X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juanj5678
    • Nov 2019

Hello from Central Florida

Hi everyone,
    Finally on 11-11-19 I was given a PTO (permission to operate) my solar system.
    I have an 11.47 kW DC system
    Should generate about 93-94% of my electric use in the house.
    37 panels in total

Totally excited about my new system. I setup a spreadsheet to keep track of my daily totals. Ultimately I can compare month to month production and then eventually year to year production.
    Looking forward to learning from you all on this forum and sharing experiences.
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Congratulation on your system. I have heard that electric rates were so low in Florida that it was often not economic to implement solar.

What was your motivation to add solar, economic or otherwise?
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• juanj5678
      • Nov 2019

Thx for the congrats. Rates here at least in my area are provided by Duke Energy. Our hourly rate stays the same 24/7. Rates however are calculated for the 1st 1000 kWh and a higher rate after that. Down here Duke also charges a fuel charge which is similarly calculated at a certain rate for the 1st 1000 kWh and then a higher rate after that. They also charge an "ASSET SECURITIZATION CHARGE."

My motivation to get solar was initially an economic one. The more I learn the more I see that having solar will have a bigger impact overall on our lives.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Hello juanj5678 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

I live in the Brooksville area of Fl and have WREC as my POCO. I use to have Duke as my POCO. Unfortunately when I run the numbers I get about a 14 year payback which IMO is not a good financial decision to make for now.

Comment

• juanj5678
          • Nov 2019

Originally posted by SunEagle
          Hello juanj5678 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk

I live in the Brooksville area of Fl and have WREC as my POCO. I use to have Duke as my POCO. Unfortunately when I run the numbers I get about a 14 year payback which IMO is not a good financial decision to make for now.
          Hey SunEagle,
          Thx you for the welcome!
          I can see why you would not venture into a new system. For my household it made sense and will make a big difference.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by juanj5678

Hey SunEagle,
            Thx you for the welcome!
            I can see why you would not venture into a new system. For my household it made sense and will make a big difference.
            I wish you good luck with your pv system. I know it is the future for most home owners.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by juanj5678

I setup a spreadsheet to keep track of my daily totals. Ultimately I can compare month to month production and then eventually year to year production.
              Looking forward to learning from you all on this forum and sharing experiences.
              Welcome to the neighborhood.

I've been doing the same and more since 10/17/2013. Learned a lot. Found/confirmed that a lot of mfg. hype was just that. Details if you're interested.

If you're serious about tracking production you'll need onsite weather and irradiance data. Get a Davis Pro II Plus weather station and keep a record of array performance vs. irradiance and weather along with production. It'll set you back ~ $1K or so but it was and still is worth it to me.

Comment

Working...