X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Northern Idaho

First, thanks to the many postings that I have learned from. So much to learn and read. I just built a 3.84 kW (4024/CL150) 12-Panel (on 3 posts) Heliene Off-Grid Solar System on a 21' trailer. It has 8 400ah batteries (24v) and a backup Onan P9500DF generator. I wanted to take it with me should I leave this location. I tied it to the house with an "emergency power" breaker box. Most of the home runs from this panel. My equipment is from Backwoods Solar in Sandpoint, Idaho. I have also spent hours with the customer service folks at Midnite Solar. He helped me fine tune the classic 150 settings. My generator was not accepted by the system. The Conext SCP showed a limit of 60Hz. Noticed the generator was putting out 60.1Hz. So a minor adjustment (60.2 Hz) to the allowable tolerances and my generator now interfaces nicely.
    I am currently trying to figure out how to install the Schneider AGS. The AGS offers 14 "type" generator settings. I have not yet located this information for my P9500DF. Well, I'm back to researching this issue. Advice always welcome. Thanks again for so much information.

George IMG-7600.jpgIMG-7469.jpgIMG-7597.jpg
    Last edited by flyabus; 07-25-2020, 07:12 PM.

George,

That's a very nice setup. Great work. It looks like you also have the ability to adjust panel angle and orientation, which might help a bit as the seasons change. You could even adjust it based on time-of-day. Most of us don't have either luxury.

For really over-the-top engineering, you could automate the panel angle to track the sun.

You also have a nice looking garage/shop.

Good luck with the next steps.
    7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Hello Bob-n. Thank you for the compliments. I do track the sun. The aft most post follows the sun through the day. Maximizes my charging time. Thanks.

Comment

What happens if/when the wind comes up ? If you move it to a distant location, can the panels be dismounted for travel ?

What about shading of the lower portion of the upper (rear) array ?

Comment

Hello JPM. The posts were designed to handle high winds. I add extra support with 4 tie down straps per post. And if you see the picture of the panels in the shop, they rotate to a stored position. I can easily move this trailer back into the shop, or hit the road. The shading you mention is my only unfinished issue, depending on the time of day. If the panels are rotated to a different position, no shading. They are currently at 45 degrees (best Sun angle) and yes, there is some shading in the morning. Non during the mid day. It’s a work in progress, but I’m very happy with this first attempt at solar. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Originally posted by flyabus View Post
            Hello JPM. The posts were designed to handle high winds. I add extra support with 4 tie down straps per post. And if you see the picture of the panels in the shop, they rotate to a stored position. I can easily move this trailer back into the shop, or hit the road. The shading you mention is my only unfinished issue, depending on the time of day. If the panels are rotated to a different position, no shading. They are currently at 45 degrees (best Sun angle) and yes, there is some shading in the morning. Non during the mid day. It’s a work in progress, but I’m very happy with this first attempt at solar. Thanks for asking.
            You're welcome.

Now comes the part where I get to be an engineering prick.

What are the tie downs attached to ?

Looks to me that there is an uncomfortably high probability of the whole assembly overturning in a wind event.

Did you do any calcs on likely applied forces from wind, the weight of the assembly or any estimate of a worst case (minimum) overturning moment of the assembly as part of the design ?
            Last edited by J.P.M.; 07-27-2020, 10:07 AM.

Comment

You can be a prick anytime. HA. There are two ends of the steel frames at each side. Close to the ends of the panels. I have 7000 pound straps that attach to 5000 pound tie downs on the trailer. If a storm is coming, I’ll tow back into the shop. I welcome your input. Having just retired as a life long pilot, I note the weather constantly. I’ll be glad to offer specs on the posts for a more scientific view. That’s a good idea. I’ll send more details for your review. Let me know. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by flyabus View Post
                You can be a prick anytime. HA. There are two ends of the steel frames at each side. Close to the ends of the panels. I have 7000 pound straps that attach to 5000 pound tie downs on the trailer. If a storm is coming, I’ll tow back into the shop. I welcome your input. Having just retired as a life long pilot, I note the weather constantly. I’ll be glad to offer specs on the posts for a more scientific view. That’s a good idea. I’ll send more details for your review. Let me know. Thank you.
                Thank you for the response.

I appreciate the idea of being proactive to weather or other potentially damaging situations.

NOMB, but I've found even extreme diligence in such things has never failed to fail at least once for me and that's all it took for disaster.

Send what you want, but even if I still had a P.E. license and the inclination, both of which have been retired for some time, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get enough details to hang my hat on any numbers or any opinion more firm than I think the design looks like it would have a higher probability than I'd be comfortable with of blowing around and failing in a wind event or for transport at highway speeds.

Just sayin'.

Comment

You're right, the info I send most likely won't be enough. And I still count using my fingers and toes if needed. But this is a broad stroke view of the set up...

The posts are from "UPM6X - UNIVERSAL POST MOUNT BY GENERAL SPECIALTIES" They advertise a 35 lb./sq. ft. wind loading. The posts are 5" schedule 40 steel. Same with the mounts to the 2x6 wood floor planks. The home site is enclosed by 150' tall pines. The tops really get whipping, but we have never had such winds at ground level. The trailer is also aligned with prevailing winds of 200/020 (local runway headings). Each post has 4 strap tie downs rated to 7000lbs. Each post has 2 steel tie downs accepting 2 straps each rated to 5000lbs. I felt like over did this capability. But, you'd see this grown man cry if it rolls!!!

7'x21' Trailer. Empty weight of 2800lbs. Equipment weight is 2750lbs. Total trailer weight is 5550lbs.

The current equipment weight is as follows: Each post mount, and 4 panel array is 430lbs. The Onan generator with full fuel is 225lbs. The 4024CL150 plus weather proof enclosure is 175lbs. Miscellaneous breaker boxes etc. is 50lbs. Eight solar batteries at 124lbs each is 992lbs.

I felt that if a road trip was required, I would at least remove the top two panels on the single 6' post to reduce the crosswind loads during transit.

Well, if anything jumps out at you, I value your experience and math skills (lacking on my part). Have a great week!

George

Comment

The panels (sails) are on a lever (post) and it's not how strong the post is, but how much leverage the sail exerts on the trailer,and if the trailer will roll over
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Ah, sails! I understand that one. I’ll keep an eye on the winds. I could even roll the pa els horizontal and reduce the wind forces in a wind event. Thanks Mike.

Comment

Working...
                      X