X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LosAngelesCali
    • Oct 2019

Greetings Los Angeles CA new member.

Greetings - I just installed my DIY solar system, it is a 5.8 kw with 18 320w Jinko moduals (72 cell) and Enphase IQ7 microinverters, flat roof with fixed tilt mount.

It took me about 6 days complete and I did everything, from carrying the 50 lb mods to the roof, installed all the racking system, inverters, Enphase combiner box, AC disc., all wiring and back feed breaker in existing 200A main panel including programing the envoy and start up.

I am ready to call in for inspection by tomorrow.

I ran the system for a day and a half and the enphase enlighten web site is spiting out good numbers.

I will keep you all posted.

BTW - my back ground is 40 years as a contractor with multiple licenses. Always a zest for getting outside my comfort zone. Stopped work earlier this year and thinking about retiring in a year. I was a Sr PM for a major international EPC building large scale (20 to 110 MWAC) utility sized solar plants in California and Arizona.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LosAngelesCali
    Greetings - I just installed my DIY solar system, it is a 5.8 kw with 18 320w Jinko moduals (72 cell) and Enphase IQ7 microinverters, flat roof with fixed tilt mount.

It took me about 6 days complete and I did everything, from carrying the 50 lb mods to the roof, installed all the racking system, inverters, Enphase combiner box, AC disc., all wiring and back feed breaker in existing 200A main panel including programing the envoy and start up.

I am ready to call in for inspection by tomorrow.

I ran the system for a day and a half and the enphase enlighten web site is spiting out good numbers.

I will keep you all posted.

BTW - my back ground is 40 years as a contractor with multiple licenses. Always a zest for getting outside my comfort zone. Stopped work earlier this year and thinking about retiring in a year. I was a Sr PM for a major international EPC building large scale (20 to 110 MWAC) utility sized solar plants in California and Arizona.
    Welcome to the neighborhood. Where in AZ/CA are the plants located ? I may have seen/visited one/two of them.

Comment

• LosAngelesCali
      • Oct 2019

Hi JPM, a few: 110 MW Bakersfield, CA Hwy 58 & Townerline Ave. 28 MW Barstow Hwy 58 & Community Blvd., 42 MW & 65 MW Lost Hills, CA Hwy 46 near Blackwells Corner (ie James Dean), 70 MW & near by 50 MW Alpaugh CA Ave 56, 78 MW Blyth CA, off 10 near 177.

but with all this being said the greatest satisfaction is my 5.8 kw DIY on the house that my parents purchased in 1962 and I was raised in!
      Don and solar system 3 low res.jpg

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

LA Cali:

Thank you. Been past the Bakersfield and Barstow sites on 58 1x or 2X, and the Blythe site a few times. Also the big farms off I-10 @ Desert Center. I also drive north out of Baker 1X/awhile and look at the vast areas not far from the big power lines that follow I-40 and wonder.

You ever work with/for or hear of an outfit called NRG ?

I had some informal input with respect to a good friend/neighbor who was the on site County AHJ for the Borrego Springs farms in San Diego Co. I was designing a home for myself to be on a site a couple of miles from the farm and we'd often ride together from 92026 where we lived to the job sites. I unofficially looked at the structural stuff at the farm and commented to him about stuff I saw while we commuted back/forth. He suggested things about my solar magnum opus that the county would/might like better than I was proposing.

I appreciate your comments about the satisfaction of the smaller array.

BTW, NOMB/concern, but that row pitch in the photo looks a bit tight ?

Also looks like you could use a beer, a hot tub and a few women about the time the flick was snapped. Just sayin'.

Comment

• brymeow
          • Jun 2020

Originally posted by LosAngelesCali
          Hi JPM, a few: 110 MW Bakersfield, CA Hwy 58 & Townerline Ave. 28 MW Barstow Hwy 58 & Community Blvd., 42 MW & 65 MW Lost Hills, CA Hwy 46 near Blackwells Corner (ie James Dean), 70 MW & near by 50 MW Alpaugh CA Ave 56, 78 MW Blyth CA, off 10 near 177.

but with all this being said the greatest satisfaction is my 5.8 kw DIY on the house that my parents purchased in 1962 and I was raised in!
          Don and solar system 3 low res.jpg

Hi, i'm planning to install solar panels on my garage top flat room (re-roofing with 1-2 degree pitch, hot mop/torch down roof). What kinda mount did your solar company use? Were you worried about potential leak?

Comment

Working...