Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost finishing my first year with solar . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost finishing my first year with solar . . .

So glad to have found this dedicated solar forum after reading the solar discussions on the Tesla and Prius Chat sites. Got my panels installed July, 2019 and got hooked up to PSE&G in October. Having produced a nice amount of energy this summer, I began to notice that what the solar company has been reporting to me on their app and website is more panel production than what my meter from PSE&G is reporting. For example my lifetime production from the app is approximately 3113 kwh, but on my meter it is around 2375. Is this normal or is something going awry? Appreciate any insight folks have to offer on this. Thanks!

If I understand what you're writing correctly (some would argue that's a big IF) and if all is running as it should, your production meter for the array is showing a pretty close approx. of total production from the array since startup.

The POCO meter is most likely showing your net usage as drawn from the POCO. That is, the POCO meter is showing the difference between your total usage (3,113 kWh + 2,375 kWh = 5,488 kWh) and what the array has produced (3,113 kWh).

So, since array startup you've used ~ 2,375 kWh more electricity than the array has produced.

Comment

Thanks much for your quick reply J.P.M and apologies for lack of clarity. I just went out and looked at the meter. As I read the meter, my total lifetime usage is 2305 kwh, which I understand to be the "in" number. The other figure which shows is 2477, is what I understood to be the total "out" number or what I given back to the grid. My solar company says my total lifetime energy production is 3146 kwh.

My question is why isn't my total out number, 2477, the same as my total production number told to me by my solar company - 3146? I am pretty sure that I have produced more energy than I have used because I have energy credits and have not had to pay PSE&G for electricity since February. Hope this is better stated. I am obviously a novice at this.

Comment

Originally posted by fdeale View Post
        Thanks much for your quick reply J.P.M and apologies for lack of clarity. I just went out and looked at the meter. As I read the meter, my total lifetime usage is 2305 kwh, which I understand to be the "in" number. The other figure which shows is 2477, is what I understood to be the total "out" number or what I given back to the grid. My solar company says my total lifetime energy production is 3146 kwh.

My question is why isn't my total out number, 2477, the same as my total production number told to me by my solar company - 3146? I am pretty sure that I have produced more energy than I have used because I have energy credits and have not had to pay PSE&G for electricity since February. Hope this is better stated. I am obviously a novice at this.
        You're welcome.
        Up to my best intentions at this moment.
        Short ans. might be: Not all array production gets to the grid. Some is consumed on site.

Also, 3,146 kWh- 3,133 kWh = today's use ?

I'd read up on any net metering policies from your POCO and/or give them a buzz. usually there's nooks/crannies in the billing procedures. With some prodding and a friendly and professional but persistent attitude, my POCO can be quite informative. If I was you, I'd give my POCO a call. Always better to get it from the source than some semi anonymous source on the web.

Comment

I am doing the rounds with them too. They have financial interests at stake while here I am looking for more disinterested opinion. 3133-3146 is increased energy production since I looked about two days ago.

Comment

There are four numbers:
            Produced (what came from the panels)
            Bought (what you bought from the power company at a higher rate)
            Sold (excess you sent to the grid and sold back to the power company at a lower rate)
            Used (toaster + air conditioner + stove + all of the other loads in your house)

Used = Bought + Produced - Sold

The netmeter indicates Bought and Sold. That's what the power company reports as well. That's all they can see.

The inverter typically reports Produced. That's what the inverter can see. Some systems also have current transformers on the grid connections.

This website explains the display on a GE or Itron netmeter.
            https://www.eversource.com/content/d...tering-faq.pdf
            7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Thanks for this information bob-n. Those GE and Itron meters provide a lot more information than the one that I have from PSE&G!

Comment

Working...
              X