X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from MA

Just getting into the world of solar and trying to research as much as possible. My main focuses are Emergency Management and Ham Radio.

To start, I'm looking for an introductory project, such as a phone/tablet charger, light for my shed, etc. I'd love to put something together form a kit so I can understand the interactions of the components, and also be able to upgrade the components as I go. The one drawback is I don't want to have to solder. My dog wearing mittens can solder better than I can.

Eventually I'd like to get to the point where I can outfit our house with emergency solar power and adjunct full time solar power.

Welcome. fortunately, most all of solar wiring involves bolted lugs, split nut connectors or wire into screw terminal. In fact, soldering is NOT recommended, because of wicking issues causing wires to break underneath good looking insulation.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I am a full time off-gridder, due to location, not out of choice. A propane powered electric generator is probably a better investment for emergency power than a large solar/battery install.

To run a home with solar. you may need more than 3,000 to 4,000 watts in solar panels with some sort of mounting system, then battery charge controllers, 1,500 to 2,000 pounds of lead acid batteries, power inverters, etc... (and you may still need a generator to help maintain those batteries). Some Online solar vendors offer solar kits of various sizes with itemized costs, you may want to search those to give you an idea of approximates costs to get into a solar powered system. I think these prices will change your mind on a solar solution for emergency backup power.

Comment

Let me clarify my original post -

The "kit" was not for a full, or even partial system. It was to learn theory, so something the size of a tablet charger, shed outdoor light, etc.

The emergency set up would be very limited. Just enough to run the refrigerator, sump pump, a couple lights and maybe a small space heater. I have a gas generator to do that now, but gas stations may not be up and running for an extended period. I was looking for a redundant option. I like the propane generator idea.

I would not embark on the full house solar option until I fully understand the solar theory, which I hope to gain more of through stages one and two described above.

Comment

Originally posted by 599ma View Post
          Let me clarify my original post -

The "kit" was not for a full, or even partial system. It was to learn theory, so something the size of a tablet charger, shed outdoor light, etc.

The emergency set up would be very limited. Just enough to run the refrigerator, sump pump, a couple lights and maybe a small space heater. I have a gas generator to do that now, but gas stations may not be up and running for an extended period. I was looking for a redundant option. I like the propane generator idea.

I would not embark on the full house solar option until I fully understand the solar theory, which I hope to gain more of through stages one and two described above.
          The sad thing is that to run a refrigerator, sump pump, small space heater and some lights will still cost you thousands if you go with a solar/battery system.

We can help you size that system but you first need to understand how many watt hours you will be burning to run your loads when the sun isn't shining.

Comment

Working...
          X