X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcjohnso99
    • Jan 2018

Brian From Ottawa, new owner of an off-grid cabin

Hi,

My wife and I just bought a cabin in the forest. It's totally off-grid: no electrical grid, no city water, no cell service, but still has property taxes

Currently, water is collected from rainfall, electricity comes from a small generator, general heat by wood stove and appliances are on propane.

I plan to add a solar array with a battery bank and relegate the generator to emergency duty.

I've been reading a lot and have a good idea what I want but the devil is always in the details so am looking forward to hearing from those who have lived and learned.

Brian
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

When you say "forest" My first question would be, do you have a location that isn't going to be affected by shadows from trees? This time of year would be quite telling as the sun is riding low in the sky.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• bcjohnso99
      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by littleharbor
      When you say "forest" My first question would be, do you have a location that isn't going to be affected by shadows from trees? This time of year would be quite telling as the sun is riding low in the sky.
      The previous owner cleared the trees on the water side, which is south, and on a hill!

I think I get an install location where the panels will get direct access to the sun for the bulk of the day.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

What % of, say, a year do you plan on living on the property ?

What do you currently know about living off grid ? Any experience ?

What do you know about energy conservation, solar energy and electricity ?

Depending on the answers to the above, be prepared for some possibly major lifestyle adjustments.

A lot of pre learning before you make the leap will help ease the transition a bit.

Welcome to the neighborhood and the forum of few(er) illusions.

Comment

• bcjohnso99
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          What % of, say, a year do you plan on living on the property ?

What do you currently know about living off grid ? Any experience ?

What do you know about energy conservation, solar energy and electricity ?

Depending on the answers to the above, be prepared for some possibly major lifestyle adjustments.

A lot of pre learning before you make the leap will help ease the transition a bit.

Welcome to the neighborhood and the forum of few(er) illusions.
          Our family (H+W+2 boys) have been camping for years, including on islands and deep in the bush so we are fairly used to living without the amenities of the city. This cabin is really meant to be a home base outside of the city from which we will launch hunting and fishing excursions. We'll likely not spend more than a couple weeks at a time there as the boys have activities and we've still got a decade or so left in our office careers.

My wife has a electrical engineering degree and I have been puttering with wiring on boats and RVs, including a very basic portable 12V panel + PWM controller to charge the boat batteries when on excursions.

No doubt we have lots to learn. In a few years we'll start looking to build our retirement home so this adventure will provide a bit more experience.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bcjohnso99

Our family (H+W+2 boys) have been camping for years, including on islands and deep in the bush so we are fairly used to living without the amenities of the city. This cabin is really meant to be a home base outside of the city from which we will launch hunting and fishing excursions. We'll likely not spend more than a couple weeks at a time there as the boys have activities and we've still got a decade or so left in our office careers.

My wife has a electrical engineering degree and I have been puttering with wiring on boats and RVs, including a very basic portable 12V panel + PWM controller to charge the boat batteries when on excursions.

No doubt we have lots to learn. In a few years we'll start looking to build our retirement home so this adventure will provide a bit more experience.
            Respectfully: Look before you leap.

Also, don't expect much of any of the accessible exterior equipment to remain if unattended for stretches of time.

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

Before designing anything, you need to accurately access just what power will be needed, and just
              what a solar system can generate at the time you would be there. A Solar Pathfinder or equivalent
              gauge can tell you when the sun will unobstructed at your location, for times of the year.

Batteries are a constant maintenance item with very limited storage capacity. You might need to
              take them with you when you leave. Bruce Roe

Comment

• bcjohnso99
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by bcroe
                Before designing anything, you need to accurately access just what power will be needed, and just
                what a solar system can generate at the time you would be there. A Solar Pathfinder or equivalent
                gauge can tell you when the sun will unobstructed at your location, for times of the year.

Batteries are a constant maintenance item with very limited storage capacity. You might need to
                take them with you when you leave. Bruce Roe
                It gets extremely cold in the winter so we'll pack up the solution for the off season and bring the batteries back to the city to stay warm and topped up.

We'll keep the generator to top up in poor PV weather and as the sole source in the off-season if we go up for winter activities.

Comment

Working...