X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Araucaria
    • Jun 2010

New member - solar hot water

I am new to this forum but I am fairly sure someone will be able to point me to previous discussions of my questions.

I live in a sunny bit of France, at about 45degrees north, and I have a good unobstructed south-facing aspect in my garden. I have a pool (60 cubic meters - about 15,000 gallons) that is currently unheated, and a fairly large house which has a wood-fired boiler/furnace (wood-chips automatically loaded via an archimedes screw from a big silo).

I'm right now building a shed in the garden to take solar water heating panels on its roof. The shed will be about 15 feet long, 5 feet wide, and will have a 45 degree roof facing due south. The roof area will be about 10 square meters (about 90 square feet).

I am hoping that it will be possible to put 10 m2 of solar panels on the roof, to enable me to heat the pool a little in spring and autumn, and provide domestic hot water in summer and maybe even a bit in winter. In mid-summer the pool doesn't really need heating - last year it got to 30 degrees centigrade (86 fahrenheit).

What I don't know is what will happen if I find I have installed too much heating area - what happens with the excess heat? Is it a minor problem (the hot taps get very hot indeed?) or a major one (everything melts?).

I should add that the shed and the house are not very close together - about 150 feet apart. I plan to bury the pipe run and make sure the pipes are insulated.

And this isn't entirely about economics either. The wood-chip boiler is efficient but noisy - from time to time it groans like a cow in pain - and using it less, particularly in summer - would be a benefit in itself.
  • Jason
    Administrator
    • Dec 2008

Hi and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

I appreciate you registering and hope you are getting your questions answered. I noticed you asked this same question in another thread and got some replies.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing you around.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Heating pool water and domestic hot water, needs to be 2 separate systems. Pool needs low temp collectors, and household needs high temp collectors and storage tanks. The pool could be the dump for excess heat from the household heat.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...