X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExtraordiNary
    • Sep 2018

Safety Risks

Two questions:
    1)accidently ungrounding the grounded conductor causes what hazard?

2)what are the dangers of a Ridgid and cracked conductor?
  • sdold
    • Jun 2014

I'm not sure I understand. Are you giving us a quiz, or asking for answers to help you with a test?

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ExtraordiNary
      1)accidently ungrounding the grounded conductor causes what hazard?
      Breakers and fuses will not operate if needed.

2)what are the dangers of a Ridgid and cracked conductor?
      Burned wire and fire.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• ExtraordiNary
        • Sep 2018

Sorry that I haven't clarified. I am trying to pass the NABCEP Professional exam as it is now required for our local utility. I failed the first time missing it by two questions so I am getting feedback on questions I remembered. The feedback has been great and varied which shows why the test is so hard. Thanks,

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

The test is not hard. Anyone with a couple of years of electrical experience can pass it. Try a PE exam, now that is hard and takes 10 years education and experience to qualify before you can even take the test.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• ExtraordiNary
            • Sep 2018

You are absolutely right. I have just been installing and not doing AC work which technically we are not suppose to. So I think that's where I struggle most. Like this question what conductors are between the utility and the service point of connection. I have no clue

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
              The test is not hard. Anyone with a couple of years of electrical experience can pass it. Try a PE exam, now that is hard and takes 10 years education and experience to qualify before you can even take the test.
              That was a total of 12 years when I took it, 8 of which could be offset by a qualified degree and passing the fundamentals exam. Beyond the next 4 yrs. of being in responsible charge of engineering work was the almost as big a PITA of describing what that responsible charge consisted of and then getting a bunch of P.E's familiar with what you did to verify you weren't B.S.ing the qualifying board. Then, after all that, and only then, do you get to take another exam. Most folks I know who carried licensure wouldn't have it any other way. One acquaintance muttered, not entirely tongue in cheek, that if you can get through all the B.S. of successfully qualifying for the 2d part, they ought to give you the damn license.

It ain't supposed to be easy. If it was, design engineering would be done like software programming with the result that the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.

Comment

• ExtraordiNary
                • Sep 2018

I admire you guys. Definitely hard work and dedication has paid off for you. I will admit I have lots to learn about solar and so much more about electrical. Five years ago I went to a trade school for solar got the hours, passed the associate level of NABCEP, and have been installing solar, roof mounts, ground mounts, pole mount, grid-tied, off grid. I really enjoy it but I have alot to learn which most of it comes through experience. I am trying to pass this professional level NABCEP after failing it once already. You guys are awesome and I am not trying to destroy anyone's integrity. I am trying to network and see what kind of anwers I can get.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Five years ago I went to a trade school for solar got the hours, passed the associate level of NABCEP, and have been installing solar, roof mounts, ground mounts, pole mount, grid-tied, off grid. I really enjoy it but I have alot to learn which most of it comes through experience.
                  OK have you considered getting an Electrical License? NABCEP does not qualify you to do anything. A Electrical License will take you a lot further. Every electrician is qualified to do solar, pull permits, pass inspections, and work on any electrical system. I am not saying do not pursue NABCEP, I am just saying you sound like you are qualified to do a lot more if you put the time and effort into it. Set your priorities and be realistic. Doing nothing and expecting something is easy and you see a lot of people doing that. Kind of what schools teach today. Don't buy into that crap. You get what you earned. Work hard, be passionate about it, and you will succeed. Be as diverse as you can. NABCEP is a one lane on highway, an EC License is a ticket to all lanes on a supper highway with lots of passing lanes.

Been a few years since I looked at NABCEP requirements to sit down and take the test, bu tif you already have a EC License you are exempt from all other requirements and just becomes a formality of paying your exam and membership fee and take the test. Take a NABCEP certification to take an EC test means nothing and does not qualify you to take any licensing exams. Not only does it take the trade school requirements, but 5 years of documented work experience. Sounds like you are there.
                  Last edited by Sunking; 10-05-2018, 06:23 PM.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by J.P.M.

That was a total of 12 years when I took it, 8 of which could be offset by a qualified degree and passing the fundamentals exam.
                    I was speaking in general terms, 9 to 10 years is minimum if you start after you complete Jr year and take the EIT exam. Each state is a bit different on what qualifications are required to take the finale PE exam, but most require 5 years of documented experience under the guidance of a PE and 2 or 3 certified letters from a PE endorsing your credentials. Kind of reminds me of Masons, not anyone can join the club, you have to work your but off, get noticed, and have to wait to be asked to join the fraternity. One Black Ball so to speak and you are out.

College grads today are not interested in PE Liscensure. They have it in their heads it is worthless ole school paper with no use in the modern world. It was always one of my interview questions both when I worked for someone, and especially anyone that wanted to work in my company. I always asked what they think early. Saves a lot of time. Answer wrong and interview is over. Next!

Without a License there are a lot of things you cannot do, like be held accountable and liable for your work. So when a kid tells me "that my PE License does not mean I know what I am doing", I could not agree more with them. I follow up with: "That is why I make a lot more money than you do, and I am certified, bonded, and responsible for my work". Worse thing that can happen to an unlicensed engineer screwing up is get fired. I get sued up to bankruptcy if I screw up.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

I was speaking in general terms, 9 to 10 years is minimum if you start after you complete Jr year and take the EIT exam. Each state is a bit different on what qualifications are required to take the finale PE exam, but most require 5 years of documented experience under the guidance of a PE and 2 or 3 certified letters from a PE endorsing your credentials. Kind of reminds me of Masons, not anyone can join the club, you have to work your but off, get noticed, and have to wait to be asked to join the fraternity. One Black Ball so to speak and you are out.

College grads today are not interested in PE Liscensure. They have it in their heads it is worthless ole school paper with no use in the modern world. It was always one of my interview questions both when I worked for someone, and especially anyone that wanted to work in my company. I always asked what they think early. Saves a lot of time. Answer wrong and interview is over. Next!

Without a License there are a lot of things you cannot do, like be held accountable and liable for your work. So when a kid tells me "that my PE License does not mean I know what I am doing", I could not agree more with them. I follow up with: "That is why I make a lot more money than you do, and I am certified, bonded, and responsible for my work". Worse thing that can happen to an unlicensed engineer screwing up is get fired. I get sued up to bankruptcy if I screw up.
                      One of my mentors cautioned about the hidden traps of licensure. He did failure analysis for Bechtel after he retired and had his character impugned regularly on the witness stand.

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                        One of my mentors cautioned about the hidden traps of licensure. He did failure analysis for Bechtel after he retired and had his character impugned regularly on the witness stand.
                        Can you imagine the review and inquiry engineers went through after 9/11 with 9 buildings collapsing?
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Can you imagine the review and inquiry engineers went through after 9/11 with 9 buildings collapsing?
                          And well they should. Once the media and the assholes get through the B.S. things like photoshopping the face of satan in the dust of the collapse, who better to get at the truth (if that's still possible) of the mechanics of failure.

Comment

Working...