X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mblackler
    • Sep 2013

Methods for standing conduit off the roof

Hi,

I am looking to join two clusters of panels together via conduit, but want to know what the best method of standing the conduit off the roof is (preferably without having to make further penetrations in the roof.... but I'm open to suggestions). The run will be about 8'.

Some people have talked about using treated wooden blocks to raise it off the roof, but it doesn't strike me as the nicest way, finish-wise - or do people see this method as acceptable?

Regards,

Matt
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by mblackler
    Hi,

I am looking to join two clusters of panels together via conduit, but want to know what the best method of standing the conduit off the roof is (preferably without having to make further penetrations in the roof.... but I'm open to suggestions). The run will be about 8'.

Some people have talked about using treated wooden blocks to raise it off the roof, but it doesn't strike me as the nicest way, finish-wise - or do people see this method as acceptable?

Regards,
    Matt
    It is common, and other than using a concrete block instead, all I can see to avoid roof penetration would be a stand attached only to the conduit.
    But the NEC requires some kind of support for that length.
    You want to get at least 4", up to 6", off the roof to minimize temperature derating of the wire.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• mblackler
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by inetdog
      It is common, and other than using a concrete block instead, all I can see to avoid roof penetration would be a stand attached only to the conduit.
      But the NEC requires some kind of support for that length.
      You want to get at least 4", up to 6", off the roof to minimize temperature derating of the wire.
      Thanks for that - yes, I was going to aim for 6" for that very reason. So, this is how I read what you said:

1. For this length (8'), the NEC requires extra support
      2. The support CAN be wooden blocking - but equally some other kind of stand
      3. Any support provided does not have to be secured into the roof

Is this the case? Does point 3 still apply to pitched roofs?

Thankyou for your help.

Regards,

Matt

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

3. Any support provided does not have to be secured into the roof

Is this the case? Does point 3 still apply to pitched roofs?

Thankyou for your help.

Regards,

Matt
        My take is that it needs to be secured to a pitched roof well enough that it does not allow the pipe to "slide downhill", but that does not necessarily involve a roof penetration. Roofer's cement under a flat plate would probably be enough. (Note bold word in quote. )

Comment

• mblackler
          • Sep 2013

Great - thanks for that. Roofers cement it is then.

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

Great - thanks for that. Roofers cement it is then.

Cheers,

Matt
            Forgot to mention that even on a flat roof, you want to keep the support from moving back and forth in wind or whatever and potentially wearing a hole in the membrane.

Comment

Working...