X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geee35
    • May 2021

Acquiring used equipment for a hybrid system

Hello all,

As I explain what I am wanting to accomplish and what research I have done, I am sure there will be some gaping holes or things contradicting (unknowingly) with what I think I need. First I will put out there what I am wanting to accomplish, my current consumption (I'm in Texas btw near DFW), the parts I am looking at right now, and the rest of the things I think I need to make everything work as I scale things up.

My end goal is to produce enough electricity to fully power my house without the grid. I'd still like to be tied to the grid, but would need to be able to function as if off grid the moment grid power is lost. It would be nice to get paid for any excess power I would be making if I got to that point as well.

Attached is my last 12 months usage. Peaking last summer right around 2000kWh. I do plan on acquiring some land and getting a home built hopefully within a year or so and would like to be able to scale up if need be.

-To start out I always have a budget with things and will buy piece by piece as I am able to. Currently looking at 7 Rene Solar 250W -36V panels @ $80 a piece right now.
    -Would like to have a few batteries to start out with. UPG UB121000 12V 100 Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery@149.99 a piece.
    -32 Enphase Energy M215-60-2LL micro-inverters, cables and an Envoy R communications monitor. Been in service for 6 years with 19 years left on the warranty. All were working when decommissioned. $1600 for everything.

To tie all this together I am not sure on if I should get a separate MPPT Charge Controller and inverter or an all in one such as a SMA SI6048-US-10 Sunny Island 6048 Inverter/Charger. After figuring out what would be best, I would then be on the hunt to try and find used as I am trying to do this project without costing an arm and a leg. I am aware there may be things not worth or unable to procure used and will have to go new, but I would prefer to avoid if safely possible/economically viable/warranty concerns etc.

I would like to be able to tie in a generator in the future as another redundancy measure as well. As a separate project I am wanting to acquire a multi fuel engine and utilize that as a generator. I also have a car generator that takes the amperage from the vehicles alternator and the invertor takes it and is able to power things inside my home as another backup. I did not have fun with the blackouts earlier this year in Texas during the winter storms.

I know there should probably be a few more things I will need to make this all work, rails, disconnect, junction boxes, conduit, wiring, meter from the power company. Will def need to do more research on the specifics of everything as this will mostly be DIY and the fact I am trying to source all of this used.

Any professional expertise would be greatly appreciated and I promise I take constructive criticism well, I figure I don't have everything laid out perfect considering I am a noobie.

Attached Files
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

I hate to tell you this but used equipment does not meet the FED tax rebate rules. And a battery backup system will never pay for itself unless you are paying over $0.30/kWh.

A grid tie system may pay for itself (depending on the cost per watt installed) and a generator should help keep the lights on if the grid goes down. But again used equipment is not considered to be Tax deductible.

Comment

• Geee35
      • May 2021

Originally posted by SunEagle
      I hate to tell you this but used equipment does not meet the FED tax rebate rules. And a battery backup system will never pay for itself unless you are paying over $0.30/kWh.

A grid tie system may pay for itself (depending on the cost per watt installed) and a generator should help keep the lights on if the grid goes down. But again used equipment is not considered to be Tax deductible.
      As far as the tax rebate goes I am ok with that, I didn't expect to get it unless everything was new and had a warranty etc. Also, I am more so concerned with being able to survive if something drastic happens and I have no power, plus the older I get the more I want to be disconnected from things. The grid and the bill associated being one of them. Worst case scenario it is more expensive to have a battery back up unless I pay more than .30c.kWh, but I really want that full off the grid capability at any time.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Geee35

As far as the tax rebate goes I am ok with that, I didn't expect to get it unless everything was new and had a warranty etc. Also, I am more so concerned with being able to survive if something drastic happens and I have no power, plus the older I get the more I want to be disconnected from things. The grid and the bill associated being one of them. Worst case scenario it is more expensive to have a battery back up unless I pay more than .30c.kWh, but I really want that full off the grid capability at any time.
        The choice is yours to make but living with off grid equipment tends to add a lot of baby sitting time keeping an eye on the battery SOC and power generation side. It tends to be a full time job which others can provide more detail.

Comment

Working...