X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keith o
    • Feb 2016

New Person

Hi, forced off grid, barely surviving. Parkinson's and Siezures keep me down alot. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

So far 2x 215 watt panels
    Cobra 1500 watt inverter.
    2× D8 batteries
    E-Sky Charge controller

Want to add alternator on windmill because wind is more advantageous. TIA
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Hello Keith o and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

Small wind is highly overrated and really only makes sense in very limited conditions. It sounds like you would have a hard time with the necessary maintenance for a wind turbine in any case.

SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Keith o
      • Feb 2016

20 mph constant wind at the top of the summit. Never without wind especially at night.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

A Inetdog notes, the maint. on a wind turbine is usually a lot more than most folks know about/consider. Usually, known or not, that can be a deal killer. Just walk in with your eyes open.

Comment

• Logan005
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2015

Forced off grid? is grid still avail? What do you use the inverter for?
          4X Suniva 250 watt, 8X t-105, OB Fx80, dc4812vrf

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

Check out the sticky threads on Off Grid, in particular the ones on system and battery sizing. If you have a good idea of what your actual power needs are we can give you a better idea of what sort of a balanced system will meet your needs.

If your big concerns leading to wind are power at night and more importantly power in the middle of winter then wind may have a place in your design. Do you also have a generator? It is important to avoid killing your batteries prematurely.

Comment

• Keith o
              • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Logan005
              Forced off grid? is grid still avail? What do you use the inverter for?
              Tv, xbox and, wireless internet router

Comment

• Keith o
                • Feb 2016

Grid not available

Comment

• Keith o
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by inetdog
                  Check out the sticky threads on Off Grid, in particular the ones on system and battery sizing. If you have a good idea of what your actual power needs are we can give you a better idea of what sort of a balanced system will meet your needs.

If your big concerns leading to wind are power at night and more importantly power in the middle of winter then wind may have a place in your design. Do you also have a generator? It is important to avoid killing your batteries prematurely.
                  I run my tv, xbox and wireless internet. A total of 200 watts max.

Comment

• inetdog
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by Keith o

I run my tv, xbox and wireless internet. A total of 200 watts max.

A good start. You also need to factor in how long you will be running each, especially TV and xbox.
                    200W times 24 hours is 4.8kWh and that is not a small system. ]
                    OTOH 100W times 4 hours and 20W times 24 hours is only 880Wh and much easier to support.

Comment

• Keith o
                      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by inetdog

A good start. You also need to factor in how long you will be running each, especially TV and xbox.
                      200W times 24 hours is 4.8kWh and that is not a small system. ]
                      OTOH 100W times 4 hours and 20W times 24 hours is only 880Wh and much easier to support.
                      I want to be able to run these 24 7 . They are really only about 150 but i always overestimate needs and supply. All 3 must run for life to be normal here. My only contact with world some days

Comment

• Logan005
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Nov 2015

I do not know X-box, does the AC power it directly, or does it use a brick transformer? the Wifi runs on 12 volts and your TV either runs on 110vac 12vdc or 19vdc, if it runs on AC replace it with one that runs on DC. If you eliminate the inverter, you greatly increase your efficiency especially if you wish to run 24X7

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

Welcome (sad considering the situation you are in)
                          So can we get some background information from you

Is it a conventional house, with in-the-wall wiring ?

Was it ever grid connected? Restoring the Grid connection will cost much less than solar/wind batteries will cost you, Even a year deposit prepaid to the Grid, is cheaper than the PV needed to meet your request,

Someone else brought up the necessity of a backup generator. There are some manual key turn electric start models that would be suitable for backup use,

How will you address battery maintenance ? Beyond adding distilled water monthly, terminal torque tests and cleaning.

your loads don't include a fridge or heating appliance, Are you using wood heat? Propane? Does it need blower fan ? Water pump? Sewage Pump, sump pump?
                          Fridge will add at least 1Kwh to daily load
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Keith o
                            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Mike90250
                            Welcome (sad considering the situation you are in)
                            So can we get some background information from you

Is it a conventional house, with in-the-wall wiring ?

Was it ever grid connected? Restoring the Grid connection will cost much less than solar/wind batteries will cost you, Even a year deposit prepaid to the Grid, is cheaper than the PV needed to meet your request,

Someone else brought up the necessity of a backup generator. There are some manual key turn electric start models that would be suitable for backup use,

How will you address battery maintenance ? Beyond adding distilled water monthly, terminal torque tests and cleaning.

your loads don't include a fridge or heating appliance, Are you using wood heat? Propane? Does it need blower fan ? Water pump? Sewage Pump, sump pump?
                            Fridge will add at least 1Kwh to daily load
                            The house WAS grid connected. It was moved. 5 k to have a transformer put in then i still have a monthly bill. Screw that for that same five grand i can power 3 houses.

I have a 12 volt 8 amp fridge/freezer. Propane gas stove, dryer and heater. We never go over 800 watts at any time.

Sealed gel batteries no maintenance. I can do amything laying down, walking is a problem.

We have no well yet but that will have its own battery and solar. As will the sewage pump.

Comment

• Logan005
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Nov 2015

In the long run it will be cheaper to pay the 5K and adopt the minimal POCO bill, likely less than 50 per mo. or you could spend 5K on a FLA battery bank and replace it every 4 to 5 years, 2 to 3 years for properly maintained Gels. If you use FLA's and make it to 5 years, broken down monthly and given incidentals you will likely average in excess of 100 per month. so you chose.

Comment

Working...