X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skates
    • Jun 2019

Couldn't agree more about the thing everyone has, seems here some have more than one!! Keep up the good work!!

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by skates
      Couldn't agree more about the thing everyone has, seems here some have more than one!! Keep up the good work!!
      My wife has two.

Comment

• onesmallonebig
        • May 2019

Originally posted by J.P.M.

My wife has two.
        lol might you be one? My Ex had two too.
        Anyway, I'm back for a three month later update...
        I guess God takes care of fools and drunks. Of which I am both occasionally, but I'm also an devoted Atheist.
        My house hasn't "burned down by a catastrophic fire" that my Frank Sinatra ignorance was sure to cause. My free 30 year old battery cables didn't melt. My "completely wrong batteries that wont last 6 months" are hitting 14.4v on the small system and 42.6v on the big system by 10am every sunny day. Each bank of my 7p1s and 4p3s (is that backwards? You get the point if it is) of my cheap Walmart batts never gets below Nominal voltages and made it 6 months, so far. To be completely honest, I don't even go out there anymore. I used to tilt the array several times a day to follow the sun precisely, but i got busy and forgot for a few days and nothing was different, so I stopped bothering to tilt them at all. I've left them locked in the noon position for the last two months. I even stopped bothering to clean the panels once a week. I literally haven't even been near the system in over a month. They do there thing without me. Wasn't that the goal?
        I went out today and diligently washed them and tilted them just a smidgen so this picture would look purdy for you guys. Used a whole damn roll of paper towels and a whole damn bottle of Windex. I'll wash them again over Christmas... probably, if I'm not to busy getting drunk, like a gud Amerikan is supposed to do on all holidays.
        I wired my work shop to run completely off of the small (12v, 350w) system 24/7 and the big (36v, 1860w. I guess technically its a 72v, 930w system now since I hooked up two panels in series into 3 parallel sets of 72v thanks to you guys, but 1860w was the original size and sounds better, and the inverter is still 36v to 110v) system runs the whole house 24/7. Still haven't figured out how to use the 36v to 220v inverter on my oven and dryer. I gave up, screw it.
        I do need to buy a bigger inverter someday, 1000/2000w on both systems, cause sometime when the fridge kicks on and the swamp cooler is already on, the damn TV shuts off. A minor inconvenience.
        Now the important part...
        My last three Edison power bills were $24, $15, and only $16 this month (more proof available upon request and a small fee). And the bills haven't been above $50 since I started this little project 6 months ago. That's with the A/C, fridge, TV, etc running virtually 24/7 on solar. Edison's add on fees are about $10 a month even if I use zero of their electricity. My ceiling lights, microwave, oven and dryer are still solely on the grid and staying that way. Hence the minimal monthly Edison bill. But everything else is off the grid now, even my 110v Jacuzzi. My new fireplace is ready to go again this winter... only the occasional electric heater will be used on solar power when my nipples get hard and im too lazy to smoke up the place. I figure I've saved about a grand of my booze and gambling money in the last 6 months. Another year or so and my $3000 total solar system investment will be completely recouped. If I live that long.
        End of update.
        James
        Attached Files
        Last edited by onesmallonebig; 10-03-2019, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• onesmallonebig
          • May 2019

Originally posted by skates
          I dont know how good it is, but I'm workin hard at doing it. And having fun.

Comment

• BruceNewEngland
            • Nov 2019

Hey James, congrats on your success, and thanks for the update. I’m in the early stages of learning, and appreciate it when folks take the time to share their experiences.

Mike suggested a wood stove. I started out with a fireplace, and learned that it wasn’t a good fit for me in the chilly North East: all that air going up the chimney had to be replaced by air, cold air, drawn in through many small paths. A few years ago I added a wood stove that was discounted for being a demo unit. It radiates tons of heat and has been great!

Have you read up on lead acid batteries, and what they require for service when used in a solar system as you describe? I’m coming to terms with the fact that I’m going to have to use higher maintenance lead acid batteries for my project, can’t afford a big bank of lithium’s.

How is your wiring holding up?
            Bruce.

Comment

Working...