• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • curtis63
    • Aug 2014

Howdie Folks !!!

Good morning,

Great to meet all of you.

I'm researching this whole idea of putting Solar Panels on my home. There are lots of things to consider. Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. I use an average of 1300 kWh per month.
    2. I pay an average of $162 per month to the electric company
    3. I am CHEAP and want the best bang for the buck.
    4. Estimates seem to vary GREATLY. How do I know which installers/suppliers are the best?
    5. Should I install the panels myself, or hire an installer?
    6. Should I use a Solar Tracking System for the panels on my roof?
    7. What are the pitfalls for Solar Panels?
    8. Is there anybody out there with a 5+ year old system that can give me some pointers?

Anyway, great to meet you all.

See ya later,
    Curtis
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Well at 12-cents per Kwh delivered it is going to be real tough to justify solar as the payback will be a very long time, and that is only if you can make your neighbors pay for half the system cost. If your state does not force your neighbors pay for most of it I would reconsider.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Welcome to Solar Panel Talk Curtis.

If you haven't already I would start a new post in the Solar Grid tie area and ask your questions there.

I can maybe help get you started by saying your electric costs are really low and the payback on a grid tie solar system could be pretty long depending on what type of rebates you can get where you live.

Next suggestion would be to stay away from any type of tracking system. They are usually high maintenance and do not yield much more in kWh harvest. It is usually cheaper just to add a few more solar panels.

Comment

Working...