X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daxo
    • Aug 2022

Solar newbie

Hi there, I'm new to this and still trying to wrap my head around the basics in an attempt to build my first small solar setup.

I've always wanted to use solar, yet, never really got to it till now. Realistically, looking to reduce my electrical bills given time. Would like to start with a small 24v system with a single panel while leaving enough room for future expansions.

For now, would like to use it to power my laptop, lights, and tv for several hours a day, sometimes use a small microwave oven/kettle for a minute or a few, and occasionally charge my power tools batteries etc.

Spent days watching YT videos and reading forums trying to get a grasp on the whole thing.

After giving it some thoughts with considerations to space limitation and orientation to Sun from my place, I think slowly but surely I have a rough idea of what I'd like to use but lack understanding and certainty about these components match and hope I could get some guidance here from the solar experts.

I find this whole solar thing fascinating and am eager to learn as much about it as possible and get to understand how it all works, ins and outs.

I'm in no rush, enjoying the process.

Thanks for having me, Appreciated
    Last edited by Daxo; 08-12-2022, 04:16 PM.
  • Thescoutranch
    • Aug 2022

Welcome, from another newbie.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Hello Daxo and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Daxo
        Hi there, I'm new to this and still trying to wrap my head around the basics in an attempt to build my first small solar setup.

I've always wanted to use solar, yet, never really got to it till now. Realistically, looking to reduce my electrical bills given time. Would like to start with a small 24v system with a single panel while leaving enough room for future expansions.

For now, would like to use it to power my laptop, lights, and tv for several hours a day, sometimes use a small microwave oven/kettle for a minute or a few, and occasionally charge my power tools batteries etc.

Spent days watching YT videos and reading forums trying to get a grasp on the whole thing.

After giving it some thoughts with considerations to space limitation and orientation to Sun from my place, I think slowly but surely I have a rough idea of what I'd like to use but lack understanding and certainty about these components match and hope I could get some guidance here from the solar experts.

I find this whole solar thing fascinating and am eager to learn as much about it as possible and get to understand how it all works, ins and outs.

I'm in no rush, enjoying the process.

Thanks for having me, Appreciated
        I'd respectfully suggest you stop wasting your time on you tube junk, most of which is a waste with a lot of that incorrect or just plain stupid.
        Start with a free PDF download of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies".

Read it, then run something called "PVWatts" after you read all the help screens a couple of times.
        It's a quick learning curve, especially so if you read the dummies book beforehand. PVWatts is a user friendly solar modeling software from NREL.

If you want to wrap your head around the basics, start with a good foundation. After those two things the book and the model, come back here and ask questions your self education raises. Doing it that way will give you more and better information up front which also means the questions you then ask here will have more meat on them, and the answers you get here will have more meaning to you.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Comment

Working...