X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AllenSco
    • Oct 2018

New member in Alabama

Hello folks! My name is Allen. I just joined up after browsing over the last couple of days. Nice to meet all of you!

A little about me.....I'm just over a year into my solar experiment. I say experiment as that's how it started. I started out with a small 200 watt WindyNation system to learn about solar. It's worked great as I had it hooked up to run a few powertools, lights and a fan in the storage shed/workshop...BUT I got the solar bug and immediately wanted to upgrade. So, a couple months ago, I upgraded. Got two more 100 watt panels and another battery. I use my upgraded 400 watt/200 amp hour system to power the same storage shed/workshop. The system is made up of 4 x 100 watt poly panels, a Victron 100/50 MPPT charge controller, two 100 amp hour AGM batteries and a 1500 watt modified sine inverter. It's not much but it keeps the lights and fans on while I'm working inside and lets me run any powertools I may need. It also charges the batteries for my cordless tools. All of this system came from WindyNation except for the Victron charge controller. I really like that Victron, it's nice Love the Bluetooth connectivity.

You are probably thinking the Victron 100/50 is a bit of overkill for a small system and you're right. A 30 amp model would've worked just fine...BUT I may expand later and add another panel so I got the bigger one...just in case.

The mount is one I built using ideas picked up online. It's fixed facing south but is able to tilt to get the most power it can. The pictures are of the mount, panels and two screenshots of the Victron Connect app showing the power coming in around 2:17 PM CDT and the accumulated totals for the last few days. I put the Victron in operation on Oct. 6, 2018.

I also have two smaller 50 watt mono panels I picked up from a local guy. I'll be using those to charge the small battery bank that powers my amateur radios. I already have two of the PWM charge controllers from WindyNation and all the wiring, connections and fuses. All that's left is to build a small mount for the panels and wire everything up.

All in all, it's not much, but for what what I do with it, it's perfect

Enjoying my solar and the forums!
    Allen
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AllenSco; 10-22-2018, 09:17 PM.
  • sdold
    • Jun 2014

Hi Allen, thanks for joining and welcome. That looks like a nice installation and a fun project, and a kW and a half for a day's not too shabby.

Steve

Comment

• AllenSco
      • Oct 2018

Originally posted by sdold
      Hi Allen, thanks for joining and welcome. That looks like a nice installation and a fun project, and a kW and a half for a day's not too shabby.

Steve
      Thanks Steve! I was surprised at that too (the kW and a half). At the end of the day, it was 1.5kWh. I had loaded the system down with several things for a few hours that day to draw the battery down a bit...and to see what it would do.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

I was wondering where the fuses are for 4 parallel wired panels? It looks like you just used MC4 connectors to parallel them but I do not see any fuses.

I think it is a nice experiment but please make sure your have installed the required protection devices and wire big enough to handle the amps from those panels.

Comment

• AllenSco
          • Oct 2018

Originally posted by SunEagle
          I was wondering where the fuses are for 4 parallel wired panels? It looks like you just used MC4 connectors to parallel them but I do not see any fuses.

I think it is a nice experiment but please make sure your have installed the required protection devices and wire big enough to handle the amps from those panels.
          No fuses on individual panels. I have a 40amp circuit breaker inside the shed on the PV lines going to the Victron and another one on the line between the battery and the Victron. There is a 150amp breaker between the inverter and battery. Wire is 10AWG, plenty big enough for what it's pushing. I may add a combiner box later with a single fuse for each panel.

You are correct though, it would be better with a fuse on each panel before the breaker at the Victron.
          Last edited by AllenSco; 10-23-2018, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by AllenSco

No fuses on individual panels. I have a 40amp circuit breaker inside the shed on the PV lines going to the Victron and another one on the line between the battery and the Victron. There is a 150amp breaker between the inverter and battery. Wire is 10AWG, plenty big enough for what it's pushing. I may add a combiner box later with a single fuse for each panel.

