X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OrdinaryBeauty
    • Sep 2014

Feeling clever and confused in NE Washington State - new member

I've constructed the shell of a lovely little building in the-middle-of-nowhere, and it's time to get more done. "More" means, in particular, get an off-grid solar system designed and installed.

I like this forum — it has the most information and conversation that I have found anywhere. Why-oh-why didn't I find all y'all three years ago when I started studying and planning?

I am opting for solar for several reasons. My property is remote, the closest point of 'normal' power is a good half mile away. I'd just as soon have my own source of power, even if more costly. Etc.

I am building a 'studio', all legal with permits and such. But I am building to residential codes, so that some day it will be feasible to upgrade the structure to a residence.

In usual country fashion, we are making things happen as we can, with a good dose of make-do and innovation.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Welcome.

Do you have enough sun in winter time to make it worth while ?
    PV watts is the standard calculator to see if it's worthwhile.
    Estimates the energy production and cost of energy of grid-connected photovoltaic (PV) energy systems throughout the world. It allows homeowners, small building owners, installers and manufacturers to easily develop estimates of the performance of potential PV installations
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Starting point is to determine your daily watt hour usage. Then read this stickie and come back with questions. Winter will be your downfall and you will need a generator. Don't eliminate the idea of bringing in commercial power as it is likely to be the least expensive long term solution. Depends on how much power you need and location.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• OrdinaryBeauty
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
        Welcome.

Do you have enough sun in winter time to make it worth while ?
        PV watts is the standard calculator to see if it's worthwhile.
        http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/
        Thank you.

The winter sun might be less than ideal; the good days are mighty fine, but the days are short and the angle meek. I've been really watching how it tracks and am beginning to accept that I will have to take out a tree or two for best results.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by OrdinaryBeauty
          the good days are mighty fine,
          Not so much as your December/January Sun Hours are a whopping 1 hour. Nothing fine about 1 Sun Hour per day. What that means if you had a 100 watt panel from Sun Up to Sun Down would generate 100 watts x 1 hour = 100 watt hours.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

So, counting on 1 hour per day in clear weather, you can run a couple of small lights and maybe a laptop or tablet & charge a cell phone. Not a lot of appliances, unless you want to invest in a huge system. So summer, spring & fall, may be OK, and winter is generator power. I'm able to manage with less than 3 hours runtime in the winter here in Northern California, when it's cloudy and no solar harvest (going out today to get another 10 gallons of red diesel).
            So, make a list of the gear, wattage, and hours per item:
            Wireless Router 30watts 24hr =720wh
            Fridge 100w 12 hr
            lights (4) 20w 8 hours
            tv 120w 3 hr =360wh
            DVD player 40w 3 hr = 120 wh

Total up the wh and that's your daily load. Don't need the fridge in winter, so when you can't keep it going , unplug it. And watch out for the little 20 watt stuff, that NEVER turns off. That will eat as much power as a fridge ! We call them Vampire Loads.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...