X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donj51
    • Oct 2018

New Array in North Iowa

Good morning from Iowa. A couple months ago, my grid tied, SolarEdge inverter array was finally completed and I was given authorization to operate.

I have to to say I should have done more homework and not relying on social media with my installation contractor.

One of my projects I want to do is have my local server log my array events.

I look foward to reading and catching up.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by donj51
    I have to to say I should have done more homework and not relying on social media with my installation contractor.
    Yea, kind of a non vetted source huh ? Think about it. Why would it make any sense to rely on anonymous opinions from people who, in all likelihood, don't know as much about the subject as you do, and may very likely, or at least unverifiably, have some ulterior motive from having skin in the game, or being the otherwise unemployable relative of some solar peddler ?

Most folks who have a residential PV array know as much about what they own or the quality of the installation as I know about macram

Comment

• JSchnee21
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2017

Hi donj51,

Welcome. Feel free to hack up your own logging and API solution. BUT, certainly be aware of the tools that are available for free or nearly free. Obviously there is the SE Web Portal. Get your installed to set you up with full Admin rights. A wealth of data -- including panel level voltage, current, etc. are all logged there for free.

Most of us also use PVOutput to log and graph our array level production and consumption data versus weather, etc. For a small donation (I have no affiliation) you get full access to a wealth of tools and logging capabilities. PVOutput pulls directly from the Solar Edge web servers via API.

Finally, be sure to hookup your inverter via Ethernet. You'll get more detailed data with a faster refresh rate, too.

Good luck,
      Jonathan

Comment

• sdold
        • Jun 2014

matsonaustin, no more posting links please unless they are relevant to the discussion, thanks.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

I've banned matsonaustin for a month, for posting way too many self serving ad links. While he'd been adding to discussions, the spam has to stop. The posts can be restored, if someone wants to bother, but it's easy to soft delete them all, then to clean each one up, and on to the next and the next and the next......

So shout out to you folks with an agenda to stir up your own business - don't.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• donj51
            • Oct 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Yea, kind of a non vetted source huh ? Think about it. Why would it make any sense to rely on anonymous opinions from people who, in all likelihood, don't know as much about the subject as you do, and may very likely, or at least unverifiably, have some ulterior motive from having skin in the game, or being the otherwise unemployable relative of some solar peddler ?

Most folks who have a residential PV array know as much about what they own or the quality of the installation as I know about macram
            The contractor has been doing solar for 10 years. The issue was that they subcontract their installation to different companies. This wasn't found until the day of installation. The contractor made "it" right, but the pain of installation errors and the resulting down-time doesn't help the contractors reputation.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by donj51

The contractor has been doing solar for 10 years. The issue was that they subcontract their installation to different companies. This wasn't found until the day of installation. The contractor made "it" right, but the pain of installation errors and the resulting down-time doesn't help the contractors reputation.
              That may well be. I was not referring to your particular installation and so perhaps a bit a little off topic, but rather agreeing with what seemed your statement about the (non)sense of relying on anything seen on social media or such crap as unvetted reviews.

Comment

Working...