X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by M6050
    Just to add..............the actuators are 50 watts each. If I remember correctly the gates (2 8ft swing gates) open in less than 10 seconds. Once opened they pause and then close after 20 seconds.We will be opening/closing approx. 5 times a day.
    Ok. Then your battery system may be able to do that work since each time is pretty short duration. One problem I have seen is that as the battery gets discharged the controller has a "low voltage cutoff" which stops the movement if the surge to start moving the gate is high. If the gate is balanced and swings easily then you probably won't see that power surge to start to move it. Keeping the linkage clean and lubricated will also reduce friction and load surges.

Comment

• M6050
      • May 2017

Can you recommend a good charge controller? Also, is it correct to put a Shottky blocking diode in the positive line from panel to controller? I have a few 50 volt 10 amp available if so.

Thanks

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Can you recommend a good charge controller? Also, is it correct to put a Shottky blocking diode in the positive line from panel to controller? I have a few 50 volt 10 amp available if so.

Thanks
        I would check to see if the gate controller has a "charging" circuit since it is supposed to be designed to accept a solar panel input.

If not then a simple 15Amp PWM CC can be used for the little wattage you plan on using. Just make sure the CC can charge a 24V battery system.

The solar panel should already have the diodes installed so I do not believe you will need any additional but again it depends on the gate opener circuitry if one is required or not.

Comment

• M6050
          • May 2017

Okay, got everything connected to Morningstar Prostar 12/24 Volt charge controller. Batteries are showing 24 Volts. The load is showning 24 volts but when I connect it to my gate opener control board it drops to 12 volt. Opener is a 24 volt system. Any ideas?

Comment

• max2k
            • May 2015

Okay, got everything connected to Morningstar Prostar 12/24 Volt charge controller. Batteries are showing 24 Volts. The load is showning 24 volts but when I connect it to my gate opener control board it drops to 12 volt. Opener is a 24 volt system. Any ideas?
            one of the batteries in reverse polarity or bad contact somewhere?

Comment

Working...