the batteries early.
              Mr. Mike,

The batteries are of 150Ah - C/20 rating and the charging current required is 7.5Amps. The 2x80W-12V-5.1 Isc in to strings will produce approx. 9.5Amps. at Chandra's location.

Further, your views are solicited.

Comment

• RE_Enthusiast
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by kicglobal
                Mr. Mike,

The batteries are of 150Ah - C/20 rating and the charging current required is 7.5Amps. The 2x80W-12V-5.1 Isc in to strings will produce approx. 9.5Amps. at Chandra's location.

Further, your views are solicited.
                Please advise!

My family is based out of Etawah, Uttar Pradesh and have been facing intermittent power cuts to an extent of 12-14 hours. The current 800 VA inverter is not able to charge 12V 150 AH Tubular Battery within the 8-10 hours of electricity everyday. I am planning to put Solar Panels to charge the Battery.. Please suggest what ratings panels should i put, the direction of the panels, whether the current 800 VA inverter can be used here.. etc.. thanks.. appreciate your response.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

While solar is nice, it may not help as much as you want. You may need a larger battery bank, and another charger for it. And if you switch off the largest power consumers (fridge, desktop computer) you won't drain the battery as far. Some batteries have a limit of how fast they can be recharged. This may be your case, getting another inverter with battery might be a better solution.

Comment

Working...