X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emmen
    • Jun 2010

90w Solar setup for my teardrop RV

Hi all.
    I just signed up because I'm about to do a 90w system on my teardrop RV.

It's got quite a few electronics built into it (yes I'm a techie) - 15" flat screen TV/DVD, Infinity component speakers in the cabin and galley (kitchen area under the rear hatch), iPod wall mounted dock, as well as typical 12v cabin lights, water pump and propane furnace. The AC is the only thing that can't run off of the 12v battery.
    There is a flat spot on the roof near the front of the trailer that is just begging me to put a solar panel there. I've already ordered a 90w UL Solar panel, (that's all the room I have) and a SunSaver 10a controller.

Before the parts arrive I hope to learn a lot more about solar so that I set up the system in the most effective way.
    Thanks for providing this great forum!
  • Jason
    Administrator
    • Dec 2008

Hi Emmen,

Thanks for registering and sharing the photo!

Be sure to update us with some pics once you get your setup complete and feel free to ask any questions. See you around.

Jason

Comment

• Uechi Kid
      • Jun 2010

It seems to that you would want your panel to be on a portable stand. When I take our camper out I try to park it in the shade. If your panel was portable you would be able to move the panel as needed to keep it in the sun.
      "Carpe Diem"

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by emmen
        It's got quite a few electronics built into it (yes I'm a techie) - 15" flat screen TV/DVD, Infinity component speakers in the cabin and galley (kitchen area under the rear hatch), iPod wall mounted dock, as well as typical 12v cabin lights, water pump
        So how do you plan on supplying power for all that stuff? A 90 watt panel is not going to do it all unless you only intend to run them a couple of minutes each day...
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• pengyou
          • Jun 2010

If you put your panel on a stand to make it portable someone may walk off with it.

Comment

• MarineLiner
            Solar Skipper
            • May 2009

Originally posted by pengyou
            .... someone may walk off with it.

Comment

• pengyou
              • Jun 2010

have you ever thought of mounting the solar panels on top of your suv, so that you can park that out in the hot, sweltering sun and leave your tear drop rv in the shade? That way when the thief tries to steal your suv to get your solar panels, he will burn his buns on the hot front seat!!! You can let that thought satisfy you while you sit in your tear drop rv shedding your own tears watching the tv that won't turn on because the thief has stolen your solar panels and has burned his buns while driving the car away.

Comment

• Uechi Kid
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by pengyou
                If you put your panel on a stand to make it portable someone may walk off with it.
                The same thing could be said about potable satellite disks yet you see them all the time..
                "Carpe Diem"

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Uechi Kid
                  The same thing could be said about potable satellite disks yet you see them all the time..
                  But the antenna is useless without the special radio that goes with it. A solar panel is useful on it's own, and costs 3x a simple antenna.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• legaleagle
                    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Mike90250
                    ... An rental rv solar panel is useful on it's own, and costs 3x a simple antenna.
                    That makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• teardropper
                      • Sep 2010

Hey, I'm new to this forum, too. I see you have a Raindrop. A CampInn 560 Ultra, here. I've had solar on a larger RV and had it on a stand with about 20' of cable so it could go into the sun, while the rig was in the shade. I haven't wanted to put my solar on the teardrop, only because, so far, I haven't boondockred for longer than my battery lasts, a 75 a/h deep cycle. But I can see you run more things than I do, too. Putting it on a stand means you have to carry it somewhere when traveling. Trade offs. It would be more convenient to have it mounted, but, as mentioned, you have to park in the sun. 'Course with a teardrop you're not in it much (at all) during the day, so that might not be a problem.

I have seen solar on teardrops, at some of the larger rallies. Most mounted them on top.

I'll, hopefully be following your progress on this forum.

Comment

Working...