X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paris401
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2015

solaredge products..... UNRELIABLE

i have '2' houses with sunpower panels n solaredge inverters and modules .. 1st house have had em installed for 8years ...17 327 panels- so far no problems...HOWEVER the other home has 28 335 sunpower panels, panels seem ok, but its been installed for 5years and have gone thru 1/2 dozen optimizers , one just failed this weekend... on top of that, for the last maybe 12months, the solaredge reporting has been spotty... some days it doesn't report for 2-3 days, then on the next day it shows the previous production - installer said its the cell service, so they finally decided to installed a direct line to my internet - the day after installing , its reporting ZERO production - the installer went back out and said the inverter is DEAD... lucky, it only took em 4 days to install a new (re-furbished ??) inverter ... i lost 30 days of production, but it was from dec 15-jan 15, so being on long island, its not a great production month... but still...
    any one else having problems with their solaredge equipment??? i think they have a 12 year warr, so i'm whole.... so far....
  • Mike 134
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2022

Knock on wood 2 years no issues once they got their website to correctly add and subtract the data I was sending them. Naturally they at first said it was something wrong on my end till I pointed out the values from the layout page were correct just the home page was wrong. "said they'd get back to me" 3 months later without comment poof everything suddenly added correctly and has since.

I think you bought yours at the time they had 6-7 choices of optimizers, they have since gone down to two and that seems to have stopped the issue with optimizers.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by paris401
      i have '2' houses with sunpower panels n solaredge inverters and modules .. 1st house have had em installed for 8years ...17 327 panels- so far no problems...HOWEVER the other home has 28 335 sunpower panels, panels seem ok, but its been installed for 5years and have gone thru 1/2 dozen optimizers , one just failed this weekend... on top of that, for the last maybe 12months, the solaredge reporting has been spotty... some days it doesn't report for 2-3 days, then on the next day it shows the previous production - installer said its the cell service, so they finally decided to installed a direct line to my internet - the day after installing , its reporting ZERO production - the installer went back out and said the inverter is DEAD... lucky, it only took em 4 days to install a new (re-furbished ??) inverter ... i lost 30 days of production, but it was from dec 15-jan 15, so being on long island, its not a great production month... but still...
      any one else having problems with their solaredge equipment??? i think they have a 12 year warr, so i'm whole.... so far....
      Another happy SolarEdge customer.

Also, I'm with Mike on SolarEdge supplier quality.

A couple of other things:

Installers can and do often make the difference between a trouble-free system and one that seems to be born under a bad sign.
      Or, sometimes other factors such as new personnel working with little or poor supervision, or even the weather during installationcan cause maintenance or operation problems.

Same installer for both jobs or different ?

It also seems to me that Sunpower equipment ain't what it used to be since I designed my Sunpower string inverter system 11+ years ago partly because (IMO only) I was very careful about my choice of installers and that I also sat on the roof and watched the installation start to finish. That system hasn't even hiccupped (yet), but my and other's reported experience with Sunpower service has never been good.

Finally, optimizer or micro inverter systems are inherently more complicated that string inverter systems. That violates one and maybe the first of the cardinal rules of equipment design: The KISS principle.

Comment

• paris401
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Another happy SolarEdge customer.

Also, I'm with Mike on SolarEdge supplier quality.

A couple of other things:

Installers can and do often make the difference between a trouble-free system and one that seems to be born under a bad sign.
        Or, sometimes other factors such as new personnel working with little or poor supervision, or even the weather during installationcan cause maintenance or operation problems.

Same installer for both jobs or different ?

It also seems to me that Sunpower equipment ain't what it used to be since I designed my Sunpower string inverter system 11+ years ago partly because (IMO only) I was very careful about my choice of installers and that I also sat on the roof and watched the installation start to finish. That system hasn't even hiccupped (yet), but my and other's reported experience with Sunpower service has never been good.

Finally, optimizer or micro inverter systems are inherently more complicated that string inverter systems. That violates one and maybe the first of the cardinal rules of equipment design: The KISS principle.

good morning... yes the installer is the same company, sunation on long island - they have a reasonably good rep... of course service issues sometime have taken 2 weeks to get a tech out to the house.. upto early jan as said i was getting the production reports on line tho some times would miss a day or two, then the 3rd day the previous days would show up on line - they said cell problems, hence the direct line to my internet- funny but for prob 2 weeks prior to jan 15, it was reporting just fine, then they came out on jan 15th to run the line, and that was it ... no reporting, and no production as the inverter crapped out (they say)- they finally came back out on feb 12, told me the inverter is shot, but did get a new (refurbished??) one in on feb 15th , and so far seems to be working ok, save for the opt. that is out on one panel, which i am awaiting the service call...

when we were installing, they said sunpower and solaredge is the way to go... not sure i made the rite choice..

