X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jhopson
    • May 2021

Jim Hopson

I am new and have had a solar system 3 months now. I live on a golf course and asked the salesman about golf balls hitting the panels. He said that were guaranteed for golf ball size hail, so they should hold up, he was wrong. I have now had to replace two panels due to golf balls. My question is, does anyone know of some type of netting that can be used over the panels to protect them form this happening? Thanks
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Jhopson
    I am new and have had a solar system 3 months now. I live on a golf course and asked the salesman about golf balls hitting the panels. He said that were guaranteed for golf ball size hail, so they should hold up, he was wrong. I have now had to replace two panels due to golf balls. My question is, does anyone know of some type of netting that can be used over the panels to protect them form this happening? Thanks
    This question comes up periodically around here. The short answer seems to be probably not anything possible, practical, workable and aesthetically acceptable.

Usually and first off, your HOA, if you have one, will most likely not allow such things as they are usually deemed unsightly.
    Then, there's the maint. and upkeep of netting that will be blowing in the breeze and collecting larger leaves (and birds - or bats at night). The leaves will also perhaps/likely increase the shading on the array.
    Also, the netting will need to be taken down and serviced on a regular basis.That may be more bothersome than you might think both from both design and practical considerations.
    Add the need to design the thing for wind loads which, with the wind load being increased by larger leaves getting stuck in it and increasing the wind loading, will require some design considerations.
    Then, watch your insurance premiums change.

I've had my array on a course going on 8 years now and it's about 100 ft. from a tee box. I've had a few array strikes but no breaks. I'm also on the HOA board in this community of ~ 560 homes, about 25 % of which have PV. No panel glazing breaks from golf balls in the 13+ yrs. I've been here - but I appreciate that's probably a bit unusual. You must be in an artillery range.

If I was you, I'd check my homeowner's insurance policy and/or contact my insurance agent.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Jhopson
      This question comes up periodically. The short answer is probably not.

Usually and first off, your HOA, if you have one, will most likely not allow such things as they are usually deemed unsightly.

Then, there's the maint. and upkeep of netting that will be blowing in the breeze and collecting larger leaves, which, BTW will also perhaps/likely increase the shading on the array and have a negative effect on array output .

The netting will need to be taken down and serviced on a regular basis.

Add the need to design the thing for wind loads which, mostly because of the leaves/larger debris the net catches that adds to the wind effected cross section, increasing the wind loading in ways unknown, and so needs to be accounted for and designed for in rather conservative ways (read more $$ and probably more unsightly).

Then there's the issue of insurance rates.

Comment

Working...