X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyriver
    • May 2021

Charging Lead Acid and Lithium Ion Batteries using the SPF 3000TL LVM-ES 48

I built a off grid cabin 3 years ago back in the Missouri Ozarks. I wired it like a home on grid, complete with a AC service panel and normal home runs. Up to this point I have been using the 48 volt battery system on a golf cart to power the cabin when I visit using a 3000 watt inverter mounted on the golf cart. I'm looking to add some solar panels and some in house batteries with a hybrid SPF 3000TL LVM-ES 48 volt 3kW Growatt inverter to power the cabin. Looking to find some answers as I go through the process of setting things up. So far I have purchased: 12 - Panasonic 35mm 315 Watt HIT® Black 96-Cell Photovoltaic Modules 3 - 48V Gyll LiFePo4 100AH 5.12kWH batteries and the SPF 3000TL LVM-ES 48 volt 3kW Growatt inverter.

As I begin to set things up I'm wondering if it is possible to charge both the lead acid batteries on the golf cart and the 48V Gyll LiFePo4 100AH 5.12kWH batteries from the SPF 3000TL LVM-ES without having to go into the configuration settings every time I need to switch from lithium to lead acid to charge them using the solar panels. I plan on using a DC Disconnect Switch for Multiple Battery Banks to jump back and forth as needed, but I'm unsure about how to setup the inverter. The SPF 3000TL LVM-ES is designed power off the grid and I plan to use my 3000 watt golf cart inverter as its grid power source to supplement the cabins power needs to save the in house lithium batteries when there is no solar (my house is less than a mile away).
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

I forsee an issue changing batteries. You have to power down the whole system, switch batteries, and then reboot it all. Otherwise, you risk solar power not having a "sink" (batteries) if the solar exceeds the power demand. And changing batteries will require a different charge profile for each battery anyway.
    Get some quick connect Anderson Plugs, should be able to change in 5 min.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• skyriver
      • May 2021

Thanks Mike, I'm planning on using the Anderson plugs and some 1/0 welding cables to connect the golf cart batteries to the DC Disconnect Switch for Multiple Battery Banks and not physically changing the batteries every time. So what you're saying is that the solar charger will charge up the golf carts without any charge profile changes in the controller/inverter?

66 year old retired carpenter with a off grid cabin in the Ozarks. Panasonic 35mm 315 Watt HIT 96-Cell Modules || 48V Gyll LiFePo4 100AH 5.12kWH batteries || SPF 3000TL LVM-ES 48 volt 3kW Growatt inverter.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

NO. you will need to configure the charger for each flavor of battery. Some are easily programmed (Morningstar via windows software) some are manual button pushing all the way

And changing batteries will require a different charge profile for each battery anyway.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• skyriver
          • May 2021

I'm thinking about just buying another Growatt 3000TL LVM-ES inverter and run them in parallel, then charge the 2 battery banks by hooking them up to the individual inverters.

Thanks Mike for your response and help.

66 year old retired carpenter with a off grid cabin in the Ozarks. Panasonic 35mm 315 Watt HIT 96-Cell Modules || 48V Gyll LiFePo4 100AH 5.12kWH batteries || SPF 3000TL LVM-ES 48 volt 3kW Growatt inverter.

Comment

Working...