Comment

• paris401
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2015

good morning... yes the installer is the same company, sunation on long island - they have a reasonably good rep... of course service issues sometime have taken 2 weeks to get a tech out to the house.. upto early jan as said i was getting the production reports on line tho some times would miss a day or two, then the 3rd day the previous days would show up on line - they said cell problems, hence the direct line to my internet- funny but for prob 2 weeks prior to jan 15, it was reporting just fine, then they came out on jan 15th to run the line, and that was it ... no reporting, and no production as the inverter crapped out (they say)- they finally came back out on feb 12, told me the inverter is shot, but did get a new (refurbished??) one in on feb 15th , and so far seems to be working ok, save for the opt. that is out on one panel, which i am awaiting the service call...

when we were installing, they said sunpower and solaredge is the way to go... not sure i made the rite choice..

i guess they got the ok from solaredge to replace the optimizer- unfort it won't be to april 14th.... while its only 1 panel, still this is the time of the year when i wanta bank as much as possible.... i lost a whole month from jan 15-feb 15th, n now this...

Comment

• Mason Parsons
            • Mar 2024

I hope the company can address those issues you have. I had some issues with my solar power before and I am glad the company was very prompt in helping me resolved those issues.

Comment

• paris401
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2015

so the installers actually came out earlier on april 11th- it was a rainy/cloudy day, and i presume they replaced an opt. - so here it is april 13th, i check the system, and apparently '6' panels are doing DICK.... i am at a loss of what to do next

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

I'm not going to kick you when you're down and this is meant more for potential PV users than to rag on you but the situation you describe shows the truth, validity and appropriateness of the KISS principle.

Watching the rise and fall of PV over the years both on this forum and in my experience, it is more obvious to me that simple string inverter systems are more reliable than either optimizer or micro equipped systems.

More than anecdotal but less than a smoking gun: How many posts to this forum over the years have been about problems related to optimizers or micros vs. problems with simple string inverter equipped systems ?
                Answer, IMO only, a lot more.

Sure, poor vendor selection, poor installation methods, crappy installers, inappropriate applications and other things as well as user solar ignorance about what they buy are also causes of problems but the seeming deluge of woes related to micros and optimizers is still the most common problem reported around here.

The reason for that is clear to me and it ain't rocket science: Micro and optimizer equipped systems are more complicated than string inverter only equipped systems so they have more problems - more to go wrong.
                Simple as that.
                A textbook case of violation of the KISS principle.
                Then, it's all downhill and compounding after that.

Added to that, the optimizers and/or micros (which are quite sensitive to heat), and the added wiring and connections which come with more electronics are often or at least potentially more troublesome than other parts of the system and, the make things even worse, are all located in what's usually the hottest and probably the most inaccessible place on a home (the roof).
                Not a good formula for trouble free operation in my play book.

To potential users, if you get any PV at all, get informed BEFORE you get any quotes, spend a lot of time evaluating your needs and as much time evaluating potential installers, never lease or PPA, pay cash, monitor the installation work, and for the love of the Almighty, avoid micros and optimizers in favor of a simple string inverter system and a decent but SIMPLE monitoring system. Never rely on the vendor promises of keeping an eye on the systems. Assume that's a bunch of B.S. and keep a simple eyeball on system performance yourself. Few, if any users need panel level monitoring. Most never look at it after the novelty wears off anyway.

Parris: BTW, are you still visiting Mission Bay in the winter ?

Comment

• paris401
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2015

Parris: BTW, are you still visiting Mission Bay in the winter ?
                  n
                  yess .. sometimes, twice a year.. we were staying at the hilton on mission bay... i think room 140, as there is no one above u.... it has changed hands, and last time despite making the ressie 3-4mos in advance, and confirming that room.. it was occupied.... so in oct we will stay elsewhere, tho that hotel/services is great...

Comment

• DanS26
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2011

I'd like to add a few comments to the micros vs string inverter systems comparisons.

Solar PV consumers are very attracted to the "I want to monitor each panel" sales pitch and "I got a patch of shade" sales pitch. Lots of micro systems are sold based on those arguments over string systems. Both arguments are weak.

You do not need individual panel monitoring to watch your system if it is designed correctly. Never build a string system with one big inverter, that is a mistake. Always build with two or more matched string inverters with similar DC inputs. Monitoring now becomes a simple periodic look at the AC outputs between inverters. A lag in one inverter output means you do not have to shut the entire system down to find the culprit panel. A PV maintenance tech will find that panel post haste with a simple meter in most cases. No need for complicated monitoring, just look at the outputs on a regular basis.

The shading issue has been mostly disproven awhile ago. There are multiple reports on the web to prove, here is just one of many........

Lots of money and time has been wasted on putting complicated electronics on the rooftop. It is just not necessary.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DanS26
                      I'd like to add a few comments to the micros vs string inverter systems comparisons.

Solar PV consumers are very attracted to the "I want to monitor each panel" sales pitch and "I got a patch of shade" sales pitch. Lots of micro systems are sold based on those arguments over string systems. Both arguments are weak.

You do not need individual panel monitoring to watch your system if it is designed correctly. Never build a string system with one big inverter, that is a mistake. Always build with two or more matched string inverters with similar DC inputs. Monitoring now becomes a simple periodic look at the AC outputs between inverters. A lag in one inverter output means you do not have to shut the entire system down to find the culprit panel. A PV maintenance tech will find that panel post haste with a simple meter in most cases. No need for complicated monitoring, just look at the outputs on a regular basis.

