X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flowing
    • Feb 2019

NJ newbie here! Saying hello!

Hi guys, just started to research solar.... I dont want a roof based system. I would love some-kind of driveway cover/port. Anyone have experience or options for that. Currently drive two EVs and use lots of electricity which is the reason for looking into solar.

Thanks!
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Start by figuring KWHs needed for your use. Check that the power company does net metering.
    Then figure array size for your area. A car port sounds small. Bruce Roe

Comment

• flowing
      • Feb 2019

Thanks! Yes power company does net metering. I don't think I could ever produce what I use in my location. But I would be happy to help a bit.

Peace

Comment

• JSchnee21
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2017

Welcome flowing !

There are at least two of us here from NJ. macaddict and myself. I live in Central NJ and have a 12.2kW (DC) roof mounted system. Currently have a Prius as my daily driver, but am considering an EV when it finally dies (Fully Autonomous (Level 5) Tesla 3? -- one day).

Unfortunately, given shade, roof pitch, and other factors, my PV array only covers about 85% of my current annual usage. So while I originally had dreams of running my future EV directly from the sun, my roof wasn't big enough (37 panels) to make that happen. Perhaps one day when i replace my air conditioner and trim my trees, I'll get close to 100%.

How much do you know about grid connected solar power and NJ SREC's? Definitely pickup a copy of "Solar Power Your Home For Dummies" and setup an account on EnerySage dot com if you are just getting starting. I can also recommend a reputable installer in NJ as well, if you are interested.

The main issue(s) you're going to have with a carport / pergola style system are:

1) insufficient surface are -- too few panels
        2) sub-optimal pitch -- too flat
        3) architectural concerns -- the canopy will need to be pretty sturdy and anchored well to the ground to manage the snow and wind loads.

But, I guess if you have a big enough driveway it could work. Which EV's do you have? How many kWh do you use daily, annually. To charge, total?

In 2018, my array generated 11.81 MWh and I consumed 13.93 MWh. But this could have been a lot better if I cut back my trees and if my roof had a better pitch (only 20% incline). Consumption was also a little higher than normal as I had to get a dehumidifier with all the rain last summer.

SREC's in NJ have been holding up well (above $200 per MWh) for the past few years. Of course there's no future guarantee. Be sure to act fast (this year) to get the full Federal tax credit of 30%.

news.energysage.com/congress-extends-the-solar-tax-credit/

Recently I've seen some prices on this board than seem too good to be true (~$2/W turnkey). Realistically, I expect you'll be close to at least $2.50 if not $3.00/W (DC) in NJ. My system was installed in 2017 and was closer to $3.25/W (DC). That is to say, for example, a 10,000 (10kW) system will be $25,000 to $30,000.

Energy rates are pretty cheap in NJ, I pay ~$0.139 / kWh total (generation and transmission) through JCPL 24x7x365, so you won't save a whole lot of money there. Between my solar offset and SREC's I make/save about $4000 to$5000 per year. So it will take 7 or 8 years to break even.

Definitely buy, do not lease or PPA. I prefer SolarEdge Inverters, but some here also like the newer Enphase Microinverter equipment. Given the rapid shutdown requirement, generic string inverters are pretty rare in NJ for new residential applications.

There are a wide variety of good panels these days. It largely depends on what brand / country of origin you are comfortable with, and the aesthetics of the cells, backsheet, and frame. Several good Chinese brands (Trina, Jinko, Hanwha) are available for $0.50 to $0.75 / W (panel only), where as Korean (LG) and Japanese(Panasonic) brands will cost you more ($0.75 to $1.25 / W) with SunPower being the most expensive ($1.30 to $1.50 / W). All of which, for the most part, work about the same (kWh produced per kW installed). Some look nicer, some have better warranties (not that panels usually fail) and some take up less square feet per Watt (aka are more efficient).

Good luck!
        Jonathan
        Last edited by JSchnee21; 02-13-2019, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• flowing
          • Feb 2019

Hey @JSchnee21 ! Thanks for the awesome response. Yes I think I have to get those guides/books. I can see there's a huge learning curve.

My Usage:
          Cloud based electricity monitoring service providing free basic service with optional premium features.

We average 2000kWh per month. There's no way we could offset that with my roof. Plus I dont want roof mounted. I want to cover a large chunk on my driveway with a structure that will support the panels.

We own two Teslas. MS 85D and the M3 dualmotor. My wife can offset some charging at work. Depending on my week I can usually get a couple of supercharger sessions at while at lunch.

I have two companies coming-by this Friday to give me some estimates. Lets see how they behave. I really dont like pressure sales tactics. I dont have the patience for them.

