• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike 134
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2022

retired electrician investigating solar for himself

Greetings,

Tire kicking the idea of adding solar to my house. So far this has been a very useful site steering me to sites like https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/ and the questions answered in the various topics.
  • sdold
    • Jun 2014

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. I also started my solar journey here, back in 2014 when I was putting up my first DIY system. Looking forward to reading about your progress.

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

Next thing you know, you'll be installing for your friends and relatives....
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• Mike 134
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2022

Paperwork part of the project is done, permit in hand. Now to take delivery next week of the parts and pieces.

Comment

• foggysail
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mike 134
          Paperwork part of the project is done, permit in hand. Now to take delivery next week of the parts and pieces.
          How did you accomplish all that Mike? I also have expired journeyman and master electrician licenses, a BSEE, years of construction experience along with an expired Massachusetts construction supervisor's license. I talked to both my town's building and electrical inspectors. The building inspector demands a structural engineering report from a licensed structural engineer. The electrical inspector said he would OK a permit for the electrical work IF I can get a building permit.

I intend to pursue doing solar even if I have to pay for an engineering report.

Comment

• Mike 134
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2022

Originally posted by foggysail

How did you accomplish all that Mike? I also have expired journeyman and master electrician licenses, a BSEE, years of construction experience along with an expired Massachusetts construction supervisor's license. I talked to both my town's building and electrical inspectors. The building inspector demands a structural engineering report from a licensed structural engineer. The electrical inspector said he would OK a permit for the electrical work IF I can get a building permit.

I intend to pursue doing solar even if I have to pay for an engineering report.
            I also had to have prints stamped by a structure engineer.
            I was able draw my own prints because I have an Autocad program, then found a SE that really understood the snow loads and uplift forces for a solar system and he had no problem using my prints after reviewing them. That was key finding him. First SE I spoke with totally dismissed the fact that roofs are designed for 2 layers of shingles when planning to add solar on top of one layer. I contacted a few EEs I knew from work for recommendations before finally finding the right SE.
            Rest was the typical stuff gathering cut sheets for the submittal package, making sure I included everything on their solar checklist.

Good luck.

BTW have you tried the Iron ridge design tool for the mounting system?

Comment

• foggysail
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2012

Not yet! But do have SWH Solar Racking Installation Guide. I am going to download Iron Ridge if I can google it. Whose panels are you planning to use? I installed solar onto my boat (1.2KW) to keep my batteries up when on anchor/moorings. But has an apartment refrigerator with self defrost, 32 & 40'' TV's and other power loads. Solar works super well on hte boat. I am thinking I might stick with the same panel company because their 440W panels are divided into 2 essentially parallel sections. I don't know if I can name them other than they are from the country north of us

I will soon see what kind of drawing the building inspector will accept. My Son-in-Law uses AutoCad for his work so if need be.....

Need to look to find an SE.....Wifey is opposed to my project but I, not her will be paying for it. Massachusetts Governer just passed a law that forces electric companies to increase renewables 3%/year so things are about to get $$$ expensive.

And Mike.... good luck, get help lifting those panels!!!

Comment

• Mike 134
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2022

Foggy,
                I'm using Jinko 405W panels with Solar edge S440 optimizers and a 7.6kw Solar Edge inverter. I liked the Jinko's because they were only 39.5" wide so I could get 2 rows of 9 on my gable roof and still have the required 3' pathway on either side for the Firemen. And the price was right $202 for a 405 watt panel. My costs will still be $1.33/w by the time I'm finished with all the nickel and dime costs added in.

Comment

• foo1bar
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2014

How did you accomplish all that Mike? I also have expired journeyman and master electrician licenses, a BSEE, years of construction experience along with an expired Massachusetts construction supervisor's license. I talked to both my town's building and electrical inspectors. The building inspector demands a structural engineering report from a licensed structural engineer.
                  Not Mike, but I did my own install, including permit applications, etc. And I'm not licensed, just the homeowner.
                  In my city, they have guidelines that if you're installing a rack system that is attaching every 4 feet you don't need stamped structural drawings.
                  They even had an example permit package that you could use as a template for your application.

You can see if your AHJ (city/county/whatever) has a similar way to avoid having to pay for a PE.
                  If not, you can see if the racking system company will give you something, and if that will be sufficient for the AHJ.
                  Otherwise, I think you have to find someone to do the drawings and stamp them.

Good luck.

Comment

• Mike 134
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2022

Originally posted by foo1bar

Not Mike, but I did my own install, including permit applications, etc. And I'm not licensed, just the homeowner.
                    In my city, they have guidelines that if you're installing a rack system that is attaching every 4 feet you don't need stamped structural drawings.
                    They even had an example permit package that you could use as a template for your application.

You can see if your AHJ (city/county/whatever) has a similar way to avoid having to pay for a PE.
                    If not, you can see if the racking system company will give you something, and if that will be sufficient for the AHJ.
                    Otherwise, I think you have to find someone to do the drawings and stamp them.

Good luck.
                    Tell us about your system, how steep of a roof? Whose mounting system? Any issues ? What was your final cost in dollars per watt?

