Design of Grid Tied Systew with Off-Grid Option?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by russ
    The fellow is history
    It was the right choice. FWIW I seen the post and have no problem with you deleting mine.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Shockah
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
      No offense is being offered, but when you choose to live on an island or coast, you do so knowing the risk that you will be wiped off at some point in time. What is really ironic is you pay a premium in real-estate prices doing so.

Think about the folks in NOLA. They have the worlds biggest Hurricane Bulls Eye on their back and below sea level. Yet for some reason people choose to live there knowing they will be wiped out sooner rather than later. You pays your money and take your chances. No guarantees in life, just a chance is all you get.
      Right!... and with that I try to discourage more & more people from moving here, but they just don't listen... lol
      [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

I live on the coast on a bay but at 70 meters elevation -
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

I live on the coast on a bay but at 70 meters elevation -
          Well at least you will not get hit with a Tsunami, Tidal Surge or rising ocean from Global Warming. You can sit up there and watch the fun.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by FS2020
            And when your neighbors, who hear your 12 kW generator, and need electricity for their medical devices or whatever to survive, show up at your door with a shotgun and tell you they are going to take what they need to survive, what is your plan?
            He'll have bled out long before he reaches the door.

Comment

• Naptown
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2011

Just FYI guys
              Xantrex makes the XW series
              Outback makes the Radian series
              You can use micro's on an AC coupled system (although Enphase will void the warranty if you get caught)

ac
              NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• WahrHeat
                • Apr 2014

I always preferred a 20 gauge - easy to use one handed.

Surprising how people insist on generators being noisy.
                We not to have guns in Germany. Solar industry is popular her. But no guns. How laut are generators you use?

Comment

• Naptown
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by WahrHeat
                  We not to have guns in Germany. Solar industry is popular her. But no guns. How laut are generators you use?
                  Good generators are not loud
                  Guns are popular here we have many many guns.
                  Solar is only moderately popular.
                  NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Naptown
                    Guns are popular here we have many many guns. Solar is only moderately popular.
                    Same here. On my country block are enough guns for an army. Most of the people I know
                    have their own shooting range. I'm the only serious solar. Bruce Roe

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Wy_White_Wolf
                      He'll have bled out long before he reaches the door.

Good one!
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• paulcheung
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Shockah
                        Nice... thanks for sharing similar systems out there.
                        $2450 is a bit shy considering the shipping cost of batteries to Hawaii. You also did not tally the switches and incidentals... but we're on the same page...

I figured 6 panels because this kit would be needed during hurricane destruction which is normally followed by cloudy weather.

This is not for a SHTF scenario, for I don't think the world is going to come to an end that easily or in my lifetime.
                        Super Storm Sandy & Hurricane Haiyan in the Philippines inspired me to think about this (more). For we are a small mass here and would suffer long term if we were to experience either... and like Fukushima Japan, our main power plant (fuel, not nuclear) is right on the ocean front.

We had our wake up calls in 1982 & 1992,,, I learned a thing or 2 about survival back then
                        Well switches and wires are cheap in the USA. only problem is installation cost. The point I try to make is you don't have to treat the small system as survival kits. Just a part of the whole solar system you have that you use every day and it will give you some power in the event when disaster strikes. The only trade off is the cost of the batteries and the initial cost of the equipment. It doesn't cost that much to ship to Jamaica. I guess they think you guys have money.

cheers

Comment

• Shockah
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by paulcheung
                          It doesn't cost that much to ship to Jamaica. I guess they think you guys have money.

... cheers
                          Probably because you are closer to the United States than I am.

Also, you have many other countries surrounding you, meaning there are more shipping lines competing with each other.

We're all alone in the middle of the Pacific. We have Matson and Sealand in from California.

If I wanted a pallet of FLA batteries from Texas or Florida, they would have to be trucked to Cali first, then shipped to me... it all adds up.
                          [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

• WahrHeat
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Naptown
                            Guns are popular here we have many many guns.
                            Solar is only moderately popular.
                            Can you give to me quiet generators? Maybe power of 5 kW ?

Wahrheat,
                            "Die großen Fische fressen die kleinen"

Comment

• paulcheung
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Shockah
                              Probably because you are closer to the United States than I am.

Also, you have many other countries surrounding you, meaning there are more shipping lines competing with each other.

We're all alone in the middle of the Pacific. We have Matson and Sealand in from California.

If I wanted a pallet of FLA batteries from Texas or Florida, they would have to be trucked to Cali first, then shipped to me... it all adds up.
                              Yes, but you are part of the United States, you don't have import duty, custom clearance those Bull craps. So I guess it workout back the same. I am pretty sure you have some good quality golf cart batteries you can use.

Cheers

Comment

• Mike90250
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by WahrHeat
                                Can you give to me quiet generators? Maybe power of 5 kW ?
                                Honda makes a nice one, with auto-start capability.
                                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...