I too have jcp&l.

Please send over the installer info. I will need it. What town are you in? Warren here.

Thanks again.

Comment

• macaddict
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2017

Thanks JSchnee21 it has been a while, we should catch up!

flowing I would start figuring out what is your yearly usage by looking at your last 12 monthly bills.

I have a 8.9 kW system that generated 11.285 MWh in 2018. My usage was only 8.171 MWh but starting in 2019, my usage will be almost identical to my expected production (I bought an EV which is adding an additional 250 kWh per month).

You can see my production & consumption data here:
            ​​​​​​​https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404 (you can see the EV charging in those consumption spikes starting 02-Jan-19)

I have also heard that 2019 is the last year to be grandfathered into the current SREC market (~$200/SREC/MWh produced) as the BPU is looking to change the solar incentives soon. If you want to geek out, listen to this round-table to understand the direction of where the state incentives are going:

https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

Comment

• flowing
              • Feb 2019

Tried responding... The message became unapproved. Maybe due to a URL not sure how to retrieve it.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Originally posted by flowing
                Tried responding... The message became unapproved. Maybe due to a URL not sure how to retrieve it.
                Unapproved messages are invisibly held till a moderator releases them. I don't see any in this thread.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• JSchnee21
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2017

Thanks flowing

I'll follow up more later, but the vendor that macaddic and I used was Green Power Energy (GPE)
                  greenpowerenergy.com

I highly recommend them.

Wow, 24 MWh per year is a lot to try and offset. But GPE is potentially a great partner. The do a lot of commercial work and are used to planning and deploying larger systems.

You're looking at roughly 15kW to 20kW DC depending on your location, orientation(s), pitch, etc. So that's roughly 40 to 60 panels which will take up a lot of space. Any chance of a ground mount -- this would let you optimize orientation and pitch if you have a large enough plot of land.

I'm in Monroe Township, Middlesex, NJ.

My system is also in PVOutput
                  pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=58372
                  Last edited by JSchnee21; 02-14-2019, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• flowing
                    • Feb 2019

I see the message actually made it in.

Yes we consume at lot electricity. I dont see us getting close to that offset.

GPE is actually passing-by tomorrow for an estimate! Lets see what they say. I would love to cover my driveway which is long. Lets see what options they provide.

Thanks again!

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Hi guys, just started to research solar.... I dont want a roof based system. I would love some-kind of driveway cover/port. Anyone have experience or options for that. Currently drive two EVs and use lots of electricity which is the reason for looking into solar.

Thanks!
                      You probably don't know it yet but horizontal panel orientation in NJ or most other northern locations isn't really practical - less so in a patio/driveway cover scenarion. Also, what you have for a concept is going to cost more than you may thin k - by a lot. You'll have lower production as well as difficult but necessary snow removal in that orientation. The panels will also act as dirt pans further decreasing production. Any structure over a driveway be most likely require a fair amount of engineering to pass wind design and other criteria as will most likely be required by local building codes.

Look before you leap. You have the "you could just do this" syndrome. You need an education.

Comment

• flowing
                        • Feb 2019

@J.P.M. This is the exact reason why I joined this place and I'm getting some estimates. I'm not looking for laying flat panels. I'm looking for cantilever structure like the ones in industrial parking lots. I have enough room to place them and orient them at the correct angle facing south. It will be all about cost. How I can get the structure built.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

@J.P.M. This is the exact reason why I joined this place and I'm getting some estimates. I'm not looking for laying flat panels. I'm looking for cantilever structure like the ones in industrial parking lots. I have enough room to place them and orient them at the correct angle facing south. It will be all about cost. How I can get the structure built.
                          NOMB or concern, but it's a lot more than about price. After all the impracticalities you'll be learning about, my guess is you may also be in for some sticker shock as well.

In any case, good luck.

Comment

• bcroe
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2012

I'm not looking for laying flat panels. I'm looking for cantilever structure like the ones in industrial parking lots. I have enough room to place them and orient them at the correct angle facing south. It will be all about cost. How I can get the structure built.
                            The optimum setup for you will depend a lot on how much cloudy weather and snow you experience.
                            Things like multiple orientations and summer/winter tilt changes work under clouds here at 42 Lat.
                            Bruce Roe

Comment

• flowing
                              • Feb 2019

I just had the first company come by GPE. Really nice guy. Dude came in on a murdered-out Dodge Challenger.... not what I was expecting for a solar guy .
                              Really good guy. He did his sales thing and estimated 52 panels all roof mounted. I have another estimate later today. He said there's no point to build a structure. It will just add cost.

Comment

Working...