X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SGTChas
    • Mar 2016

New member from south eastern WV in the high mountains.

Starting from scratch trying to learn solar / wind / controller / battery configurations / wiring for a camper with a soon to be built sun room that will be totally off grid. Water will be spring fed and the camper comes wired for 3000 watts max at 30 amps. It has a 12v internal inverter, DC / propane fridge. propane heater (going rocket mass heater). Adding a 20 x 16 south facing addition (the real WV built on camper deal). It's in the middle of almost 200 acres and WELL off the beaten path. Notice, I need any and all help and suggestions please.
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Hello SGTChas, and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

I recommend that you start by looking at the sticky threads in the Off Grid topic area, then start new threads of your own with any questions or concerns.
    There will be lots of members ready to help you.
    For long term use as opposed to occasional use you need to realize that a 3000W inverter is way too big to be properly supported on a 12V battery system. So you will want to make sure you do not need that much power, go to a higher system voltage, with the expense of changing out some existing components, or rely on a generator for the big loads.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• gmanInPA
      Solar Fanatic
      • Mar 2016

SGTChas - I have a friend down that way who runs Stoves and More (Franklin WV I think?) and specializes in helping with off-grid setups. He could probably help you with just about all of that.

I agree with inetdog - 3000W seems very high for 12 V. I also think it sounds too big for a camper.

Comment

Working...