X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heefage
    • Jul 2010

Louisiana

A big hello from Louisiana. I have worked in the oil industry most of my life, either on drilling rigs or surveying for pipelines, and after BP's fudge Im seriously contemplating getting into the solar field, as an installer. Im pretty new to alternative energy so im researching as much as i can before taking a formal training class.
  • MarineLiner
    Solar Skipper
    • May 2009

Welcome onboard and thanks for joining.
    I'm sure we can learn fast in this forum from the many questions and answers here.

Comment

• heefage
      • Jul 2010

thanks.

I havent made my mind up whether to take a hands on, intensive class or take an internet class that lasts several weeks. If I take the hands-on class I will be attending our states community college, and if I take the on-line class I will most likely take PV101 through solarenergy.org

Im hoping to pass the NABCEP Entry Level Exam and get a job at one of our states solar energy companies.

Is solar energy even a profitable career in Louisiana right now? Ive found that some states only have a handful of certified PV installers.

After getting the NABCEP Entry Level Certificate will my chances be greater at being hired by solar companies around the state?

Comment

• Jason
        Administrator
        • Dec 2008

Hi heefage,

First, thanks a million for registering with Solar Panel Talk. There is a wealth on info to get you started with learning about the industry.

There are a few NABCEP certified members here on the forum. I've never taken it, but from what I understand it's pretty difficult. I think having it would increase your chances of employment, because it's the most well known industry standard certification.

If you can get hands on, it would definitely be more beneficial then online courses. You could also look for volunteer opportunities for installations, or call around different solar companies and ask to shadow/internship to gain more experience and get to network with others in the field.

Good luck.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by heefage
          Im hoping to pass the NABCEP Entry Level Exam and get a job at one of our states solar energy companies.
          NABCEP is not recognized by any Authority Having Jurisdiction. You cannot pull a permit, or work on the electrical. Be sure to read this quote from NABCEP.

The knowledge demonstrated by passing this test does not replace the knowledge, skills or abilities of the electrical or other construction trades, or those of other professions or degree programs that require considerably more academic and/or practical experience.

After getting the NABCEP Entry Level Certificate will my chances be greater at being hired by solar companies around the state?
          Not really, you will need a Louisiana Electrical Contractor License.

Are you prepared for a pay cut? I know a lot of people that work oil and drilling companies, and those guys make $30 to $50 per hour. Solar installers pay is going to be Minimum wage up to $10 to $12 per hour.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• heefage
            • Jul 2010

I was making $14 on the rig and $12 on the pipeline so its right in my price range.

You could also look for volunteer opportunities for installations, or call around different solar companies and ask to shadow/internship to gain more experience and get to network with others in the field.
            This is what I figure: Pass the NABCEP Entry Level test, get hired and work as an "installer's helper" for a year or two, then step up and go for the installer certification after ive gained enough experience.
            My worry is getting the entry level cert. and every solar company i call turns me down. Then, ill have a useless cert. and have wasted $1,000.

Ill probably end up calling some companies before i even take the course to ease my mind.

Thanks for the input guys. Im sure ill have many more questions in due time.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

I was making $14 on the rig and $12 on the pipeline so its right in my price range.
              I don't think you understood what I said. Only the licensed electricians earn the top wage. Electricians do not need NABCEP as their EC license far exceeds the NABCEP certifications. EC liscense is required to do the electrical and pull permits.

Installers, the roofers, make minimum wage up to $7 to $8 for an experienced laborer or Crew Leader.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• heefage
                • Jul 2010

Installers, the roofers, make minimum wage up to $7 to $8 for an experienced laborer or Crew Leader.
                Whoa... This will slow me down a bit. I was sure that being a certified installer through NABCEP would produce a little more cheese than $8 an hour. I could dig ditches for $8 an hour!

Ill definitely be calling the companies around here and asking their wages before going through with this.

Dont know how accurate this is, but according to payscale.com a certified installer's salary is $11-$19 an hour.

Employees with a NABCEP Solar PV Installer Certification
                Hourly Rate Ranges by Job Title
                National Hourly Rate Data
                Solar Energy System Installer $11.67 - $19.83

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

Whoa... This will slow me down a bit. I was sure that being a certified installer through NABCEP would produce a little more cheese than $8 an hour. I could dig ditches for $8 an hour!
                  That is the point I am trying to make you aware of, NABCEP Certification is not recognized by any Authority Having Jurisdiction. It is not a license or proof you have any training, education, or experience.

Go back to where I quoted NABCEP with:

The knowledge demonstrated by passing this test does not replace the knowledge, skills or abilities of the electrical or other construction trades, or those of other professions or degree programs that require considerably more academic and/or practical experience.

The real money makers are the electricians with a 2 year degree and 5 year apprenticeship training (2000 hours of billable hours), plus passing a written comprehensive exam at the end of the required periods.

Any undocumented, non English speaking laborer can be a certified installer. They are called Roofers here in TX.

Ill definitely be calling the companies around here and asking their wages before going through with this.
                  I certainly hope so before you dive in and learn what local conditions are.

Dont know how accurate this is, but according to payscale.com a certified installer's salary is $11-$19 an hour.
                  OK stop and think about it for a minute. Where is 75% of the US solar market that makes up this national average? Answer California. McDonalds employees make that much in California flipping burgers. I suspect pay scales and cost of living are a lot lower in Louisiana.

I do a lot of design build work in West TX, NM, and AZ. The typical Solar Contractor is not primarily a solar contractor. They are Electrical Contractors who do solar as one of their niche fields and makes up a small percentage of the core business (residential-commercial electrical). When they get a solar job they sub out roofers to install the panels and cut roof penetrations, then they have one Journeyman Electrician and one apprentice wire it out, commission the system, and cut it into service.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• heefage
                    • Jul 2010

@Sunking

I start monday on a four semester journey into instrumentation technology. At our local community college i asked the career counselor what would be the best program to become an electrician and she set me up with a schedule. In two years I will have my associates degree. Hopefuly in four years ill be installing those panels. Thanks for all the helpful information!

Comment

Working...