X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jflorey2
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Salts
    I would think the cell towers have backup systems in place.
    They do. But they typically last ~8 hours or so.

When all those people start buying generators, they're going to be very unhappy when it fails to run after sitting in storage for 6 months or a year because of the ethanol.
    Yep.

Normally I recommend generators for people who are planning for disasters, specifically propane generators to avoid the fuel-stability problem. But the PG+E (and SDG+E) problems may change the calculus on that. Often when power goes out in Eastern states it's due to weather - storms, very high tides, ice etc. And during those times often you don't have sun and you don't know when the power is coming back, making solar+storage systems questionable. And often you get little warning, or the wrong warnings.

But in California, we are now seeing utilities shut down sections of the grid during some of the sunniest times of year, and there is generally a few days of warning as well as an estimate for how long it will be out. All those things favor solar+storage as backup. And this will just get worse. After the Paradise fire and resulting bankruptcy of PG+E, no utility is going to want to roll the dice on retaining power on high risk days in high risk areas. And as the climate warms, we will have more and more high risk days. Thus, any investment in battery storage is going to have more certainty behind it than a large generator purchase.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jflorey2
      They do. But they typically last ~8 hours or so.

Yep.

Normally I recommend generators for people who are planning for disasters, specifically propane generators to avoid the fuel-stability problem. But the PG+E (and SDG+E) problems may change the calculus on that. Often when power goes out in Eastern states it's due to weather - storms, very high tides, ice etc. And during those times often you don't have sun and you don't know when the power is coming back, making solar+storage systems questionable. And often you get little warning, or the wrong warnings.

But in California, we are now seeing utilities shut down sections of the grid during some of the sunniest times of year, and there is generally a few days of warning as well as an estimate for how long it will be out. All those things favor solar+storage as backup. And this will just get worse. After the Paradise fire and resulting bankruptcy of PG+E, no utility is going to want to roll the dice on retaining power on high risk days in high risk areas. And as the climate warms, we will have more and more high risk days. Thus, any investment in battery storage is going to have more certainty behind it than a large generator purchase.
      I agree that batteries and solar may start to make financial sense in CA if the POCO's plan on daylight outages.

Comment

• BoloMKXXVIII
        • Jun 2018

I just hope everyone keeps calm, slows down, and stays safe.

Comment

• BoloMKXXVIII
          • Jun 2018

Portions of 34 Counties Will be Impacted by Widespread, Severe Wind Event Beginning Wednesday New Counties Added Since Monday: Marin, Humboldt, Trinity and Kern As a precautionary measure to reduce wildfire risk during the forecasted severe wind event, Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PGE) confirmed that it will implement a Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) in portions of 34 northern, central and coastal counties, affecting electric service for nearly 800,000 customers. PGE expects to begin turning off power in some areas early Wednesday, just after midnight. The power will be turned off to communities in stages, depending on local timing of the severe wind conditions, beginning with counties in the northern part of the state. “The safety of our customers and the communities we serve is our most important responsibility, which is why PGE has decided to turn power off to customers during this widespread, severe wind event. We understand the effects this event will have

Straight from the horses'...mouth.

Comment

• solardreamer
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2015

Although this is not exactly the type of outage scenarios I was planning for, I am glad to have a natural gas portable generator so I don't have to worry about engine gum up or running out of fuel.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
              I just got a news flash that about 500,000 people were without power in northern CA. I hope people stay safe. I also wonder how true the news flash was.
              it was underreported, more like 600,000 last I heard. Most of the internet is now down, only cell and sat connectivity, all the cable TV and fiber repeaters on telephone poles have burned through their 5 hour backup battery.
              Thursday afternoon/evening, the winds are expected to die down, and after inspecting all the lines, the power should start coming back on Saturday.

Think of the chaos caused by a hurricane warning, grocery stored emptied out, gas stations pumped dry, batteries and candles sold out. Add the din of small generators everywhere, folks breathing the CO and dying, and small fires from refueling hot generators. And most areas, did not have the predicted high winds.

The Mendocino Voice, Ukiah, California. 19,536 likes · 479 talking about this · 15 were here. We are The Mendocino Voice: independent, local, and useful news for all of Mendocino County

&

UPDATE 10-9-2019 11:15 p.m. -- PG&E has just released a new press release, but without any significant information — and no new maps. In this second phase of power shut-offs the utility company has provided little to no information to the general public of press about timing or location. It is unclear to what extent they have warned individual customers, but anecdotal evidence points to little. It does appear now that these new outages have begun, and are hitting parts of Berkeley, the Oakland hills and Santa Cruz County, though the County of Alameda said that power would go out there at midnight.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• BoloMKXXVIII
                • Jun 2018

At least many of us in Florida who have dealt with hurricanes know how to handle being without power for extended periods. Many of our gas stations and grocery stores have their own generators. I doubt that is the case in California.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mike90250

it was underreported, more like 600,000 last I heard. Most of the internet is now down, only cell and sat connectivity, all the cable TV and fiber repeaters on telephone poles have burned through their 5 hour backup battery.
                  Thursday afternoon/evening, the winds are expected to die down, and after inspecting all the lines, the power should start coming back on Saturday.

Think of the chaos caused by a hurricane warning, grocery stored emptied out, gas stations pumped dry, batteries and candles sold out. Add the din of small generators everywhere, folks breathing the CO and dying, and small fires from refueling hot generators. And most areas, did not have the predicted high winds.

UPDATE 10-9-2019 11:15 p.m. -- PG&E has just released a new press release, but without any significant information — and no new maps. In this second phase of power shut-offs the utility company has provided little to no information to the general public of press about timing or location. It is unclear to what extent they have warned individual customers, but anecdotal evidence points to little. It does appear now that these new outages have begun, and are hitting parts of Berkeley, the Oakland hills and Santa Cruz County, though the County of Alameda said that power would go out there at midnight.
                  Mike: Be safe. Keeping you in mind.

J.P.M.
                  Last edited by Mike90250; 10-10-2019, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

I live in Sonoma and we have been without power for 18 hours but people are remaing calm. There were lines at gas stations the night before. Dry ice supplies are sold out but some markets are open I presume because they have generators for their freezers, lights and cash registers. Ten miles to the west, Petaluma has power and internet. It is a good day to watch my home made wine ferment. Clear skies and the wind is dying down.
                    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...