Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi from So. California, home of So Calif Electric (SCE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from So. California, home of So Calif Electric (SCE)

Hello. Thanks for joining me in. I have learned so much already just on reading through prior posts. About to sign for a solar purchase project...lots of questions and concerns still to go...
    Sandy

I'd suggest you not sign anything until you've got enough information to disabuse yourself of all the B.S./hype that abounds, and that's more than reading through a bunch of posts.

What you don't know can hurt you.

Have you set goals for your project yet ? If it involves PV to offset a residential electrical load, have you determined what that load is, and just how much of that load you want to offset ?

If you're in the U.S, it's probably too late to get anything installed or started before the fed. tax credits drop to in 26 % anyway.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Comment

Hi J.P.M.-
      I just posted a description of project, could you pls review it and comment? I appreciate your input and thanks for replying here. You guys are a great help.
      All the b.s.? Every day there's a new piece of info that I question, and b.s. saturates everything. Once I have a piece of b.s. figured out, I realize there's another one in que. Would you mind taking a look at my post on the project? thanks, Sandy

Hi and thanks in advance to anyone who can pls provide any glaring concerns and answers to a few of my questions.

SolarEdge HD wave inverter single phase hybrid, each panel will have optimizer. Qcell 21 panels of Q.Peak Duo G5.2 390 72 cell, Dual cell
      8.19 kW system 19.9 efficiency
      $27,598 includes upgrading electric panel, re-stucco and paint
      $3.15 cents per kW
      14,000 kWh projected
      25 yrs labor and parts
      promised to extend 12 yrs warranty on inverter from 12 to 25 yrs on his dime, no extra cost and he will do the registering to get the extensions
      10 yrs roof leak warranty, using M1 sealant from Home Depot, using hooks, not cutting ties

Monitoring app to check solar efficiency, no cost supposedly, promised to come out within 72 hrs but won't write it in contract
      Home ins policy will need give endorsement

completely unshaded south facing roof--21 panels.

We have 10,115 KwH used in the last 12 mos.
      purchase, not lease.
      So. Calif Edison
      Roof is brand new in it's entirely completed 1.5 mos ago, light wt (cement or cement like??) tile about 8+ lbs each

We do not anticipate any major changes of persons added to household, no pool planned, etc. If I'm feeling stupid and want to dispense with a bunch of money I don't have, I might consider buying an EV but doubtful for now,
      Windows are updated with double pane, air conditioner is updated less than 10 yrs ago, attic and walls are insulated.
      Currently have 4 persons in hse, 2 of whom retired and here all day, t.v.s always on.

Electric panel to be updated, a spot meter was already completed by SCE and deemed to not needing to be relocated.

We are looking for a project contract to be completed asap so as to get the 30% tax credit, which can include the costs of the roof portion re-done for the solar, therefore the tax credit is anticipated to be much higher

Here are my questions:
      they are laying panels parallel to roof, not angling or taking measurements to optimize angle. As I walk around neighborhood and see quite a few solar panels on roofs, they are all parallel to the roofs. Is that an acceptable practice? why wouldn't the companies angle optimally? Our roof and in general the other roofs are "average" slopes, not flat, not steep, not sure how else to describe it, and I have no idea the slope of our roof.

I notice that on Qcells in general and the ones we would be purchasing, the temp coefficient is somewhat high -0.37. As I look at other systems/companies, there are plenty in the -0.26 or so range, yet cost of product and project is substantially higher. The company rep says when they gave us the numbers on degradation and efficieny 20 yrs out, he included the -0.37 coefficient. What bothers me, and this is where I would appreciate a comment, he and all the other reps that we have interviewed looked at me blank faced and asked "what's that?" and said that I'm the first to ask ever about a temp coefficient. I understand it, the reps never heard of it, including a Sunrun rep working the job for 10 yrs. Current rep of company says that panels work optimally up toward 110 deg out, like in Joshua Tree/Palm Spring only places where that comes in to play. Is that correct? How should I think of this? Is he just wrong?

Comments on price of project appreciated?
      He offered the 400 which just came in yesterday supposedly, which is 72 half-cell configuration raising efficiency slightly, but also raising price we pay, is it worth it?

One rep says current system currently uses 7.5 kW, another didn't state what he thinks we currently use but offered a 7.1 system for his project. How do we really figure this?

I have crude basic understanding of string vs micro vs optimizers. I have settled on string not being optimal, but would appreciate any comments on optimizers vs microinverters esp. with respect to this project. He touts them as far superior, I like them, but not sure further than a basic and possible incorrect understanding of their real benefits vs problems.

Company has outstanding reviews on Yelp, rep was thorough and we like this project.

Does anyone see any glaring concerns or pitfalls? Price of project fair enough? Any comments would be appreciated?

Goal is to save on future electric bills from SCE which is likely going to TOU for all residents, (hey, did you know SCE is privately owned???), contribute to environment, take advantage of tax credits for solar and roof projects now as opposed to wait for the future better equipment and technology

Without the roof credits, I probably wouldn't go with project, but with credits will likely make up net cost after abt 6 or so yrs

thanks,
      ​​​​​​​Sandy
      Last edited by SandyG; 11-26-2019, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyG View Post
        ......... (hey, did you know SCE is privately owned???),
        $3.15 per Watt seems high but maybe the tile roof is why. Did you get other bids? Cost and aesthetics are two reasons why most panels are mounted parallel to the roof.

SCE is an Investor Owned Utility. Its stock or its parent company's stock is traded on the stock exchange. Utilities owned by a city or governmental agency are often called Public Utilities. Public Utilities are not regulated by the California Public Utilites Commision. I can't explain the inconsistent nomenclature.
        Last edited by Ampster; 11-27-2019, 03:55 PM.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

See my post on your other thread.

Comment

Working...
          X