Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmamd
    • Mar 2010

SPR-4000x Inverter Problem?

Hi Folks, I have a Sunpower 4000x inverter that alternately displays "External Shutdown" and "Inverter Offline" in the LCD display. When I cycle thru the displays, the Array Voltage reads 330V, but 0.0 A. It's a bright sunny day, and all the wiring and interconnects are good. Doesn't the inverter need to draw the current in? Do you see this as a problem in the inverter? No other error messages appear. Thanks - wasn't sure where the best place to post this question....
  • newenergy
    • Oct 2009

I've never had this problem. I would, check connections, voltage and polarity, fuses, and then call SMA if those were all ok.

If the DC is connected correctly and you are getting enough voltage it should turn on. If the AC weren't connected correctly, you'd get another error, but check those voltages anyway. Maybe the AC voltages are out of range? Are you sure there are no other error messages coming up?
    [url="http://www.newenergyconstruction.com"]New Energy Construction[/url]--Manhattan Beach, CA

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

What is the minimum DC input voltage for the inverter ?
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• newenergy
        • Oct 2009

for the 4000US, the start voltage is 285V and the tracking voltage is 250V-480V (at 240V AC)
        Last edited by russ; 06-26-2011, 01:41 PM. Reason: removed link
        [url="http://www.newenergyconstruction.com"]New Energy Construction[/url]--Manhattan Beach, CA

Comment

• chevy87tough
          • Jun 2011

spr-4000x

Hello. I have a SunPower spr-4000x inverter. It says off line on the led display. There are no error codes. The green and red less are not on. There is 290vdc and 235vac. The fuses are good. I did purchase the unit used and was assured it worked. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Rich.
          Last edited by chevy87tough; 06-26-2011, 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• newenergy
            • Oct 2009

Check your polarity. You are checking the voltages on the inverter terminals? 290v is awfully close to the start voltage. Check it out when there is enough light, but it's cooler outside and the voltage will be higher - though maybe that will be hard now that it's summer.

Comment

• chevy87tough
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by newenergy
              Check your polarity. You are checking the voltages on the inverter terminals? 290v is awfully close to the start voltage. Check it out when there is enough light, but it's cooler outside and the voltage will be higher - though maybe that will be hard now that it's summer.

Hey thank you very much. I'm going to order a few more panels and see what happens. Thanks again.

Comment

• chevy87tough
                • Jun 2011

spr-4000x problem

Hi, I double checked all myconnections and polarity and everything seems correct. So I bought and installed 2 more panels, I now have 355 vdc and it still says off-line, It doesn't make any sense to me. Does anyone else have any ideas? Thanks everyone.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

For the inverter to go on-line, it needs a low impedance connection to the grid, at 60.000Hz, and the grid has to be stable for 5 minutes before it will go on line. Some inverters show a count-down till connection, some don't.

Get the MANUAL for your inverter, they should be online.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• chevy87tough
                    • Jun 2011

spr-4000x problem

Ok. My sunpower spr-4000x still reads OFFLINE with no error codes,

Heres what I have. 237vac at the inverter, I even checked the voltage at the entrance and they are the same 237vac. (110 on one leg and 117 on the other leg) I have 355vdc at the inverter using 8ga copper stranded wire fron the panels to the inverter.
                    My panels are monocrystalline panels totaling 1705 watts.

What it looks like to me is, it's not seeing the voltage from the panels. there is no error codes, it just says OFFLINE.
                    I did check both fuses and they are good.

Do you think it matters what brand of panels you use?

Thanks,
                    Rich

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

panel brand does not matter. If you give it the right inputs, you will get output, from a working system. download the manual, and see how to read all the segments of the display, it's got to say more than just OFFLINE

Comment

• CTSOLAR
                        • Feb 2011

If this the same inverter as the SMA 4000US then you have one leg (110v) very close to the trip limit of 108v. I recently had a problem with my inverter tripping out from high line voltage. The legs were hitting 130v. The trip limit is 129.6. A call to the POCO solved the problem. Tyhe re-tapped the ple transformer to get me back to 120v. The SMA manual has all the limits listed towards the end.

Comment

• chevy87tough
                          • Jun 2011

when you turn the inverter on it says: power region 4000W NA-240V (next) Flash = 02.04 ROM = 02.02 (next) VH = 261 V1 = 214 Fh = 60.4 F1 = 59.4 (next) Inverter Off-Line.

Next I wait for about 5 or 6 minutes and it continues to say Inverter Off-Line.

Next I tap on the inverter and the back ground light iluminates, (next tap) System Today 0W 0.000KWH (next tap) System lifetime 19769KWH (next tap) time online today 00:00:00

The next tap starts all over again with System Today 0W 0.000KWH

I called National Grid and they sent someone out and found one of the terminals in my meter box had gotten hot and lost some of it tention, He said it was 3v's different on either side of the of the meter on 1 leg. I'm going to have the box replaced hopefully this weekend and we'll se what happens.

I just want to thank you guys for helping me out.
                          Last edited by chevy87tough; 07-20-2011, 10:46 PM. Reason: speeling

Comment

• chevy87tough
                            • Jun 2011

Update: That didn't work. I have a steady 114/115vac on each leg now and it still saying offline.

Anyone want to buy a sunpower spr-4000x inverter?

Comment

• Mike90250
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by chevy87tough
                              when you turn the inverter on it says: power region 4000W NA-240V (next) Flash = 02.04 ROM = 02.02 (next) VH = 261 V1 = 214 Fh = 60.4 F1 = 59.4 (next) Inverter Off-Line.

Next I wait for about 5 or 6 minutes and it continues to say Inverter Off-Line.

Next I tap on the inverter and the back ground light iluminates, (next tap) System Today 0W 0.000KWH (next tap) System lifetime 19769KWH (next tap) time online today 00:00:00

The next tap starts all over again with System Today 0W 0.000KWH
                              This seems like a re-brnded Xantrex GT series, where you rap the display to toggle it. Get (download) a Xantrex GT 4.0 manual, and it should explain what the displays mean.

Comment

Working...