X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • offGridJack
    • Dec 2020

hello from north arkansas

Off-grid solar for many years now , but just now saying howdy to all solar junkies..
    used to have a fairly nice solar panel array..until fist-sized hail storm several years ago..
    and have NiFe batteries..little ones..100AH.. works for me..
    regards, jack
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Show us pictures! Bruce Roe

Comment

• offGridJack
      • Dec 2020

I dedicated 4 panels to my electric hot water heater--
      hotWater2.JPG

my solar array that got hailstorm damage--
      solarPanels2.JPG
      Attached Files

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

I'd have considered a batch heater for the water duty.
        Last edited by J.P.M.; 12-21-2020, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• offGridJack
          • Dec 2020

I just used a plain 'ol electric water heater (220v element) and mad my own arduino controller for it.. all it does is wacth the temperature and turn on or off the solar supply.. works perfect..and has been working flawlessly for several years now..

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by offGridJack
            I just used a plain 'ol electric water heater (220v element) and mad my own arduino controller for it.. all it does is wacth the temperature and turn on or off the solar supply.. works perfect..and has been working flawlessly for several years now..
            Well, I guess if you're happy with it, what's not to like ? Just be careful.

Comment

• Rover
              • Dec 2020

I hope this is the correct spot to introduce myself I'm new so some roof edges coming your way. Hello from Lago Vista, TX. My latest project is a new BMW Sprinter van that is right now in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on its way hear.

List of parts and functions of Van conversion (Solar System):

5 amp 12 VDC to 12 VDC charger from main battery to 12 VDC battery bank runs when motor running

10 amp 12 VDC to 12 VDC charger from second battery to 12 VDC battery bank controlled from Voltage relay

4 300 watt solar panels roof mount

5000 and 2000 Watt 12 VDC inverters connected to main battery bank runs AC loads only from (12 VDC) 60 Amp charge controller from a bank of two 750 batteries

40 amp charge controller charged from two of the 300 Watt panels (24 VDC) system provides 12 VDC loads only

Two 24 VDC to 12 VDC 480 Watt each voltage converters (front and back breakout boxes) ran from 24 VDC main runs only 12 VDC loads

(24 VDC to 12 VDC) system have a bank of two 750 amp batteries 12 VDC loads only from 40 Amp charge controller

Charge control relays to cut power on both mains (24 VDC to 12 VDC) @ setpoint (4 dollars each)

Temp fan controllers for mains (24 VDC to 12 VDC) to run fans @ setpoint and meter down charging when over setpoint most go to trickle charge (4 dollars each)

(24 VDC and 12 VDC) system mains are 80 Amp Solid State relays feeding two 12 fuse fuse boxes

Any ideas or comments are welcome as I will start the build in the next 2 weeks (I hope)

Last edited by Rover; 12-23-2020, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

A 2000w inverter needs excellent wiring care - wire for a nominal 200A @ 12v
                A 5000w inverter is actually impractical at 12V, where it would consume about 500A at full load. Most battery components ( lugs, posts, internal jumpers) can only take that for a few seconds before starting to fail.

What sort of loads do you plan to use in that van ?
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Rover
                  • Dec 2020

Circuit beakers are to begin with are 150 amp and 300 amp 2 ga. wire but will limit much more in the software till I am cozy with everything if you know what I mean.

Comment

• Rover
                    • Dec 2020

I think I need at least 3 batteries for 300 amp. What do you think? Posts I think are fine, lugs I know are good and jumpers I'm not sure. Controlling load is the reason I am hear I can control load with software and/or sensors and/or devices but I would prefer to do it old school with relay logic. I would like your input Thank You.

Comment

• Rover
                      • Dec 2020

Wire runs are very short in all cases less than 2 meters. Thank You

Comment

• Rover
                        • Dec 2020

Sorry, AC loads will be 1850 Watts, 1500 Watts and 90 Watts. DC loads will be < 50 Amps. Thank You
                        Last edited by Rover; 12-23-2020, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• Rover
                          • Dec 2020

Also the system is designed to be used as a home backup power system. Thank You.

Comment

• Bala
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rover
                            I hope this is the correct spot to introduce myself I'm new so some roof edges coming your way. Hello from Lago Vista, TX. My latest project is a new BMW Sprinter van that is right now in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on its way hear.

List of parts and functions of Van conversion (Solar System):

5 amp 12 VDC to 12 VDC charger from main battery to 12 VDC battery bank runs when motor running

10 amp 12 VDC to 12 VDC charger from second battery to 12 VDC battery bank controlled from Voltage relay

4 300 watt solar panels roof mount

5000 and 2000 Watt 12 VDC inverters connected to main battery bank runs AC loads only from (12 VDC) 60 Amp charge controller from a bank of two 750 batteries

40 amp charge controller charged from two of the 300 Watt panels (24 VDC) system provides 12 VDC loads only

Two 24 VDC to 12 VDC 480 Watt each voltage converters (front and back breakout boxes) ran from 24 VDC main runs only 12 VDC loads

(24 VDC to 12 VDC) system have a bank of two 750 amp batteries 12 VDC loads only from 40 Amp charge controller

Charge control relays to cut power on both mains (24 VDC to 12 VDC) @ setpoint (4 dollars each)

Temp fan controllers for mains (24 VDC to 12 VDC) to run fans @ setpoint and meter down charging when over setpoint most go to trickle charge (4 dollars each)

(24 VDC and 12 VDC) system mains are 80 Amp Solid State relays feeding two 12 fuse fuse boxes

Any ideas or comments are welcome as I will start the build in the next 2 weeks (I hope)

My ideas and comments are that it looks like an over complicated mess of components that do not make any sense.

I would be looking to make the system a whole lot more simple and use only what ever voltage the vehicle is.

Comment

Working...