The shading issue has been mostly disproven awhile ago. There are multiple reports on the web to prove, here is just one of many........

Lots of money and time has been wasted on putting complicated electronics on the rooftop. It is just not necessary.
                      Dan: FWIW, I agree.

Individual panel monitoring is not necessary. That whole idea is a red herring peddlers use to scare people and sell more unneeded stuff to people who have been brainwashed.

It's a non-issue for several reasons we've about beaten to death.

Besides, and on top of that, most users are clueless about what to look for in the first place.

Similar to what you write, my inverter has 2 circuits of 8 panels each and that's what and how it gets reported for power, voltage, current and other parameters. Any anomalies between circuits are immediately obvious meaning individual panel problems are obvious. That's when to call for service - which is exactly what would happen if individual panel monitoring were in place - that is, provided all the redundant electronics of micros or optimizers worked as designed - but it seems like that all those fancy redundant electronics may very well not be functioning as a lot of posts to this forum can attest.

The whole issue of panel level monitoring is B.S. but people parrot what the vendors spew out to them without knowing they're getting a con job and a false sense of security of the kind as evidenced by Paris's comments going back to his 2015 posts.

As for losses from shading, besides what you cite and other data as reported from the journals - if any of it of any stripe is to be believed - if a site has such a shade situation such that it might cause a production problem that would seriously impact cost effectiveness that could have been estimated with reasonable accuracy at or before the preliminary design was done, maybe the whole application was a bad one from the get-go and should not have been undertaken in the first place.

Besides, no micro or optimizer will entirely eliminate a shade problem unless it can invent sunshine.

The reality is some properties are simply poor candidates for solar energy applications - and that "some" is a greater number or percentage than most PV peddlers will own up to.
                      Problem there is that, to my experience anyway, most folks are completely incapable of even simple financial analysis of the type necessary to make informed guesses about what the shade will cost long term (and they will always be guesses when talking about the future and what constitutes a cost-effective design.

I've seen a lot of designs that make no sense on a cursory inspection and have also tried to show some of my neighbors on paper why, if cost effectiveness means anything in the decision process to get PV, they'd be better off putting the assets planned on being spent on PV somewhere else.

But, keeping up with the Joneses and solar ignorance is a hard combination to overcome and also fairly ubiquitous. I see it all around my HOA and more of it on this forum.

Comment

• paris401
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2015

so they put me on the sch for april 21st, tho tomm when the sch. people r in they will try and move it up... i have a total of 28 SP 335's - 7 are not producing at all, and 7 r showing very (very) little production, so 1/2 the system is doing DICK... i don't get it... until last thursday there was '1' panel not producing. now 1/2 aren't - even tho thursday was a crumby day, overcast and raining, should the tech not have seen something is funky???

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

so they put me on the sch for april 21st, tho tomm when the sch. people r in they will try and move it up... i have a total of 28 SP 335's - 7 are not producing at all, and 7 r showing very (very) little production, so 1/2 the system is doing DICK... i don't get it... until last thursday there was '1' panel not producing. now 1/2 aren't - even tho thursday was a crumby day, overcast and raining, should the tech not have seen something is funky???
                          How do you know the production is down vs. a reporting problem ?

Comment

• paris401
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2015

How do you know the production is down vs. a reporting problem ?
                            good point... i was having reporting problems for months and months- so the solution they said was run a direct line to the modem ,by-passing cellular . that was done on jan 15th- prior to jan 15, the reporting was actually good for 2-3 week. they ran the line direct... and nothing... it was reporting 'zero' production... (jan 14th the day b4 they ran the line reporting was fine).when they finally came back out around feb 9th, it was discovered that the inverter took a crap, and they swapped it out on feb 15th... worked well till late march, when i noticed a panel out- appt was made for april 11th, n now this... so is it a reporting problem...maybe... is it crappy repair people...maybe... i don't have a clue... all i know i lost a whole month from jan15-feb15, thank god production in this period is minimal.... BUT this is the time i wanta be banking power for july and aug when i got 14tons of ac pumping...

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

good point... i was having reporting problems for months and months- so the solution they said was run a direct line to the modem ,by-passing cellular . that was done on jan 15th- prior to jan 15, the reporting was actually good for 2-3 week. they ran the line direct... and nothing... it was reporting 'zero' production... (jan 14th the day b4 they ran the line reporting was fine).when they finally came back out around feb 9th, it was discovered that the inverter took a crap, and they swapped it out on feb 15th... worked well till late march, when i noticed a panel out- appt was made for april 11th, n now this... so is it a reporting problem...maybe... is it crappy repair people...maybe... i don't have a clue... all i know i lost a whole month from jan15-feb15, thank god production in this period is minimal.... BUT this is the time i wanta be banking power for july and aug when i got 14tons of ac pumping...
                              Does you POCO daily or hourly use show any information that could be used to verify/refute what your system monitor claims ?
                              I can get 15 minute data from SDG & E. sometimes it's got an error or two in the data stream but most of the time I can use it to verify system output withing a % or so.
                              It's probably a good way for me to verify my system monitoring operation, or at least that it's not haywire.

Comment

Working...