You are correct though, it would be better with a fuse on each panel before the breaker at the Victron.
            They make an "in line" fuse that connects to the MC4 connectors. It is not the best way to protect each panel but it is a little cheaper then building a combiner box with over-current fuse protection like I did.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• AllenSco
              • Oct 2018

They make an "in line" fuse that connects to the MC4 connectors. It is not the best way to protect each panel but it is a little cheaper then building a combiner box with over-current fuse protection like I did.
              Hello again SE,

Yes, I've seen those. A friend of mine has used them and they've given him issues with the fuse rattling around inside the fuse holder and not making good contact. The combiner box would be the way to go, even if it is a bit more $$. Eco-Worthy makes one for a four panel setup. It has MC4 connectors built onto it and is fused. Last price I saw on Amazon was $130.00.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Hello again SE,

Yes, I've seen those. A friend of mine has used them and they've given him issues with the fuse rattling around inside the fuse holder and not making good contact. The combiner box would be the way to go, even if it is a bit more $$. Eco-Worthy makes one for a four panel setup. It has MC4 connectors built onto it and is fused. Last price I saw on Amazon was $130.00.
                That $130 is a little more than I spent but I got all the parts (box, terminal block, fuse holders, fuses, cables with MC4 connectors) from different sources across eBay, Amazon & the Big Orange Box store a few years ago.

If the Eco-Worthy box does not include fuses make sure you get the right type and amp size that match up to the Short Circuit rating for your panels.

Comment

• AllenSco
                  • Oct 2018

That $130 is a little more than I spent but I got all the parts (box, terminal block, fuse holders, fuses, cables with MC4 connectors) from different sources across eBay, Amazon & the Big Orange Box store a few years ago.

If the Eco-Worthy box does not include fuses make sure you get the right type and amp size that match up to the Short Circuit rating for your panels.
                  I believe the Eco-Worthy box includes all the fuses. They are 10amp fuses, one for each panel. I'm looking at it...but since this is an "occasional use system", I'm getting what I can when the budget allows.

The system gets very limited use during the week as I work every day (police dispatch supervisor). I'm off on most weekends and like to mess around in the shed so having lights, a fan and the occasional power tool is nice I run a few 12v LED lights at night (not every night) to light up the area around the shed.

I do want to change the modified sine inverter to a pure sine unit and will do that as the budget allows. That fan doesn't like the modified wave. It's a bit more noisy and I know it's not good for the motor. Also, if I want to run something more sensitive, it won't complain about the dirty power it's being fed.

All in good time!

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

I believe the Eco-Worthy box includes all the fuses. They are 10amp fuses, one for each panel. I'm looking at it...but since this is an "occasional use system", I'm getting what I can when the budget allows.

The system gets very limited use during the week as I work every day (police dispatch supervisor). I'm off on most weekends and like to mess around in the shed so having lights, a fan and the occasional power tool is nice I run a few 12v LED lights at night (not every night) to light up the area around the shed.

I do want to change the modified sine inverter to a pure sine unit and will do that as the budget allows. That fan doesn't like the modified wave. It's a bit more noisy and I know it's not good for the motor. Also, if I want to run something more sensitive, it won't complain about the dirty power it's being fed.

All in good time!
                    Sounds like you have a plan.

I purchased a Xantrex 600watt Prowatt PSW inverter a few years ago which seems to work very well on my various loads although it was a little pricey at $175. There are other inverter choices that may fit your budget better.

The entire system looks very nice. Enjoy it.

Comment

• AllenSco
                      • Oct 2018

Sounds like you have a plan.

I purchased a Xantrex 600watt Prowatt PSW inverter a few years ago which seems to work very well on my various loads although it was a little pricey at $175. There are other inverter choices that may fit your budget better.

The entire system looks very nice. Enjoy it.
                      Thank you sir!

Also, after browsing through more of the forum, there are many knowledgeable folks here!

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Thank you sir!

Also, after browsing through more of the forum, there are many knowledgeable folks here!
                        You are welcome. Hang around because there are many more members that are smarter than I am and you will learn a lot about solar technology from them.

Comment

• AllenSco
                          • Oct 2018

Just to let you know, I ordered a Xantrex Prowatt pure sine inverter and it should be here early next week. I picked up the 1000 watt model. After my rewards points, I got for $175 Pretty good eh?

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Just to let you know, I ordered a Xantrex Prowatt pure sine inverter and it should be here early next week. I picked up the 1000 watt model. After my rewards points, I got for $175 Pretty good eh?
                            Yes. I paid about $175 for the 600 watt version of that inverter.

Comment

• jangr
                              • Nov 2018

Hello,

Joined today. I'm interested in feedback for 48V off-grid mobile marine application that I'm working on. Unfortunately I don't see any controls to create a new post with details. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Jack

Comment

Working...