Comment

• foggysail
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Sep 2012

Foggy,
                      I'm using Jinko 405W panels with Solar edge S440 optimizers and a 7.6kw Solar Edge inverter. I liked the Jinko's because they were only 39.5" wide so I could get 2 rows of 9 on my gable roof and still have the required 3' pathway on either side for the Firemen. And the price was right $202 for a 405 watt panel. My costs will still be $1.33/w by the time I'm finished with all the nickel and dime costs added in.
                      You are way ahead of me Mike AND GOOD JOB getting permits!!! What I am going to spend efforts on is trying to get a package together for a building permit. I was thinking of Canadian's panels only because I used them on my boat.

foo1bar:
                      Where are you located? The my local building inspector was so so but he wants an engineering stamp and a structural analysis. Not what I want to do but I certainly do not want to spend $25-30K for a registered company to do the installation. But with lawsuits today so common I can understand a building inspector's demands.

Comment

• foo1bar
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2014

foo1bar:
                        Where are you located? The my local building inspector was so so but he wants an engineering stamp and a structural analysis. Not what I want to do but I certainly do not want to spend $25-30K for a registered company to do the installation. But with lawsuits today so common I can understand a building inspector's demands.
                        Tell us about your system, how steep of a roof? Whose mounting system? Any issues ? What was your final cost in dollars per watt?
                        I'm in California - bay area.

Total was ~$2.35/W in parts, etc. before tax incentives/rebates.
                        Was ~7 years ago - so some things were a little more expensive then.
                        And I had some expenses (stucco repair, service upgrade) that a lot of people would not have.
                        It was good for me that the service upgrade was part of this since it was therefore qualified for tax rebate.
                        That certainly was beneficial beyond being for solar. But because one of the reasons was the solar install it was effectively 30% cheaper than it would have been otherwise.

My roof is very walkable - IIRC it's 4/12. I used Ironridge XR10.

Solaredge portal says 83.94MWh over it's lifetime. (But I think SE monitoring is ~5% optimistic.)
                        83940 * 95% * $.10/kwh == $7974.30.
                        With the rebates and tax incentives, it's definitely been a net benefit to me financially already. And I think still has 15+ years of life left to it.

Comment

• foggysail
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2012

Foggy,

Mike, you have an excellent panel price! I am in no rush for solar other than my target is to have permits ready by July at the latest. Just crazy with the poop facing me as I type. Just finished a major gut job and reconstruction for one of my bathrooms. Between the bathroom and a rear deck I ripped the old decking off, enlarge it, replaced the decking with permanent deck flooring I had junk, 2 1/2 tons of crap that was hauled away in a dumpster, Bathroom now completely tiled (hired the tile guys) now with working glass enclosed shower, new toilet and waiting for Wifey to select and order a vanity and a storage cabinet for it. I have a stack of oak laminate flooring ready for carpet replacement.... about 12-1300 sqft. Returned home from a few weeks in Florida to find my home freezing... pipes survived. Boiler failed and the next day I was able purchase a new one and had it heating the house before the day ended it with help from a couple of friends.

Back to your project; are you installing the panels yourself? If so how are you ging to get them up to your roof? I have too much going on by taking care of my 10 rental apartments, home projects plus I am not as young as I would like to be. I hoped to try subcontracting a panel installer, does not appear to be anybody here in Massachusetts advertising as such. Heck, I might even talk to some roofers who have shingle lifts to see if any are interested. More later.. and good luck with your project.

Comment

• Mike 134
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2022

Back to your project; are you installing the panels yourself? If so how are you ging to get them up to your roof? I have too much going on by taking care of my 10 rental apartments, home projects plus I am not as young as I would like to be. I hoped to try subcontracting a panel installer, does not appear to be anybody here in Massachusetts advertising as such. Heck, I might even talk to some roofers who have shingle lifts to see if any are interested. More later.. and good luck with your project.
                            You've been busy.....good to hear no damage from the broken boiler.
                            I'm self installing the system. Roof is 8/12 so not walkable but crawlable and I'll have on fall protection. I just don't bounce as well as I did 40 years ago. Fortunately working in the trades kept me in shape without wearing myself out.
                            I'll have my 3 sons helping, one is also an electrician so he'll be on the roof with me. Edge of the roof is 10' off the ground so 2 section of bricklayers scaffold will make for a nice work platform making the transition of getting the panels from the ground to the roof easy. 2nd son can stand on the scaffold and the 3rd can lift them up to #2. Once the rails are mounted they will make for a nice foot anchor on the roof

Comment

• foggysail
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Sep 2012

You've been busy.....good to hear no damage from the broken boiler.
                              I'm self installing the system. Roof is 8/12 so not walkable but crawlable and I'll have on fall protection. I just don't bounce as well as I did 40 years ago. Fortunately working in the trades kept me in shape without wearing myself out.
                              I'll have my 3 sons helping, one is also an electrician so he'll be on the roof with me. Edge of the roof is 10' off the ground so 2 section of bricklayers scaffold will make for a nice work platform making the transition of getting the panels from the ground to the roof easy. 2nd son can stand on the scaffold and the 3rd can lift them up to #2. Once the rails are mounted they will make for a nice foot anchor on the roof
                              I have not taken down my aluminum stagging at a gable end that I used last year for re-siding. I used a 120V Harbor Freight winch to pull heavy pieces up, not sure I want to use that for pulling up panels. You are fortunate to have good help!!! Be careful!

Comment

Working...