Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sheep
    • Apr 2013

Originally posted by sheep
    Hmmm. Maybe they are factory-configured for use in the USA, and need to be reconfigured by the gateway for use in other countries? I'll ask Enphase.
    I apologise for the delay in reporting back on this, but I have only just obtained the answer from Enphase.

All of their documentation states that their Microinverters will NOT start until they have been configured and enabled by the Envoy communications gateway.

The first two people I contacted at Enphase just re-asserted this (what turned out to be incorrect) information.

I finally found someone at Enphase who gave me the real answer:

Dear (sheep),

I apologise for the delay of our response, unfortunately (name deleted) is no longer working with Enphase.

Today we are shipping microinverters in UK
    - without the preset grid profile and in this case you will need an Envoy to set the grid profile (G83/2 or G59/3)
    or
    - with the preset grid profile and in this case you will no longer need the Envoy to set the grid profile.
    Note:
    In both instances you will need the Envoy to monitor the microinverters.
    When you order microinverters from distributors be shure that you have the -UK in the end of the product code like in the following examples: M215-60-230-S2-UK or M215-60-230-S2-UK (that meant they are preloaded with the grid profile)

If you have other questions or you need further assistance don't hesitate to email me back, or please contact Customer Support at: (0)1908 828928.

Best regards.
    Eng. (name deleted)
    Hope this information is useful to other UK users

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

I apologise for the delay in reporting back on this, but I have only just obtained the answer from Enphase.

All of their documentation states that their Microinverters will NOT start until they have been configured and enabled by the Envoy communications gateway.

The first two people I contacted at Enphase just re-asserted this (what turned out to be incorrect) information.

I finally found someone at Enphase who gave me the real answer:

Hope this information is useful to other UK users
      And I strongly suspect that units shipped to addresses in the US or to US distributors have the default US 120/240 single phase 60 Hz profile set by default.

What I am not clear on is whether the units will sense the presence of the three phase 208Y/120 trunk cable and switch to that or just work because the 208 and 240 settings have an overlapping voltage range or will have to be reconfigured to work properly.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• sheep
        • Apr 2013

Originally posted by inetdog
        And I strongly suspect that units shipped to addresses in the US or to US distributors have the default US 120/240 single phase 60 Hz profile set by default.
        This would be my guess too. The inverters probably all come out of the factory configured for use in the US, and they are then reconfigured for other countries as necessary and the relevant suffix added to the part number.

Comment

• Quintas
          • Apr 2015

Hi everyone!
          It it possible to buy a micro inverter that can operate completely stand-alone, and does not require any kind of gateway or

There are cheap Chinese ones available on eBay, but I was really looking for something good and reliable. Can anyone advise?

Hi sheep.

I'm in the same boat because I want to install 2 or 3 pannels, in a three phase grid.

I found your thread and it's been very usefull because I asked Enphase the same thing and got no reply.

The ABB microinvertres are being sold in Portugal without the CCD-Concentrator Data Device, included in DIY kits, ready to plug in an outlet socket. I phoned ABB and they told me the CDD is only needed for the initial configuration and can be removed afterwards. ABB says that "in principle" there will not be the need to reconfigure the micro again.

I also phoned an ABB micro seller that claims the same thing. They configure the micro before they ship it to the client. He says they install/sell ABB since 2008 that way and had no problems so far.

The most popular micro here now is the Involar, a chinese brand, cheaper also because it doesn´t need its gateway, not even to an initial configuration. It has 25 year warranty, but who knows if they will be around if you make a claim in the long run. The portuguese electrical company is now installing those kit's with Involar micro's and they give the same 25 year warranty, and their contract says the warranty is from themselves, it doesn't bring the Involar name in. So we hope that will be good for whoever buys Involar in Portugal, althought their importer for Portugal is a company not really known.

There´s also APS, chinese, and I read somewhere their micro's have some issues.

About your pannel shading, perhaps you could put a picture of it. Who knows other users can help you with any crazy ideas?

Regards, Quintas

Comment

Working...