X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sheelar
    • Dec 2023

Enphase consumption issue when panels are producing

Hello community- Super new to the whole solar world. I personally just installed a 8.4kw ground mount system using Enphase IQ8+ inverters and 28 395w Q-cell Duo . I was very happy with the overall experience with Enphase as a whole. Price wise they are more but I liked the ablity to convert right to AC and not have High DC voltage traveling 200ft to a central inverter. Downside is I do get throttled some because of the limitation on the power output of the inverter vs my Panels. I live in the Rochester NY which has to be the cloudiest city in the world. I figured I would never clip any way, so why spend more on the larger inverters they offer.. I do have 2 panels under producing which I will need to deal with at some point. They are exactly half of what the other panels are doing, so my assumption at this point is the panels are messed up. (there is no shading issues) We will see how it goes in trying to get them replaced under warranty. I really like the reporting that Enphase offers with their setup, but support is so so. Which brings me to my issue that I just can't get a good reason from Enphase on what's going on.

My system has 2 consumption meters that are placed on the two legs in my main panel. These are suppose to be used to measure the consumption the house is pulling. Which looks correct, until my panels start to fire up. Once my panels start producing power, my house consumption starts to rise regardless of changes in the houses demand. To prove this I waited till I had a sunny day (which is never) and I physically turned off all power to my house, but left the solar breaker installed in my main panel on (Grid tied). The one phase dropped to almost 0 but the other phase still showed about 1.7kw of power consumption. How is this possible? All the house power was off? Attached is the graph. The orange lines are the consumption meters, the Blue is the production meter. Could I have some type of noise on the one phase that is giving me a bad reading on house consumption? A couple of notes when looking at the picture attached. I only pulled power on the house for about 19min. Enphase plots every 15min. So when you look you will see the dip in the consumption meters when I killed power to the house. The other interesting thing is to see how the power consumption rises and falls with energy production (blue line is production). Enphase as checked the phasing and believes I have everything installed correctly even the Consumption and production meters.. (the arrow is pointed the correct direction in the panels for flow)

Anyone have a similar issue?

Enphase C.png
  • scrambler
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2019

When you say power meter, I assume you have CT clamps measuring Amps connected to a monitor that also measures the voltage to calculate power.

if so you may want to create a schematic of where the various clamps are and where the solar and the house loads are.

if you clamp the entrance of the Electrical panel, and if both house loads and the solar input are in that panel, then what you are measuring is the net Import or export of electricity (Solar minus house loads).
    BUT the big question is: Does your monitoring device and your clamps allows for Bi directional measurement?

Many are uni directional, which means they will report a positive value for consumption, and also a positive value for export. This makes it impossible to properly monitor things with solar input in the panel.

So another question is: Do you see the house monitoring go negative when you are exporting to the grid, or do you always see a positive graph, regardless of whether you are importing from the grid or exporting to it?

Comment

• Will792
      • Jan 2019

I suspect that you did not configure correctly location of production/consumption meters. Envoy supports consumption meter that nets production and consumption, like when PV system wired into the main panel. When you add consumption meter to envoy it asks several simple questions that drive how it computes house consumption. Do you remember what you selected?

Comment

Working...