X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaded panels

It took 19 months to get my panel layout (my bad) upon viewing the production results I have 2 panels shaded by my chimney. I cried foul to the installer seeing they were 50% behind the other panels. I purchased this system and noticed the grossly underestimated panel production no doubt for CYA. They claim they planned it that way (BS) so I'm stuck with 2 underperforming panels?
    Starts
    06-11-2020
    Ends
    06-12-2020

Hello Pipefitter, welcome to Solar Panel Talk, cheers

Comment

Unless you have a guaranteed production agreement with them, there is not much you can hold them to. (except a dissatisfied review here on solarreviews.com)
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

What remedy do you want?

If you're hoping for money back, don't get your hopes up. They did sell you a product and install it, so from their perspective, they are entitled to full payment.

Do you have room on the roof to place those panels in a better location? If so, perhaps you can talk them into moving the panels to the better location for a small amount of money. They will have to buy new mounting and pay for labor, so it won't be free for them, but they might be willing to split the cost with you.

Does your system have something to deal with shading, like microinverters or optimizers? I'm guessing that the shading is only a problem at certain times of the day.

Wouldn't it be cool to have the first glass chimney in the neighborhood? That's not a serious idea, just a bad joke. Thick glass will block a lot of sun, too.
        7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

No guarantees in life. Another case of Caveat Emptor.

Being informed and a lot of due diligence in vendor selection might have helped.

As Solarix suggests, a production guarantee might help, but they're usually written to the vendor's advantage. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Who's the vendor ?

Comment

I see quite a lot of arrays out there that I scratch my head and wonder why they did it that way.
            Back when we did installs for a nationwide leasing company who did all their designs in house, I used to fight with them all the time over the lame arrangements their remote planners would come up with.
            BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

V3 in El Dorado CA

Comment

Working...
              X