X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC, Canada

Hi all - I'm interested in environmental concerns including renewable energy, and solar power in particular.

I'm exploring turning it into a (second) career - "be the change" and all that. I've done basic training for sizing of grid and off-grid systems. Hands-on training is less available in the area. I'm exploring possibilities. I'd be happy to land in a sales role, or even public policy and such.

Originally posted by mpghm View Post
    Hi all - I'm interested in environmental concerns including renewable energy, and solar power in particular.

I'm exploring turning it into a (second) career - "be the change" and all that. I've done basic training for sizing of grid and off-grid systems. Hands-on training is less available in the area. I'm exploring possibilities. I'd be happy to land in a sales role, or even public policy and such.
    welcome!

I'm afraid this is not the correct site for such career start- if you run Google search you'd notice it is often referred to as anti- solar, despite misleading name . Problem is this board has members who are more into engineering than management / politics and that inevitably leads to much more sober point of view at the area. Out of curiosity- what is your first career?

Comment

I work in high-tech/software.

I don't mind a sober point of view if it's based on facts.

Comment

I work in high-tech/software.

there are few engineers here, several professional installers, many DIY members. Many people come by with unrealistic expectations on what solar can deliver and leave disappointed when their baseless optimism is not shared. Trouble is laws of nature don't care nor economy does, it's actually quite sad the solar has been way over- hyped. The hard truth it is not economically feasible even in locations like AZ, NV, CA without significant subsidies and ability to use grid as 'infinite battery' (net metering) so one doesn't have to install local one. NV cancelled that second 'net metering' option about 2 years ago and it killed solar industry in the state almost immediately even though federal 30% tax credit was still there. IMO going into solar sales nowadays would be career dead end, the peak here in CA was short lived and already passed year or two ago. I see less and less local installers around, many went bankrupt this year. NV just as suddenly reinstated net metering this year.

Comment

From what I've seen around here in the last 4+years, that would seem to put you with the minority of posters to this forum. From what you describe as your R.E. knowledge, you sound more qualified than most PV sales folks I've come across.

But, Pretty much agreeing with Max, the solar ship has probably left port, at least in the U.S.

Canadian sensibilities and the common sense that often goes with it may extend the robust life of PV in the provinces a bit longer.

BTW, welcome to the neighborhood and the forum of few(er) illusions.

Comment

mpghm ,

I think, there is money to made by selling new installations.
            Many people are not capable of, or do not want to perform, a DIY PV install.
            Maybe, you can locate a growing PV company that needs help closing leads ?

Comment

Working...
            X