Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • t5800512
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2013

American Standard is a good brand. But I'm not sure if I have can get them. I have always stayed inside the Carrier product line. Their (Carrier) top of the line variable speed compressor model is something like 20.5 SEER. Did you catch the model number or name of the American Standard unit. No big if you did not, I can probably find it.

Comment

• t5800512
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2013

I'm still looking at the GSHP. The new WaterFurnace 7 series has an EER of 41. Not SEER, EER of 41, and a COP of 5.3. It is just hard to argue with that kind of numbers. The only thing that comes close are the Mini-Split systems.

Comment

• Naptown
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2011

At what ground temperature and fluid temperature in the loop.
        If intake temps remained the same throughout the heating or cooling season COP would be stable throughout but with the heating and cooling of the fluid it will change.
        How much I do not know.
        NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• t5800512
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2013

According to the tables, the ground temperature in this area is 69 degrees. I have been talking to someone that has a GSHP system in my area, and that is about what he is seeing as well. He has seen the temperature on his loops go up a couple degrees in three years, but there has been no noticeable loss of efficiency.

I'm going to make sure my ground loop wells are at least 20 feet apart to help avoid the heat island effect.

Comment

• Naptown
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2011

All well and good however how well does the soil dissipate and transfer heat.
            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• t5800512
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2013

Good point, and I don't know how to answer that other than to say that the local drillers and geo folks believe that one ton will be dissipated by a 300 foot deep well. So 4 wells yields a 4 ton system.

Comment

• inetdog
                Super Moderator
                • May 2012

Originally posted by t5800512
                Good point, and I don't know how to answer that other than to say that the local drillers and geo folks believe that one ton will be dissipated by a 300 foot deep well. So 4 wells yields a 4 ton system.
                They may be relying on a knowledge of a local geology which is pretty uniform once you get past the surface layers. Especially if the water table is consistent (rather than varying will elevation and location) and much less than 300 feet deep.

A horizontal pipe loop will be much more subject to variation, since it is in the surface layers.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

The thing in the frozen North, is the air to air system can't function below outside
                  freezing, so you are into resistance heat that part of the year. My research
                  indicates your electricity is multiplied about twice by air to air, 4 times for
                  the buried system, compared to resistance.

An installer here indicated a couple trenches could be dug, then TUNNEL multiple
                  times between them instead of digging up large areas in a surface system. Not
                  sure he understood how much rock is here near the river (but not near enough
                  to use!). Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

You have TX Black Gumbo heavy clay soil. Water can barely move through it. Yankees have loam soil and very porous where water can freely move through it, not to mention shallow ground water levels.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• bcroe
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
                      You have TX Black Gumbo heavy clay soil. Water can barely move through it. Yankees have loam soil and very porous where water can freely move through it, not to mention shallow ground water levels.
                      The thing that worries me most, is all the flat yellow rock found just below the surface. Like, 50% of the
                      stuff before you reach the frost line. Pretty hard to tunnel, trenching works. Perhaps I should show some
                      of it to the tunneling installer? Need to check water level. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Bruce I am no geologist, but water flows freely in quite a few of rock sediments.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by bcroe
                          The thing in the frozen North, is the air to air system can't function below outside
                          freezing,...
                          Actually it can work just fine if the relative humidity is low and the unit does a periodic defrost of the evaporator coil.
                          The worst case condition is when you have humid air just above freezing or supersaturated air just below freezing.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by inetdog
                            Actually it can work just fine if the relative humidity is low and the unit does a periodic defrost of the evaporator coil.
                            The worst case condition is when you have humid air just above freezing or supersaturated air just below freezing.
                            The COP just drops off toward 1 as the temperatures drop.

To me, what counts is my cost at the end of the month. A COP of 3 cuts your bill by 3 times as compared to electric resistance heat. A COP of 4 cuts it by 4 times so a 100 dollar bill becomes 33$ and 25$ respectively. 8$ per month savings from 3 or 4 months a year doesn't pay for much in the way of wells or ground loop, landscaping etc.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by bcroe
                              The thing that worries me most, is all the flat yellow rock found just below the surface. Like, 50% of the
                              stuff before you reach the frost line. Pretty hard to tunnel, trenching works. Perhaps I should show some
                              of it to the tunneling installer? Need to check water level. Bruce Roe
                              100% yes and hope the installer knows something about the heat transfer characteristic of that type of earth.

Water level generally doesn't come into play with the trenched loop applications. The soil itself is the heat transfer media.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by t5800512
                                Either local knowledge that or he read it in a brochure somewhere - expensive to screw up.
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...