X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Suby
    • Jun 2015

Duel-Axis TSAT Tip-Tilt Ground Installation in Texas

New to the DIY solar but with some research completed I would like to purchase panels in near future. My forum question and focus is on tracking. My goal is a grid connected 6kw system, tracking mount, 4 parallel units of 6 panels.

Economics: Texas has deregulated electric utilities so all surplus energy can be sold back against the utility bill.

Installation plan: With benefit of 2 acres I would like to build a ground install. Expanding on the work of many others, the install would use concepts from the commercially available and DIY duel-axis systems.

Axis 1: Tip-tilt system. Tip-Tilt (TSAT) uses a motor/actuator to follow the sun from East to West. For rotation I would like to use a set time interval/degree of rotation electric motor. This is similar to DIY projects using a TV rotor to power the rotation.

Axis 2: Elevation for season, I would use a manual winch to raise and lower the panels monthly. Although not true duel axis, the cost vs efficiency is reasonable.Axis 1 TipTilt Follow.jpgAxis 2 Seasonal 1.jpgAxis 2 Seasonal 2.jpg

I would appreciate any direction or comments on the plan.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Economics: Texas has deregulated electric utilities so all surplus energy can be sold back against the utility bill.
    the operative word being CAN and the buyer determines the price, which might be 2¢
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

the operative word being CAN and the buyer determines the price, which might be 2¢
      But at least you can contract with a third party "green" electrical provider who will use the local POCO lines to "wheel" power to you and will be happy to set up net metering in exchange for a higher base price for your electricity.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Suby
        • Jun 2015

Economics

Currently have the smart meter installed. There are 26 companies with 59 plans available. Sell back is 100% with an average of $.08 on a 24 month contract.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Why would you waste money on a Tracker?

Trackers ae high maintenance and only required if space is limited. It is less expensive to just add more panels.

As far as TX goes, TX does not have net metering which means they pay whatever they want. In your case 8 cents is good, but most Texans can buy it for less then 8-cents. My bet is they will charge you a lot more than 8 cents for what you buy from them.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• tehan
            Solar Fanatic
            • May 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
            As far as TX goes, TX does not have net metering which means they pay whatever they want. In your case 8 cents is good, but most Texans can buy it for less then 8-cents.
            Net metering options in Texas depend on where you live, but in many cases are better than you might think. In the big cities, where there is a competitive retail market, you can get full net metering where the rate you pay for any balance is about 2c over best available offer. That's not a bad deal if you are building a system to meet most of you demand so that your net purchase is very small. The rural cooperative in the area where I have a small lake-house offers an even better deal: full net metering on PV systems up to 10 kW with any net balance paid at their standard retail rates (which are of course kind of high to begin with I suspect one of the reasons these deals are available is because not many are taking advantage of them.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Suby
              New to the DIY solar but with some research completed I would like to purchase panels in near future. My forum question and focus is on tracking. My goal is a grid connected 6kw system, tracking mount, 4 parallel units of 6 panels.

Installation plan: With benefit of 2 acres I would like to build a ground install. Expanding on the work of many others, the install would use concepts from the commercially available and DIY duel-axis systems.

Axis 1: Tip-tilt system. Tip-Tilt (TSAT) uses a motor/actuator to follow the sun from East to West. For rotation I would like to use a set time interval/degree of rotation electric motor. This is similar to DIY projects using a TV rotor to power the rotation.

Axis 2: Elevation for season, I would use a manual winch to raise and lower the panels monthly. Although not true duel axis, the cost vs efficiency is reasonable.[ATTACH]7111[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7112[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7113[/ATTACH]

I would appreciate any direction or comments on the plan.
              Your daily "tilt" system sounds interesting but I will caution you on underestimating the electric motor horsepower required to move a 6 panel array. Besides the weight of the panels and frames you need to design for wind loading to make sure your array doesn't "bend" in a strong wind. Before you finish the design I am afraid the material and maintenance cost may be prohibited compared to just adding a few more panels on a fixed South facing direction.

Comment

Working...